This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 44 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2012 8:35 PM by tpm2 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Why is Sprint refusing to put 4G in Phoenix?
    OBEY360 Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

Thanks StarFury for bringing informed info to this thread.  The Clearwire hold up was the main reason for the holdup.  Not to mention the commencement of Sprint's Network Vsion initiative.  Trust me Sprint will get on it.  I have seen parts of the country light up based on testimony from users nationwide on various forums/  Do what works for you but I say be patient.  I think we will see great things from Sprint the next few months.

• 16. Why is Sprint refusing to put 4G in Phoenix?
    droid12345 Regular Visitor

I hope so if it doesn't  come on June I am going to be ****** and leave

• 17. Why is Sprint refusing to put 4G in Phoenix?

that's great you know there's not even 1,000,000,000 people in the united states unless you're talking about  the world 0.0

• 19. Why is Sprint refusing to put 4G in Phoenix?
    AJC1973 Regular Visitor

1 billion dollars not a billion people.... wow...

• 20. Why is Sprint refusing to put 4G in Phoenix?

right! that video give me a reason to stay

• 21. Why is Sprint refusing to put 4G in Phoenix?
    AJC1973 Regular Visitor

For those of you still watching... another location in phoenix area has been added to the 4 g goodness list by clearwire there does defininately look like there is some positive movement by clearwire...

a couple days ago Chandler was added to the list, as well as interestingly enough Casa Grande..  on my way into work on 44th street down by the airport, saw a clearwire labeled truck so maybe the airport or Tempe next?  I hope so since i live in tempe and work at the airport i know there is a clear wire  attenna down across the lightrail station there at 44th street on that hotel....

That makes it 4 locations in the metro area and casa grande.  North Phx bell and 7th ave area..  Mesa right down town... north scottsdale near the airport up there... and now chandler... would be great to see sensorly data on the chandler area to see approx areas of confirmed service...

• 22. Why is Sprint refusing to put 4G in Phoenix?

it's true if you guys have an android phone lookup clearwire app and zoom out all most the whole state  has  4g um lake havasu, flagstaff, chandler, casagrande,masa, scottsdale flagstaff it's not long before phoenix arizona gets the 4g too so happy :D

• 23. Why is Sprint refusing to put 4G in Phoenix?
    SQUIBEL4U Newbie

You dont want sprint, read the problems people are having with it.

• 24. Why is Sprint refusing to put 4G in Phoenix?
    DannyIvan Regular Visitor

I was thinking about setting a deadline where Sprint customers in Phoenix post their name in a discussion board demanding when 4G will be offically available in ALL of Phoenix (not this 4 spot ****).  If they do not answer by, lets say Oct 1st 2011, then a mass amount of subcribers will cancel (regardless of the stupid early termination fee). 

• 25. Why is Sprint refusing to put 4G in Phoenix?
    nmherron Expert

I have a theory on the Sprint 4G delay in Phoenix.  Yes, it is rumor and speculation at it's finest.  But since Sprint refuses to provide information out there regarding Phoenix, we are left with nothing but conjecture.

As most wireless geeks know, Sprint and Clearwire used the Phoenix Metro area to run their LTE trials.  Since tower space is at a premium, if would guess they could not put up both WiMax and LTE antennas.  They could only do one, or the other.  If you had a Sprint LTE device, my guess is it would probably work all over Phoenix.  However, there is no such thing as a Sprint LTE device out on the market.  Sprint/Clear have been running their LTE tests since the beginning of the year.  There are misc. stories and posts about these trials in Phoenix all over the net.  I believe they are already complete, or wrapping up.

So this begs the question...what now?  Will they remove the LTE antennas off the towers and install WiMax antennas in their place?  Probably.  This would be my guess.  Or, do they do something really stupid and roll out Phoenix as the first 4G LTE market on Sprint since everything is in place already?  This would be crazy, because there are thousands and thousands of Sprint customers in the PHX metro area with WiMax devices that they couldn't really use.  So I would guess the first solution is most likely.

Either way, dissing such a large market like Phoenix has not been a wise move for Sprint/Clear.  Why couldn't they have picked a secondary or tertiary market to conduct these trials?  Either way, I believe the end is nigh and PHX will start getting some 4G love in the near future.  But probably one tower at a time.  Kepp looking for those Clearwire trucks!

• 26. Why is Sprint refusing to put 4G in Phoenix?

