This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2012 7:56 PM by cheryl3344 RSS

BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE

JanL56 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I have been a customer for 10yrs and I have been on the " $99 simply everything plan" since its inception.  I have been very please with service and pricing until recently.  I upgraded my phone to a newer smartphone and was told I now have to pay an add'l $10 for "premium" data.  THAT GOES AGAINST the "Everything plan"  if you are going to add "special" fees on the side.  It is a backdoor way to raise rates ...VERY DISHONEST!!!   I believe that Premier customers who have been loyal should have fee waived.  If the fee is not waived, then I will be reconsidering my Cell provider and look into moving to another plan.

• 1. BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    JesseNaz Regular Visitor

Im totally with you, i've been a Sprint customer for the past 6 years and am fed up with the recent service and support they are providing not to mention the way they go ahead and change policies whenever they want (to their benifit of course). I made up my mind a few weeks back, im done with Sprint, just waiting for contract to end in 6 months.

• 2. BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    REKRDSKRATCHER Newbie

You are aware that if you upgrade to a 4G-capable phone, you're going to be paying that extra $10/month, right?  I can understand the frustration if you (like me) live in an area where 4G service is not currently available and you're paying the Premium Data charge, but if you've got an Epic and you're able to benefit from 4G, then you have nothing to complain about - no one forced you to upgrade to that particular phone.  Go back to a featurephone/dumbphone or older smartphone if you want to avoid those charges.  Seems pretty simple to me.

• 3. BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    RWHITE5404 Regular Visitor

I live in a area saturated with WiMax so I have no complaints, yet I am paying less on the 69.99 everything plan... it has 450 minutes for landlines but everything else is still unlimited. So with that and tethering and the premium data plan for 4G I am sitting at 117 a month with insurance... I don't know how much you call landlines but I am super happy with Sprint as I can consume all the 4G I want without throttling or overages. As a matter of fact the latency has gotten so low(30-60mS) that I dropped my ISP at home and just tether everything, getting 10Mbps average everywhere with peaks downtown of 2MB/s... I track my data usage with a third party app and just last month used 137.41GB. Please tell me of another carrier that will let me do that!

• 4. BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    SprintCares Sprint Employee

Hi JANLUMENTI56,

I do apologize that you are not happy with the charge. The $10 Premium Data Add-on charge is necessary on smartphones (Sprint smartphones currently are: Android, BlackBerry, Palm, Instinct and Windows Mobile phones) because these devices on average use 10x more data than an average feature phone. Even with this charge, Sprint customers still enjoy the best value in wireless. Rather than imposing limits and overage charges on data plans for wireless phones as competitors have done, Sprint has extended its $10 Premium Data add-on charge to all Smartphone activations. This is not a charge for 4G service. If you would like an unlimited data plan, for a lower rate, and avoid this charge, you may want to check out some of our feature phones (non data devices such as PDAS/SMARTPHONES) which do not require the $10 Premium Data add-on charge.

Thank you for your business.

----George

• 5. BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    SprintCares Sprint Employee

HI DOMINO0702,

I'm sorry you are having so many issues. I am sending you a pm, please check your inbox.

Thank you,

----George

• 6. BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    nudecat Newbie

sprint charges the $10 a month charge on ALL SMARTPHONES. it is just not the 4g phones. i have been told that this is so that they dont have to limit peoples use of the data services.

• 7. BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    Expert

It is only $10.  I can't believe people would get so angry about this.  I have compared and found that Sprint is still lower than all competitors out there.  As that Sprint Rep said above, all smartphones are going to be using more data.  Trust me, technology are are evolving and rising, so Sprint has to do the same or they will go bankrupt.  No need to complain.  I am sure you can cancel one McD meal a month. :-/

Go ahead reconsider and move to another carrier. Go ahead pay more.  Go right on ahead.  But I promise you this, you will be back, because Sprint offers the lowest price.  What will that end you with?  Loss of complete record with Sprint.  Who knows, what if you hit a certain anniversary where Sprint mail you a $100 check (like Cox did to mom).  Just relax, breathe, compare the prices/plans, and rethink what you just said to us all on here.

• 8. BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    thesymposium Regular Visitor

I can understand the anger and frustration; unlimited is supposed to mean unlimited but it's becoming more and more apparent these days that "unlimited" isn't really unlimited.

Good luck finding another carrier, though. Sprint really does offer the best value out of any of the major carriers, although personally, I think they can do better--especially if they really wish to drive a knife into AT&T/T-Mobile and Verizon. AT&T/Verizon currently charge anywhere from $15-$30/month for the data plan ($15 if you only use a few hundred megabytes of usage, more for the "unlimited" versions which restrict you to something like 5GB of data transfer per month).

