This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2011 5:55 AM by soopahman RSS

Upgraded from BB Curve to HTC Evo Shift - Email Issues

GLONEAR Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

Last week I upgraded from my BB Curve to the HTC Evo Shift.  After getting all of my emails set up, I realized that I no longer have the option of just deleting emails on the phone only.  I like to keep emails on main server, for reference purposes.  I do not like all of those same emails accumulating on the email accounts set up on the phone.  For a number of reason's, but right now .. I guess my main issue would be security issues.  Anyone that picked up/used my phone has easy access to all of those emails.

I've been assured by Sprint customer service and all of my recent on-line reading and research, that I definitely do not have the capability of deleting those emails on phone only.  I guess I have to swallow that and accept it.    My question .. to anyone who may have my same thoughts and issues with this .. do you have any advice as to what I can do?  Perhaps, I should not have these accounts set up, as I do, so that they come through automatically on my phone? Maybe I just need to access my email accounts (on my phone) via web only .. logging in and out, each time I need to access??  What a pain ...      

I sure would appreciate hearing about how others may be handling this issue. 

Thanks much!

Glo

• 1. Upgraded from BB Curve to HTC Evo Shift - Email Issues
    14KNIGHT Sprint Employee

I have replicated the issue using an AOL account the only solution that I found with that service is to go into the recently deleted folder and select restore which moves it to the read mail.   This may or not be possible with your mail service.

• 2. Upgraded from BB Curve to HTC Evo Shift - Email Issues
    GLONEAR Newbie

Hi Knight,

Thanks for the feedback/suggestion. 

Do you .. or anyone out there, know if this is something that may be "fixed" on a future update?  Can I hope?  This really is a huge problem, in my mind. 

Glo

• 3. Upgraded from BB Curve to HTC Evo Shift - Email Issues
    soopahman Expert

Hi Glo,

This is kind of a weird request. You can in fact do this, it's just strange to want to do it - it's kind of a technological/convenience step backwards. That said I understand wanting to keep emails off of the phone in a high-security situation (although the emails are also out there on the internet, being transmitted in plain text, so they're inherently low security by being email...). Is the email account you're trying to keep emails off of the phone for a Gmail account or some other kind of account (like AOL, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc)? The instructions differ depending on your answer.

Generally: The Mail app (as opposed to the Gmail app) supports fetching email over POP. Any email fetched over POP is a local copy which you can freely delete anytime without deleting it from the email server (It also happens to be the old way of doing email). Most email accounts in the world are already POP-enabled and you just have to google "AOL POP" or whatever account it is to figure out how to set it up in the Mail app. Gmail requires logging into the web interface and specifically enabling POP in Settings. If your primary Gmail account is the one you're having trouble with, turn off syncing email to the phone on the Gmail side, and enable POP for it in the Mail app.

• 4. Re: Upgraded from BB Curve to HTC Evo Shift - Email Issues
    GLONEAR Newbie

Hi Soopahman,

I appreciate your response to my post.  Over the past couple of days I took the time to look up what settings I needed to have as far as setting my Yahoo mail up over POP.  I could only do that if I had purchased a premium service with Yahoo .. and I had, so no problem for me.  So .. I now have my Yahoo premium email program set up so that I can delete email on my phone and it is left on the server.    

Now if I could just figure out how to do that with my work email.  I talked to the techs in our office and they indicate that there is no way to set up my personal work email over "POP".  Oh well .. at least the yahoo one is "fixed". 

Thanks!  

Glo

• 5. Upgraded from BB Curve to HTC Evo Shift - Email Issues
    soopahman Expert

Do they do IMAP or Exchange only? Or do they not offer external access at all?

If it's IMAP the setup is almost exactly the same. If it's Exchange it gets a little more complex - you need to add an Exchange ActiveSync account under Settings > Accounts & sync. I've never used this feature so I'm not certain as to whether you can separate your phone email from the server copy.

Obviously if your IT dept does not offer external access, then you're locked out by design.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...