Yes nmherron I read that in the Android forms that phx will be the first LTE market. But i all so read that sprint wimax and LTE will be together in sprint. So I believe that customers have the choice to pick wimax or lte.I also have a theory that phoenix might be next to get wimax or lte whichever one because clearwire just announced at philadelphia and pittsburgh just got wimax. so philadelphia is the fifth largest city in the united states so I believe  phoenix is next because phoenix is the 6 largest city .so I believe that phoenix I get it soon

• 27. Why is Sprint refusing to put 4G in Phoenix?
    nmherron Expert

droid12345 wrote:

Yes nmherron I read that in the Android forms that phx will be the first LTE market. But i all so read that sprint wimax and LTE will be together in sprint. So I believe that customers have the choice to pick wimax or lte.I also have a theory that phoenix might be next to get wimax or lte whichever one because clearwire just announced at philadelphia and pittsburgh just got wimax. so philadelphia is the fifth largest city in the united states so I believe  phoenix is next because phoenix is the 6 largest city .so I believe that phoenix I get it soon

In their Network Vision plan, they are setting it up that they can support LTE and WiMax simulatenously from the same site.  They are going to set up their "refrgierators" and backhaul for 1xRTT, EVDO, LTE and WiMax so they all can be deployed together.  This is true.  However, Sprint owns less than half of the towers that they currently use.  Most are owned by independent tower companies who lease out to many parties.  Sprint also leases some of their towers from competing carriers.  Sprint also leases out spare space on it's towers as well.  Additionally, I haven't ready anywhere that Phoenix will be the first LTE market open for Sprint, just that Sprint and Clearwire ran LTE trials in Phoenix to try out the technology in real world conditions to fully evaluate it.  This was done to determine whether they would even proceed with LTE at all.

This makes tower space availability a very complex issue, and the space available to put antennas is highly variable not only from city to city, but tower to tower.  Most urban towers are very well built out covered with lots of antennas.  In many of the towers that Sprint currently uses for service, there is no space available, or there may be only one "rung" available.  And most of these rungs are the lowest spot on a tower (least desirable in most deployments).  In most cases, Sprint would need two "rungs" available to deploy both LTE and WiMax on the same tower in dense urban environments.  In more rural applications, they could mix LTE and WiMax on the same rung (theorhetically).  That's if LTE and WiMax don't interfere with each other being that close together.

So after that long narrative, we're back to my wild educated guess about Phoenix deployment.  Even though they could provide the backhaul and equipment for both LTE and WiMax in Phoenix at each tower location, they probably did not have space on most of the towers in Phoenix to put up antennas for both at the same time.  I'm sure they could figure it out in the long term to get total deployment of both technologies over the entire Phoenix metro area, but there is considerable expense trying to lease additional tower space, serve notice of cancellation to other users who use your towers, build additional towers, etc.  And they are going to need to do that in the long term.  But if you are just wanting to run a 6 month trial, you probably wouldn't go through all that.  You would probably just put up the LTE on every tower that you have space available and get it done as soon as possible.

However, with all that said, I think doing it in Phoenix was not a good idea from a customer service stand point.  Phoenix is a mega-market, one of the largest in the country.  And as a result of their inability to roll out a 4G technology after 18 months, they have angered and alienated a lot of folks.  I think they should have chose one of the secondary markets they haven't deployed to yet, like Reno, Lexington or Dayton.  Then they could have focused on a full WiMax Phoenix deployment.  But what do I know?  Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but I would hope there is a reasonable explanation like this.  Otherwise, it just makes it look like there are a bunch of lost sheep making very poor decisions over at Sprint.

• 28. Why is Sprint refusing to put 4G in Phoenix?
    nmherron Expert

I would also guess that they would roll LTE out to be seamless for Sprint customers.  Most likely they would do Dual 4G Chipsets in their devices, where it can run WiMax and LTE.  To the user, it would be seamless, they wouldn't know the difference. 

There is this big misconception that LTE is faster or better than WiMax.  It depends on how it's deployed.  WiMax at 2.5Ghz (in 5x5 channels) and LTE at 2.5Ghz (in 5x5 channels) would perform very equivalently.  If Sprint broadcasted WiMax at 800mhz in 20x20 channels, it would make Verizon's LTE look like a joke.  However, WiMax has not created standards for broadcasting on lower frequencies.

I often fantasize of Sprint utilizing the Nextel 800mhz band for 4G service along with 2.5Ghz.  800 mhz would allow for better penetration into buildings and sending the signals many miles out from towers.  2.5 Ghz would allow for dense urban use allowing many more users on board.  OK...I'm a dork and think too much.

• 29. Why is Sprint refusing to put 4G in Phoenix?
    puce42 Regular Visitor

I honestly don't care whether the WiMax rollout here is in conjunction with an LTE rollout or not.

What I know is that I have been paying an extra $10 per month for a year for the privilege of...nothing.  Okay, technically, it take off the data cap on 3G, but that's not enough for $10/month.

I too was promised that 4G was only a month or two away when I bought my EVO at rollout last year.  There have supposedly been unofficial testing towers in place for a while, which I can't seem to get 4G service from, and it's been nearly a year since the first of those towers was rumored.

GET WITH IT, SPRINT.  Announce it and roll it out.  The 5th largest city and 14th largest metro area in the country should NOT have to take a backseat to so many much smaller locales that already have 4G.

Your customers are losing patience, and that's not a good thing when you may soon be dwarfed by two much larger companies if the T-Mobile sale goes through.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...