This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2011 2:13 PM by t-bags Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Albany, NY - Any word on when we get 4G?
    WWILLIAMS518 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

I was connected to 4G near Central Ave and N Allen today. Was a pretty weak signal, ended up with nothing a few blocks south. But, it's in the area!

• 16. Albany, NY - Any word on when we get 4G?
    TUGHILLRIDER Newbie

4G signal is active right now as I write this message. The cell tower located at the Route 7/ State Street interchange in Schenectady, NY has been converted.  I use an HTC EVO, and the 4G icon stays on and shows three wave icons above it.  I pulled up one of my internet bookmarks, which was the National Weather Service Radar, and the loop images loaded within 5 seconds!!!!  On 3G this same site took at least 30 seconds to load!!!  4G is alive and well around the WOODLAWN AREA OF SCHENECTADY, NY  I haven't tried it around other areas, but I'll attempt it now!!!!

• 17. Albany, NY - Any word on when we get 4G?
    TFLEURY3 Newbie

i'm in Cohoes New York and I have the HTC Evo and just had a random idea today to scan for 4G service and what do you know, it's here. I get a very weak signal almost no bubbles over the 4G signal maybe one line but that's it. Hope this lets the rest of you around the area know.

• 18. Albany, NY - Any word on when we get 4G?
    TUGHILLRIDER Newbie

SPRINT 4G SERVICE AVAILABLE IN PARTS OF THE CAPITAL DISTRICT OF NY!!!

The signal is still on, so this is not just a test.  I left my 4G antenna active last night at home, and the signal is the same strength as it was!!  The signal does fade somewhat when you enter a home or other buildings.  I live near the golf course (Schenectady Municipal), and the signal is pretty strong!!

So anyone want to see if 4G is active, try scanning to see if you get a signal.  It looks as if the North Colonie, Schenectady, Niskayuna, NY areas have been upgraded to 4G service!!

If you have an HTC EVO, you can turn it on with a widget, and then go to the 4G settings screen, it will show the service provider, strength, and the IP address that was assigned!!!

THE SPEED OF 4G IS EASILY 10 TIMES FASTER!!

ENJOY!

• 19. Albany, NY - Any word on when we get 4G?
    jgambino1 Newbie

I'm off New Scotland Ave near St. Peters and I am getting excellent signal.  Full bars.

• 20. Albany, NY - Any word on when we get 4G?
    Jayralston Newbie

I'm on the 36th floor of the south side of the Corning Tower in downtown Albany and get full 4G, it looks I'm picking up a signal from a tower by Exit 23 of the NYS Thruway.  I also used 4G on I-90 from like Exit 4 to Crossgates, then north on 87 to about exit 2 or 3 that signal is coming from the tower at Fuller Road Exit of I-90.  I can also verify that 4G is live in the Woodlawn area of Schenectady and that was the tower on State St and the Crosstown.  I'm so happy to finally have 4G around here.

Thanks,

Jay

• 21. Re: Albany, NY - Any word on when we get 4G?
    t-bags Regular Visitor

I live in Rensselaer (East Greenbush) off 9/20 near Yips/Regeneron/SunyAlbanyCity campus and I had to go to my backyard but I am fluctuating between 1 and 0 bars of 4G Service! Its weird I went into my side yard got no service then went to my back yard and got 1 bar. I went back into my house and went from a fluctuation from 1 bar to 0 bars back to 1 bar. Had a not waited for a little bit after it scanned and said disconnecting I wouldve never seen I had 4G. Also I dont live too far from exit 23 so I am sure im using that tower. I dont like using speed test websites because the numbers vary greatly from test to test even without moving the connection but using a couple of different speed tests sites I averaged about 5500kbps down and 600kbps up. Not bad. Happy to have 4G for my slingbox app!

I forgot to mention that fluctuating between 0 and 1 bars is basically pointless. Until we can get a strong 4G signal the only way I will use this is outside or in my back patio and just for when I specificially need it. I cant live with the 4G on with its spottyness. So while I am happy to say I have 4G there is still a ways to go before its going to be usefull and remain on.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...