Ok, I am new to rooting and using customs mods, so I am doing as much research as possible before I make a decision that could void my warranty and/or damage my phone. I have an HTC Hero (Sprint) running Android 2.1and I want to move up to 2.2 (Froyo), mainly to increase space by saving apps to the SD card and speeding up the phone. I know that if I root the phone and replace it with a 2.2 mod, that I will lose the Sense UI, but I have a few questions. Anyone that can answer them would be greatly appreciated.
1. If I install the 2.2 mod, will I still have the ability to link contacts to thei facebook accounts and use their facebook picture as the contact picture or is this a strictly sense ui feature?
2. Will I have access to the stock notification sounds? I use a couple for my text and e-mail notification sounds?
3. Do the 2.2 mods support Flash like 2.2 does normally?
4. Can I keep Sprint football live if I mod my phone, or will it be erased with all of the bloat installed by sprint?
5. What is the best most up to date 2.2 mod to use for the Hero?
I hope someone can help me with these so I can make my decision soon.
Hero 2.1 user here...
So, I was able to dowload the files, get Sync to work on Windows 7, use the cmd prompt to push all the unzipped files (which were extracted to the recommended locations) to the sdcard, and run unrevoked.
However, once I ran it, the superuser app inexplicably will not appear in the app tray. I can't figure it out no matter what I try. Is this because I'm rooting while already running 2.1?
Any advice is very welcome.
This is the link for the 2.3 update and google apps. Ive been running the 2.3 update for the hero for about a week and everything is working fine except for the visual voicemail from sprint.
On rooting a Sprint device , some of the software seems to work okay with the device. However, When Sprint sends out updates to correct problems or to add features these may not work on a rooted device. Some rooted devices have problems either because the process to root the device was not followed correctly or the software loaded has a problem Sprint does not support rooted devices and the user must get the device back to approved firmware before warranty will be honored . When rooting a phone you are on your own
Hello, my wife has a Hero, and the phone has a ton of lag and facebook sync issues. It is NOT yet rooted. We have done several factory resets to try and fix issues with no success.
If I were to root this phone, will this actually help with lag and the whole facebook sync problems this phone has?
Should I bother?
Sprint is proud to have been named to The Civic 50, an annual survey of America?s most community-minded companies.