This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2011 5:33 PM by fireguy_6364 RSS

Reason and fix for Rdio, Rhapsody, Sirius/XM, BitBop, et al failing over 3G after OTA

steveymacjr Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

By now you all with the latest OTA update have experienced issues  with Rdio, Rhapsody, Bitbop, and many other streaming audio/video apps not working while over 3G (or  4G sometimes).

You aren't alone!  It is a problem with the update...

I found the exact cause on the Rdio support site:

EVO  breakage after the 3.70.651.1 update / Android / Discussion Area - Rdio  Support

Here's the text of it:

For any EVO users who got the 3.70.651.1  update pushed in the last 1-2 weeks by Sprint... this update changes the  Android platform to proxy all HTTP traffic on Sprint's CDMA data  network through a broken proxy on Sprint's which breaks Rdio and many  other media streaming apps.
We have been in contact with Google, HTC,  & Sprint regarding the issue but do not expect a fix for it until  past the new year. In the meantime, Rdio will continue to function  properly over wifi networks.
Alternatively, for those of you who have  rooted phones or know the MSL (Master Subsidy Lock) code for your  phone, you can also unset the "http pd proxy host" in your ##data# menu.  Exactly how to do this or obtain the code is an exercise left to the  reader...

Addtional comments not from original article:

Posted by Duffman(from Sprintusers.com/forum) on December 26, 2010 @ 01:15 PM
Apparently  the update changed the settings below to something that does not work.  Whether it is because Sprint wants to redirect this traffic to a proxy  server or someone just goofed on the settings, who knows. But I checked  the settings against a Moment and the Moment has different settings.
Here's the fix:
1) Dial ##3282#
2) Choose Edit Mode
3) Enter MSL
4) Choose Advanced
5) Change HTTP PD Proxy Port to: 0
6) Change HTTP PD Proxy Address to: 0.0.0.0
Successfully  tested on both 3G and 4G with NPR News app (which consistently errored  out within seconds of starting before this change).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can say for a fact this worked for me!
Just so you know, you do not have to be rooted to do this...root just gives you an easy way to get the MSL code...

If you have root, search for MSL Reader in the marketplace.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you do not have root, PM me and I will forward you a link for instuctions on how to get it without calling Sprint.

If you don't mind calling Sprint do this:

Call up Tech Support and tell them you keep getting error 1012 whenever you try to use data or  update the profile. They'll walk you through fixing the "error", and  they have to give you the MSL in the process. Works every single time  without fail!

If they have you type ##3282# and then choose 'Edit' the number they give you is the MSL...

Message was edited by: steveymacjr

• 1. Re: Reason and fix for Rdio, Rhapsody, Sirius/XM, BitBop, et al failing over 3G after OTA
    GeekOfTexas Bronze Expert

That Duffman is a freakin genius! Thanks!

• 2. Re: Reason and fix for Rdio, Rhapsody, Sirius/XM, BitBop, et al failing over 3G after OTA
    swanrunner1 Regular Visitor

Thank you so much, my radio streaming is back up.

• 3. Re: Reason and fix for Rdio, Rhapsody, Sirius/XM, BitBop, et al failing over 3G after OTA
    Ytsejamer1-Comm Regular Visitor

My Yahoo Radio app seemed to be the only thing affected...which was sort of odd considering that the music stations played fine, but my favorite sports stations did not.  I chalked it up to a bad app issue, moreso than Sprint or the update.  After running across the information in the other thread, I tried my sports station over wifi and it worked fine.

I followed the directions indicated above and it worked perfectly over my 3G connection!  I also made sure to jot down the old settings just in case something happens.  It might be a good addition to the directions.

Kudos to the members involved in finding the solution.

• 4. Re: Reason and fix for Rdio, Rhapsody, Sirius/XM, BitBop, et al failing over 3G after OTA
    east-tn Regular Visitor

Just got off the phone with Sprint advanced tech support; successfully applied the new proxy port and address settings.

The fix works for Sirius/XM online. I don't have any of the other applications that I saw listed. Believe NPR radio was listed, so I tried that, and works as well. Loaded Sprint NFL TV and was able to play a video, and the Dish app that slings video from a 922 DVR as well as Slacker still work as well; they weren't impacted by the update or the fix.

