This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 11:51 AM by steveb999 RSS

Poor Reception

Kamani1147 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

We live in the Renton, WA area and are experiencing terrible reception from the Sprint 3g & 4G services. Many times our phones (HTC Evo) drop calls, but the real big problem is data. We're lucky if we get 2-3 bars on 3G and rarely ever get 4G service.

We live on the bottom floor of a three story apartment complex. When we go outside (or in our car), the reception is great (5-6 bars 3G & 2-4 bars 4G). We currently have a data plan, but what good is the plan if you can't get the data? A call to the Sprint service desk was very frustrating...at best.

First customer rep. asked me so many questions about the phone and where I was located. She then passed me on to yet another tech. rep. who asked me the same questions all over again. Then she stated that they had received a service call prior to my call and that there apparently was some kind of service disruption in our area. We should wait 4-6 hours and try our data reception on our phones again. Then was asked if we have a DSL router to which I replied we didn't. That's why we purchased the phones with a data plan ($10.00 per phone extra, per month).

When examining the literature (brochures) showing the coverage maps, we live in an area that should offer excellent reception. I am guessing that it is merely due to living on the ground floor that we have reception problems.

And to think we gave up our Verizon service for Sprint. We had far better reception (phone/data) with Verizon, although at a much higher cost. I've read other posts about some Airave device, but I understand that there are additional costs (monthly/plans). We're both retired and on a fixed income so we can ill-afford to pay more for something we thought we were getting when we purchased the phones and changed carriers.

Help!

• 1. Poor Reception
    SprintCares Sprint Employee

sdb1147,

Thanks for the post. It sounds to me like the issue is isolated to your home. We offer an excellent device called the "Airave". The device is available online via http://www.sprint.com, if ordered online all shipping and activation is free! The cost of the unit is 129.99 and acts as a mini celltower for inside your home. Keep in mind the devices requires high speed internet in order to function. For further details on this product visit http://www.sprint.com/airave.

Thanks for being a valued Sprint customer,

-William

• 2. Re: Poor Reception

Well, here we are 24-hours after contacting a Sprint technical representative (supervisor) who instructed us to re-set the PRL & Profile on each of our new HTC Evo phones, our reception still is sadly lacking. She was certain after doing so our reception would improve. 3G reception=maybe 1-2 bars as before. 4G=0-1 bar at times.

We spent nearly an hour on the phone going from one representative to another, finally ending up with a supervisor. We were asked what kind of DSL service we have and what kind of modem we're using. We once again explained to the representative that we have no other contact with the outside world except through our cell phones; no TV, no modem, no DSL service, etc., etc.

We switched service from Verizon to Sprint on the belief that we would have better service. We actually had better reception with our Verizon phones and were limited to computer usage via an airporter type plug-in device. Of course that device was an additional cost per month ($59.99) and we were limited to 5GB per month. One of the biggest selling points of the HTC Evos was the fact that we pay an additional $10.00 fee, per phone, per month for unlimited usage of the internet and phone usage was nearly unlimited (1500 minutes per month).

We inquired about an Airwave device we'd been told about, but one must have DSL service & a modem, neither of which we have. We are both retired and on a fixed income and rely on our cell phones for all our communication needs.

So, we are now stuck with two new phones, and a 2-yeat contract, that don't perform as advertised or as told to us by the salesperson.

• 3. Poor Reception
    SprintCares Sprint Employee

sdb1147 wrote:

Well, here we are 24-hours after contacting a Sprint technical representative (supervisor) who instructed us to re-set the PRL & Profile on each of our new HTC Evo phones, our reception still is sadly lacking. She was certain after doing so our reception would improve. 3G reception=maybe 1-2 bars as before. 4G=0-1 bar at times.

We spend nearly an hour on the phone going from one representative to another, finally ending up with a supervisor. We were asked what kind of DSL service we have and what kind of modem we're using. We once again explained to the representative that we have no other contact with the outside world except through our cell phones; no TV, no modem, no DSL service, etc., etc.

We switched service from Verizon to Sprint on the belief that we would have better service. We actually had better reception with our Verizon phones and were limited to computer usage via an airporter type plug-in device. Of course that device was an additional cost per month ($59.99) and we were limited to 5GB per month. One of the biggest selling points of the HTC Evos was the fact that we pay an additional $10.00 fee, per phone, per month and we could get 4G service which is faster than 3G.

