This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 5 55 Previous Next 810 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2011 12:52 AM by VoodooDroid73 Go to original post Branched to a new discussion. RSS
  • 30. 6/3 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.22.651.2)
    ABELOTTO1 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

Thanks. I was looking forward to the update, but after I made the mistake in Decemeber of updating (thinking it was this 2.3 update) and getting NOVA, Blockbuster, etc. pushed onto my phone (without delete option) I vowed to myself never to swallow another OTA update without checking extensive reviews/boards.  After reading the early adopters here I am going to hold off.  Why do they keep doing this? Both Sprint and HTC.... I thought HTC said recently they were releasing open updates that would allow for options to remove preloaded programs, etc, and I thought Sprint would have learned from what happened in December - especially with the formation of the possible class action.

It is really disappointing that Sprint and HTC (two companies that I have loved in the past) are really falling short when it comes to making the EVO what it could be. I think that is why iPhone has a large following, they don't "forget" about the older versions of the phone, and still update them to keep them current.  The way they make you want a new phone is making it more powerful, better battery life, better camera, etc. - things that aren't involved in a software update. By forcing people to buy a new phone because they are being left behind in the Android graveyards of generations past is not good customer service and doesn't make Android the great OS it could be.

Tear Tear - gonna hold on to my 2.2 now that i have finally learned how to get decent battery life out of it.

• 31. 6/3 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.22.651.2)
    DELIATATA2 Newbie

I'm a bit disppointed with this update. Many of the responses above I agree with..............Sense 2.2....no,of course!

Sad

• 32. 6/3 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.22.651.2)
    WMCASE01 Regular Visitor

Sooooo where's my blinking LED?  It worked before the update and now it's not working when I get a message....Awesome.

• 33. Re: 6/3 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.22.651.2)
    fireguy_6364 Master

are you running the stock text set up or something like handcent?

canceled download until i see more info on what all is good and bad with this. so far its a 50/50 it seems

and to think it FINALLY made it to 73%...dang

Message was edited by: fireguy_63

• 34. Re: 6/3 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.22.651.2)
    cityw5 Expert

I am very happy with more internal storage space now!

And I should add that the phone is so far working great!

• 35. Re: 6/3 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.22.651.2)
    WMCASE01 Regular Visitor

Handcent.  I enabled notifications in stock messages app and the LED flashed so I guess we need a Handcent update now.

• 36. 6/3 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.22.651.2)
    Kojak2k11 Valued Member

Im suprised with all the complaining and whining going on.  Let's go over the list:

1.  Peeps complaining about not getting 2.3.4.  Google stated officially that only the Nexus phones would get it first then others would get it later. 

2.  No new version of HTC Sense.  It would be nice but we never were promised that by HTC.  I personally want OS upgrades myself but if they updated Sense I wouldnt complain.

3.  No new version of Swype.  That's not part of the OS update and was never promised to us.

4.  Peeps having issues after the update.  As with most updates, you may need to backup your SD card and format it and maybe even perform a factory reset.

Sadly people always complain even when they receive something free.  Why do they complain?  I guess they have all these expectation that they set themselves and then they are disappointed when the expectations are not met. 

• 37. 6/3 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.22.651.2)
    MikePfromMKE Regular Visitor

Well, I still can't download it and from the comments above it sounds like it's not really worth it. 

I mean, why even bother if it isn't the full, most recent Gingerbread.  And you'd think they would have updated to HTC Sense 2.0 at least.

• 38. 6/3 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.22.651.2)
    bsaddler1 Newbie

i am having problem with the update. it keeps saying that i have avoicemail when i dont!!!!!!

• 39. 6/3 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.22.651.2)
    XINXOTHERXWORDS11 Newbie

I am having issues with the update. everytime I download it and try it install it I get a little Android guy with an exclamation mark in a triangle. Can anyone help?

• 40. 6/3 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.22.651.2)
    shlee Newbie

mine still says no update available

• 41. 6/3 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.22.651.2)
    ReForMatt Regular Visitor

I would have to disagree with a good portion of your post curryi. A majority of us android users drank the koolaid that Google is the way to go because of the software updates. And the ability of the phone to ever evolve. What we are seeing is so is sprint dumping bloatware on us. And or halfway updating the phones to ensure we purchase the next's best thing. Now I will agree that is in there best interest for lining there own pockets....but sure will upset some customers as well.

• 42. 6/3 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.22.651.2)
    MAXROBES Newbie

I agrree with curryi's sentiments. Let's remember a couple of things...

1. No phone with a skin will get an update before a Nexus device. Nexus S was first and then Nexus One. And even the N1 took awhile to get it.

2. An update of Sense definitely wasn't promised however, has HTC EVER done it? No, they haven't so why expect it.

3. All the "green" skin trimmings are hallmarks for Vanilla Gingerbread and the EVO 4G isn't that type of device.

Among other things, your phone didn't need a complete wipe so that was a good thing. I can't comment on the VM issue becuase I use googl voice. I do see an improvement with transitions and even how the clock and widget work. Much smoother. This will definitely tide me over until either the EVO 3D comes home with me or The Samsung Within (Galaxy S II).

• 43. Re: 6/3 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.22.651.2)
    VESPA731 Expert

I often wonder why people complain about people complaining. It's an open forum. People can complain and gripe about whatever they want to complain and gripe about. Who cares if people would like to complain?  So what? If it annoys you, then don't read it. 'curryi's' views (a criticism, not bad for only his/her 3rd post in this forum) are like everybody else's, you can read it, agree with it, disagree with it, or move onto the next comment. Besides, this overall reaction to 2.3 is THE SAME EXACT REACTION that HTC Hero owners had when they jumped from 1.5 to the highly anticipated 2.1 update.  High expecations of an upgrade thinking it was going to be a 'cure-all' to all bugs and weird letdowns of the EVO.

As for the LED light, my stock Mail and Voicemail LED notification still is not working. This may be minor, but I usually keep my phone silent during meetings at work. That way, if I glance down at my phone and see the LED light, I know I have a new email or missed call. The stock text message app shows an LED light notification, but keep in mind that most of the apps in the market are probably not all compatible with 2.3 yet.

• 44. 6/3 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.22.651.2)
    Th3Phoenix Silver Expert

I will pass for this update!

1 2 3 4 5 55 Previous Next