Make sure to write down the old settings in case of any problems; my phone and presumably all others were port 8085 and address pd.vog.sprintpcs.com.

Note that tracert, ping and nslookup all fail to resolve the address pd.vog.sprintpcs.com, suggesting either incorrect address or nonfunctional server.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Reason and fix for Rdio, Rhapsody, Sirius/XM, BitBop, et al failing over 3G after OTA
    ScubaGirl11 Newbie

This fix totally worked for me.  I was having major problems streaming Sirius and found the fix on the app message boards.  Had a bit of trouble coaxing the MSL out of Sprint Tech Support, but after I asked to escalate, got it with no problem.  I can now stream my Sirius and haven't (so far) experienced any problems with any other programs.

• 6. Re: Reason and fix for Rdio, Rhapsody, Sirius/XM, BitBop, et al failing over 3G after OTA
    MURPH383838 Newbie

There is no reason for this fix any longer.  All you need to do is call tech support, tell them the issue and advise them they need to reset the multimedia from the OMA tool(no idea what this is).  The tech support agent was a great help researching this issue and no my Sirius app works great!!!

• 7. Re: Reason and fix for Rdio, Rhapsody, Sirius/XM, BitBop, et al failing over 3G after OTA
    TLC_WV Newbie

This worked perfect! Thank you so much!

• 8. Re: Reason and fix for Rdio, Rhapsody, Sirius/XM, BitBop, et al failing over 3G after OTA
    Komiza Newbie

Thought I'd relay my experience calling Sprint today to get this unbelievable Rhapsdody (and other streaming services) thing fixed.  No one I talked to knew anything about the OMA tool (and I had chosen the special voice prompt for mobile broadband tech support).  I was told they don't support issues with Rhapsody.  The first guy I got wasn't bad; but when I told him on several boards they said the proxy fix was no longer needed, that the OMA tool, or a Sprint person sending you a fix would work, he said sorry, he only knew the proxy fix.  I pressed onwards and respectfully asked to speak to a supervisor.  Someone took my house number.  1/2 hour later a guy called back.  Said he knew exactly what I was talking about - proceeded to put me on hold for 45 minutes, every 10 minutes telling me he'd be right back... until the line was hung up from their end.  Waited for him to call back, he'd called me on my home line - nope, he must have gone home.  The next tech support rep had me do some kind of update to the data settings - then asked me to see if Rhapsody played, then abruptly got off the line.  Yes, as usual, it played one track at the end of that call, then went dead, skipping from track to track without playing the second I got off the phone.  At least during that call I'd picked up my MSL number.  The next woman I called back was nice, but again, put me on hold for 1/2 hour, finally said she would consult with her partner.  15 minutes later house line goes dead (old batteries).

I tried to follow the proxy port and server change fix shown on many forums, but many instructions tell you to change the proxy port to 0 - hello, at least my Evo will not ALLOW a zero to be placed there!  I get an error (and when I searched for it, so had many others) that there must be a digit there -- I'm thinking, maybe this is what the update the one woman instituted on my phone did for me!  Some folks even said putting the zero in there could break your phone, and to only worry about changing the HTTP PD proxy server to 0.0.0.0 - and lo and behold that seems to work.  (One note though, I have to put Rhapsody in offline mode, otherwise if you turn off the mobile network to test whether this would work in the middle of nowhere or on a plane, it gives you an error that it has to update your downloaded tracks and you need a data connection!)

How such a major issue could go this long unfixed, and unaddressed by Sprint is very disturbing.  It took me weeks of digging around to even find out why the heck Rhapsody stopped playing ANYTHING the minute I left my Wifi at home, whether they be streaming or downloaded tracks.  Pretty unnerving after being able to listen to free downloaded subscription tracks offline on my trusty original Touch for the past 3 years.... something my new and awesome Evo would not do from day one.

So anyone else looking for the solution, at least on the Evo - call up and beg for your MSL number, then forget having Sprint continue helping you, you may loose a couple hours of your life and get a stiff arm holding your old house phone.  Hang up the phone, pretend you had signal loss or your home phone battery died, and change the HTTP PD proxy server to 0.0.0.0 and you're done.  Leave the HTTP PD proxy port alone.

