9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2011 12:31 AM by sun56fire RSS

Solar Charger Appears to Actually Drain Power.  Advice?

LMSCULLY Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Before purchasing the Samsung Replenish, I understood the battery life was less than stellar.  That is the reason I purchased the additional solar charger back for $30.  I've had this phone for over two weeks now and have done multiple experiments and all of them lead me to the conclusion that the solar charger is actually pulling charge from my phone instead of charging it.  I have yet to receive any charge from it.  Does anyone have an idea of what I am doing wrong?  I hate to send the charger back to Sprint because I love the concept, but I have wasted a lot of time trying to get things to work.

Below is an example of an experiment I have reproduced 5 times so far.

• Charge was at 80%, I killed all running apps, turned off Background Data, and killed all of the running services but the necessary ones.  I verified I saw the sun icon on the phone to show the charger was active.  I sat the phone by a window with no UV filter.  Came back an hour later and the charge was down to 75%.  The phone was extremely hot to the touch, especially the back.
    • So at 75%, I flipped the phone over, verified that everything was still killed and laid it on a desk.  An hour later, the charge was at 74% without the solar charger 'working'.

Thanks.

• 1. Solar Charger Appears to Actually Drain Power.  Advice?
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Hello LMSCULLY1928, sorry to hear that you're having trouble, it sounds like you have taken the time to look into this pretty good, unfortunately I do not have documentation that indicates expected charging time or amperage output. however some suggestions i would like to offer are make sure non used radios are off, wifi, bluetooth, gps. Instead of turning off background data try using an app like juice defender. If you use multiple sync accounts reconsider your sync settings (including facebook, email accounts, Etc). and you may also want to remove the task killer if you have installed one from the market as android will manage tasks in background as needed. let me know how that goes, I have not had anybody mention trouble with the charger to me, as of yet.

• 2. Solar Charger Appears to Actually Drain Power.  Advice?
    DHJACKSON1978 Newbie

I HAVENT TRIED TO USE A CHARGER BUT IT IS GOOD TO KNOW THAT I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE HAVING ISSUES WITH THE PHONE STAYING CHARGED. I MEAN THIS PHONE LOSES CHARGE RAPIDLY. I HAVE MISSED IMPORTANT BUSINESS CALLS AND MEETINGS. I HAVE TO TURN IT OFF AND LET IT COOL OFF TO REGAIN ANY POWER. I HAVE EVEN BEGUN TO LAY A PERSONAL FAN ON TOP OF IT WHILE ITS CHARGING WHICH SEEMS TO WORK FAIRLY WELL BUT WHAT AM I TO DO WHEN I AM AWAY FROM HOME? UGH! I AM SO DISSAPPOINTED IN THIS PRODUCT. I THOUGHT I WAS FINALLY DOING SOMETHING ECO POSITVE BUT THIS IS CLEARLY NOT THE DEVICE FOR ME. SENDING IT BACK ASAP.

• 3. Solar Charger Appears to Actually Drain Power.  Advice?
    LMSCULLY Newbie

The battery life is insanely low.   I really enjoy Android and the  actual phone itself, but I constantly need to into the settings and kill  everything running except what is essential. I do this DOZENS of times  each day.   I have the wireless turned off except for a few minutes at a  time during the day.  I can't have any of my programs auto update  messages like from Facebook or Twitter.  It's all an extreme power  drain.  During phone calls lasting more than 5 minutes, the back of the  phone gets extremely hot to the touch.  I keep this thing connected to my computer at work all the time so the battery does not run down.

The quoted phone talk time is 5.4 hours (assuming your phone  doesn't melt along the way).  That is ridiculous.  The Motorola XPRT  which is running Android has a talk time of over 9 hours.  I'm seriously  considering changing over to that phone if Sprint will let me.  I am  definitely sending back that SOLAR CHARGER.  It is a complete waste of  $30.  I did finally get it to charge, but I had to go in and close all  of the programs and all of the running services for it to work.  Good concept, but not market ready.

• 4. Solar Charger Appears to Actually Drain Power.  Advice?
    Dribblemania Sprint Employee

Sounds like a bad battery.  My Replenish lasts a full day if I am not talking all day on it.  I consider the solar charging battery cover to be an accessory that provides a boost to your charge, but is not meant to replace the wall or car charger.  However, if you are finding that it's overheating, it needs to go to a service center to be looked at.

D

• 5. Solar Charger Appears to Actually Drain Power.  Advice?
    LMSCULLY Newbie

Thanks for the replies.  I ended up changing my Replenish out for the Motorola XPRT.  Aside from being an incredibly robust phone, it comes with built in software to control your battery useage levels.  I have been working and  talking on it all day and I am only down to a 90% charge.  The Replenish would have needed recharging hours ago.  Still looking forward to the day when all phones have solar chargers on them.

• 6. Solar Charger Appears to Actually Drain Power.  Advice?
    LAGEREA Newbie

I recently took mine on a camping trip for three days. I left with a full charge and lost service after about an hour so I turned on airplane mode and just used the phone for music in my car. I left it turned over on my dash which got pretty solid rays the whole trip. The surprising thing to me was that while the phone was warm it was not hot and I had a full charge even playing music the entire time. Day two, still in airplane mode I had about 50% charge and gave it roughly an hour in direct sunlight and I had hit almost 100%. Depleted the battery all the way down that night and on day three I got up to 64% charge off of another hour in direct light. I honestly feel like it takes longer charging the phone from AC power than the sun itself. Now if someone could just design a decent protective case that fits for this thing and it would be the perfect phone for me.

• 7. Solar Charger Appears to Actually Drain Power.  Advice?
    Sprint Employee

that's interesting to hear your solar charger accessory is working so nicely. i'm sure there are different factors at play when charging with the sun. UV protected glass seems to make it hard to charge, if it does at all. Direct sunlight seems to be the key. Cloud cover also makes a difference. I like the fact that Samsung is trying. I don't see other manufacturers doing this yet. I'm sure the technology will get better.

• 8. Solar Charger Appears to Actually Drain Power.  Advice?
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

I feel the part of LAGEREA's story that we should realize as a major differentiating factor is that he had enabled airplane mode which had prevented all cellular use including background data. I have no doubt what so ever that the solar charger produces less amperage than a a/c charger or CLA charger. If less power is consumed by the device, the lower amperage charger will be far more effective than if the phone is going "Full steam ahead".

• 9. Solar Charger Appears to Actually Drain Power.  Advice?
    sun56fire Newbie

HEY MINE DID THE SAME THING! I TOOK A TRIP TWO HOURS FROM MY HOME. I HAD A FULL BATTERY WHEN I LEFT MY HOUSE. BY THE TIME I GOT TO MY DESTINATION I HAD ABOUT 20% OF MY BATTERY. I HAVE NOT USED IT SINCE. BUT HAVE NOT HAD TOO. FOUND THIS GREAT BATTERY SAVER APP. MY BATTERY WILL BE AT ABOUT 70% BY THE TIME IM DO MY HOURS.  I WISH I NEVER GOT THAT SOLAR CHARGER. WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY. THEY NEED TO REFUND US. I HAVE BEEN A LONG TIME CUSTOMER AND AM VERY DISAPPOINTED.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points