We inquired about an Airwave device we'd been told about, but one must have DSL service & a modem, neither of which we have. We are both retired and on a fixed income and rely on our cell phones for all our communication needs.

So, we are now stuck with two new phones that don't perform as advertised or as described by the salesperson for a 2-year contract. There's a penalty for switching back to Verizon, just like the one we had to pay Verizon for switching to Sprint.

Sorry to hear that the Airave would not be a solution for you. Has this issue been apparent since you became a Sprint customer? We do have a 30 day return/exchange policy and unfortunately we cannot guarantee coverage everywhere.

Thank you for being a Sprint customer,

--William

• 4. Re: Poor Reception

We finally got internet service from Comcast and would like to learn more about the (free) offer to install an AirWave unit in our apartment for better reception. How does the AirWave effect our bill?

• 5. Re: Poor Reception
    steveb999 Regular Visitor

Be prepared for a possible nightmare trying to get the Airwave working if you do get one. It's been over 2.5 weeks and they haven't been able to get any of the 3 different Airwaves they have sent me to work. Their tech support seems to be completely clueless too. Plus I have been on the phone for literally hours, half of that time on hold of course.

• 6. Re: Poor Reception

We got our Airwave unit installed about a month ago & it has helped us immensely. Our cell phone have excellent reception, and no dropped calls. When we're in our apt. we get three beeps on our phones when we make calls, but that's easy to get used to. Our computers & laptops operate fast, as do our cell phones when checking the internet. SPRINT has provided us excellent customer service. Thanks.

• 7. Poor Reception
    jellybean91 Expert

sdb1147 So glad the Airwave helped , just let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

• 8. Poor Reception
    jellybean91 Expert

When you say that the Airwave will not work , are you getting blinking Lights? We may need to check have you check the connection and signal you are getting with the internet have we had you test this yet?

• 9. Poor Reception

If you are replying to me, yes. Broadband and GPS lights are steady green. The Mobile light blinks green for 30-60 minutes then blinks amber for 30-60 minutes. The internet and all connections have been tested and verified. That's why I say the techs I have talked to are cluless. Every tech has me do the same **** tests so they have been done at least 8 times. Pass every time with no errors. The Airwave is apparantly not communicating with your servers but noone can figure out why. Yes, the AIrwave is connected directly to the cable modem.

• 10. Poor Reception
    animalec Regular Visitor

Louisville, KY - TERRIBLE service for FOUR months, no consistent answers as to why and NO solutions!  I have paid over $400 for LOUSY service and I should be credited for that money!!

This is outraqeous and I am cancellinq my service as well.  I wanted to cancel before because the fee is so hiqh but, I couldn't qet out of my "contract".  THEN, they started stickinq me with sudden overaqes for calls I never made - slipped them in every other month or so - thank heavens I checked the bills!  NEXT, local rep blamed tower outaqes and said it would be fixed in a week...yeah, riqht!   TODAY, I can't even receive consistent answers from anyone as to the problem or they say it's my handset.  Are you SERIOUS, Sprint?!!?  Expect my chanqe in provider IMMEDIATELY.  What a racket!

I now have an actual ticket # - let's see if they truly call me back or do ANYTHINQ.  Anyone with Sprint want to try to keep my business??  Ticket# 1234595690077536209.  I have had poor service, dropped calls constantly and network busy for at least FOUR months.  I PAY $100 per month for service - I deserve more than the measly $15 you offered this morninq.  Sheesh!

• 11. Poor Reception

They were finally able to solve my issues. Turns out that they had the information on THEIR end configured incorrectly. Duh. It was what I had been saying all along. They had the wrong MAC address entered in the configuration so my Airwave couldn't connect. I had to get to tier 3 tech support before someone was able to determine this. TIER THREE!!! **rolls eyes** So the teir 1 and 2 people couldn't take the time or didn't have the training to check the configuration to make sure it was correct? Really? Why even HAVE tier 1 and 2? It took 3 months to solve the problem that was meerly the wrong number entered in a field. Sprints people really try to be helpful but they are evidently VERY poorly trained.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...