I think Sprint can and should offer a cheaper data plan for those users (like me) who mostly use their phones on WiFi networks at home or at work or wherever. "It's only $10" doesn't fly in today's economy where people are just barely scraping by -- if they're even able to do that!

• 9. BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    TheGriffology Regular Visitor

I too was upset when I found out about the $10 Premium Data Add-on per line charge on new smartphones.  However, when pricing the competition, Sprint was still cheaper and I will most likely continue my service with them.  On my family plan (4 lines), I'd have to pay at least $215 per month at ATT compared to the $180 we'd have to pay for 4 phones that require the $10 Data Add-on from Sprint.  Sprint offers unlimited internet and the ATT package is only 2GB, which I'm currently flirting around on my palm pre.  I'm sure when I upgrade my phone I'd be using at least 2 GB per month in streaming music and what not.

My suggestion, price the competition and I'm sure you'll find the same as I did, Sprint is still the best value.  Also, Virgin Mobile and Boost wireless appear to have good prices (non-contract), but I've never used the service.  A friend told me they actually use the Sprint network so if you're happy with the Sprint service you currently get, it may be an option as well.

• 10. BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    csv01 Valued Member

Sprint is definately still the better buy and a lot of the other wireless companies are also charging the $10 extra fees for data services and you don't get unlimited data!

• 11. BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    thesymposium Regular Visitor

Boost actually uses the VERY outdated Nextel network; there's no 4G option and I'm not even sure you'll get 3G on it, probably more like 2G.

Virgin Mobile uses the Sprint network.

With both of these pre-paid carriers, though, the phone options are VERY limited ... There's ONE Blackberry and ONE Android-based phone on Boost; I'm not even sure Virgin has smartphones.

• 12. Re: BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    CommentName Newbie

I wanted to point out that it is not always people who "want" to upgrade. I have a Samsung Moment which I love except for the fact that the charging port becomes loose after 3-6 months of use and no longer charges. Now after 15 months locked into a plan I have a choice of upgrading to an Epic for $150 and $18 activation fee. I am willing to do that but I was also told that the plan would require me to pay $10 more a month or $240 more for the next 2 years.

That is $408 over 2 years for the upgrade and I do not benefit from 4g in my area. The Epic is a great phone and I would love to have it for $168 but the Moment is fine for my needs.

In any case, I have insurance because of problems with the Moment so I spent $100 and am receiving a refurbished Moment with a 12 month guaranty. I wonder what Sprint will do at the end of my contract with them? If they raise the rates, I may check out Virgin Mobile. They seem to have two Android phones. Too bad though as I am a long time customer of Sprint.

• 13. Re: BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    LADYDEENY Regular Visitor

I'm about to call Sprint myself.  I too am a Sprint Premier Gold customer north of 10 years.  I received my upgrade phone Motorola Photon 4G two days ago. I tried to activate it online last night, only to see a message stating that I need to change my plan.  FOR WHAT?  I've been on the Everything Data 1500 shared plan for years, and there was no discussion of a plan change with any of the numerous CSRs I have spoken to on the phone.  I was assured that my current plan is appropriate for this phone.  I fully expect to activate this phone on my long-established account with NO impact on my plan whatsoever.  There are NO grounds for that. I, like several other customers on this forum, have a SERIOUS problem with the way in which Sprint is imposing this "$10 Premium Data Fee" when I've been paying for UNLIMITED data all along.  In fact, I am paying for very minimal usage of this feature. I believe that this shady practice comes under the banner of  DECEPTIVE business practices and I would be well within my rights at this point to TERMIMATE my contract on BOTH my lines WITHOUT worrying about an "early termination fee" which Sprint would have NO right to collect under these circumstances.  Furthermore, I decided to check out the plan offerings on this website, just to see what's really going on here; only to discover that my current plan doesn't even exist anymore.  When did THAT happen - when I decided to upgrade my phone? I have received NO communication WHATSOEVER about changes to, or total obliteration, of my plan as it exists at this moment prior to ordering this Photon 4G ONLINE this past Sunday via the email I received from Sprint. I think I'm going to send this Photon 4G back and cancel my service altogether.  You people are UNBELIEVABLE.

• 14. Re: BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    LADYDEENY Regular Visitor

The point is not an extra $10 ... the point is that if a customer has been on a plan that includes UNLIMITED data, there is NO justification WHATSOVER for charging additional money because of an upgrade to a so-called "smartphone".  It's unethical and deceptive.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...