• 9. Re: Reason and fix for Rdio, Rhapsody, Sirius/XM, BitBop, et al failing over 3G after OTA
    JIMLACOSSE01 Newbie

Being as I am only somewhat comfortable getting into things I don't entirely understand, I was afraid to try this fix. So I called tech support instead. I explained to the tech what was posted here, but was advised that "you can't believe everything on the internet." OK..... So after about 45 minutes on the phone, during which we reprogrammmed my Evo about 3 times, pulled the battery out, in, out, in, etc........ the dude tells me he guesses I'm going to have to take the phone to a corporatre store because something is defective. So now I'm ticked off and figure "What the ****?" I go thru this process (with the MSL he'd given me) and literally 15 seconds later the problem is solved. For the record though I only changed the proxy server settings to 0.0.0.0 and left the PD proxy port as it was. Works like a charm now. God I love the internet. Now if I could get my facebook push notifications to work (like they used to) I'd be all set.

• 10. Re: Reason and fix for Rdio, Rhapsody, Sirius/XM, BitBop, et al failing over 3G after OTA
    RCKSTEIN02 Valued Member

My EVO was experiencing problems with Pandora since Maintenance Release 3.70.651.1 had been applied to it. Sometimes it would play just a few seconds of a song then cut out. I had previously performed a hard reset of the phone and reinstalled Pandora, but those steps did not help.

I wanted to try modifying the Port settings as mentioned in this thread. I had contacted Sprint via online chat and the agent refused to give me the MSL code for my phone, stating that "due to security reasons" that he would not release it to me. I ended up calling Sprint Technical Services and the agent gave me the MSL code without any other hassle.

I probably should have tried calling first, but it just seems that everytime I have to deal with Technical Services, it's a long drawn out affair and they always want to do a bunch of trouble shooting. I already knew the steps that I needed to do, I just needed their code. I'll see if this fixes the Pandora issues.

• 11. Reason and fix for Rdio, Rhapsody, Sirius/XM, BitBop, et al failing over 3G after OTA
    SCJOHNSON95RR Newbie

Thanks for the tip about the PD proxy server. This worked like a charm. I couldn't stream Pandora or Slacker over 4G even though a speed test showed decent speed. The 3G stream was unreliable. It usually wouldn't finish a song.

I went to a store and they were totally unhelpful. They were in denial about the problem and wanted to blame Pandora or the android Apps. When I pointed them to these posts, they basically said the internet was unreliable for information. Amazingly they denied there was a problem even though they admitted that they had 4 customers come in today to complain about streaming. They wanted to hang onto my phone and reset it and I didn't have time to try that option. I don't know why Sprint won't take this seriously as it is going to mess up their reputation.

I got the MSL through a reader on the internet very quickly without rooting and then applied the settings.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

• 12. Re: Reason and fix for Rdio, Rhapsody, Sirius/XM, BitBop, et al failing over 3G after OTA
    grsowa Regular Visitor

Well....Get me the EVO 3D unless it can't stream Netflix and then I will have to rethink my next phone/provider because I am out of patience!

My EVO 4G will also not play the SiriusXM app without cutting in and out. I took it to Sprint and they said they fixed it but didn’t. I have been on the phone with Sprint and nobody can fix this problem.

WHY CAN’T THEY JUST AT LEAST FIX THE PROBLEM WITH THE SIRIUS APP!!!

I called Sprint back with the information found on this post, http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/60462, and my EVO is now working GREAT!!!!!!

I apologize for the rant and thanks to everyone that contributed to the resolution of this issue. I am back to being a SPRINT fan!

• 13. Re: Reason and fix for Rdio, Rhapsody, Sirius/XM, BitBop, et al failing over 3G after OTA
    grsowa Regular Visitor

THIS FIX DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!

THE FIX DOES WORK!!!!!!!

• 14. Reason and fix for Rdio, Rhapsody, Sirius/XM, BitBop, et al failing over 3G after OTA
    fireguy_6364 Master

call sprint. there is a semi fix that they will push to your phone. after that the problem is solved unless you reset your phone.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...