This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2012 1:14 PM by HappyFRD RSS

9230 : Message sent using invalid number of digits... Msg 2114

DrussRob75 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I've run into this problem on my Samsung Epic. The issue only occurs with one contact/number, which ironically is another sprint phone on my account (another Epic).

If I start a new message thread to the contact (which is synced from gmail and a valid 10 digit number and also has been deleted and added manually every way you can imagine) the first text goes through.

Viewing the thread in the Epic default messaging app, it shows the name and full number (area code+: xxx-xxx-xxxx).

They then reply to my text and it comes through back to my phone no problem.

What I've noticed, is If you leave the messaging app open on the screen you can message back and forth with no problem.

The issue comes as soon as you exit out of the thread or app. Then when you go back into it, at the top of the thread the number now says "name (xxx-xxxx)".

It drops the area code every time.

All I did was exit out of the thread/app and come back into it. Why is it dropping the area code?

From that point forward, no outgoing text messages will go through on this thread.

The only way to get a text to go through to that number again is to 'delete' the thread and start a new thread again which will go out with the xxx-xxx-xxxx number with area code.

I'm not asking Sprint for help on this anymore as it's obvious they don't care to fix it. I'm asking if anyone out there has found thier own fix.

And yes I know about deleting the contacts and call logs and all the other things they have you do that don't help.

I'm already upset with Sprint being liars. This isn't helping.

• 1. 9230 : Message sent using invalid number of digits... Msg 2114
    -D4V1D- Silver Expert

Hi DRUSSROB -

I'm sorry that you haven't reveived a solution for this through Sprint.  This is a known issue that both Sprint and Samsung are working on correcting and will be included in the next maintenance release. The current workarounds for this are what you are already attempting:

1. Send a New SMS to the contact you received an error message rather than using the existing thread in the Messaging Application

2. Delete the SMS Thread and the Contact from their device, then re-add the Contact back to the device

The other thing you can try doing, that has worked for me, is to download a third-party messaging application like 'handcent' from the Market and use it until the next release comes out to fix this issue.

• 2. 9230 : Message sent using invalid number of digits... Msg 2114
    DrussRob75 Regular Visitor

Third party apps also have this problem.

• 3. 9230 : Message sent using invalid number of digits... Msg 2114
    MOONDUSTERR Newbie

Any word on this? So far it is only doing it to one number for me but it's my husbands number & we text quite often & actually NEED too with our line of work so I need this fixed ASAP! It started when I was out of town last week & it has not stopped. I can't send a text to him no matter what. Please help!

• 4. 9230 : Message sent using invalid number of digits... Msg 2114
    BeaArthur Bronze Expert

Hi MOONDUSTERR, welcome to the Community and thanks for posting! As _D4V1D_ stated above, the word on this issue is that both Sprint and Samsung are working on correcting and will be included in the next maintenance release.

• 5. Re: 9230 : Message sent using invalid number of digits... Msg 2114
    karmarecycles Newbie

My partner and I  both have Epic's on the same sprint account and are having this problem as well.

I've checked and tried everything, but no matter what I do, her phone messaging drops the area code.

If the work arounds and thirdd party software don't work, how long until Sprint and Samsung figure it out and get us a solution.

We've had the phones since October of 2010 and haven't had any major problems until now. We upgraded to Android 2.2 a while ago and haven't changed anything else.

• 6. 9230 : Message sent using invalid number of digits... Msg 2114
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

If you are a Samsung Epic user this Error 9230 may be related to a failure in the Android operating system, Samsung is working on integrating a patch for it in the next software release. Many Epic users have found that if they delete the contact & sms conversation for the affected conversation, then clear the call log it is resolved. While others note after those steps when they are sent an sms from the person that they have trouble with the new sms shows from a seven digit number. Please see and post in this thread if you use an Epic

• 7. 9230 : Message sent using invalid number of digits... Msg 2114
    starwood2003 Newbie

This is crazy.  It's been identified back in 2010 and still not resolved.  I'm a new Sprint customer and am not happy as I'm having the same issue with only one contact and wouldn't you know that is the only person in my contacts who is a Sprint customer!  All the others are Verizon and there is no issue.  I've made more than several attempts to delete contact, logs and threads and recreate and try again only for the same thing to happen again and again.  Message can't be sent.  when I try to manually add the area code I get invalid recipient. 

• 8. 9230 : Message sent using invalid number of digits... Msg 2114
    NormaAndersen Newbie

9230 : Message sent using invalid number of digits... Msg 2114

I have a Samsung Epic and my son paid an enourmous amount of money for it, about 500.00.  I have been having this issue also with text messaging.  It's really annoying. I am hoping I will be able to get a a different type of phone.

Over all though, I love Sprint and their customer service. They are flexible on my bill pay and provide excellent service to me.

• 9. 9230 : Message sent using invalid number of digits... Msg 2114
    dcaudill1547 Newbie

Good Luck with that. Mine (an epic also and my husbands also) has been doing that for over 2 months. There is no known fix for it. It's irritating. I've been to the sprint store, have been in contact with the executive secretary of the ceo...basically you just have to live with it until there is a fix.

• 10. 9230 : Message sent using invalid number of digits... Msg 2114
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

To users of the Samsung Epic, please post regarding this matter here. This problem has been documented, and is being investigated. We anticipate this will be resolved in a pending software update. for those experiencing this problem it is suggested that you clear your call log, then delete the messaging conversation and contact, in this states some users find that if the other party send them an SMS it will show as it came from a 7 digit number, some have found that if they create the contact again and place a direct message shortcut on the main screen they are able to text from there. but in short software is being developed and tested to counteract this problem.

• 11. 9230 : Message sent using invalid number of digits... Msg 2114
    PUGELS Regular Visitor

Here is the fix. I have tested it and it works.

First the issue is you once texted someone with a 7 digit number. Most likely becuase you stored them in your contacts that way. Even if you update the contact info it will always drop the area code from all future messages to that person. Everyone that was stored correctly will message correctly. Deleting the contact and reinstalling them will not work. Importing the contact again will not work. Deleting the message thread and starting a new thread will not work.

Here is what you need to do.

Clear data in the Dialer and Dialer storage.... under manage Applications> All.

That is Settings - Applications - Choose All to view All choices - then find Dialer and clear the Data. Repeat this for the Dialer Storage as well.

I personally also deleted the message thread first from the text message window and my log history which is a menu item from your call screen.

This process will not delete all your contacts.

The only other fix to this problem is to reset back to factory defaults. I don't suggest this at all.

Good to go afterwards!...

• 12. 9230 : Message sent using invalid number of digits... Msg 2114
    yorkeyluva Newbie

Hi PUGELS1,

Thanx soooooooo much for ur fix..it actually WORKED!!! I have an Epic 4g and was having the exact same probs w/only one contact # - my husband on the same Sprint acct, possibly because I initially saved his contact # w/only 7 digits. U were exactly right about all the deleting and re-installing - never worked. At 1st, I thought ur fix did not work, since after I cleared the dialer data and tried to test a msg, totally different contact #s came up, but after turning off my phone (as a reboot) all contacts were still there and correct #s came up when messaging.

• 13. 9230 : Message sent using invalid number of digits... Msg 2114
    tntoygirl Newbie

This worked!  Thanks so much  PUGELS1!  Why can't sprint come up with an answer if users can!

• 14. Re: 9230 : Message sent using invalid number of digits... Msg 2114
    ANGIE.57 Newbie

Thank you so much for posting this fix.  My daughter was extremely upset to find that she couldn't reply to text messages from or even call one of her friends on her new phone. 

The fix you posted took care of everything and now she's made sure that all of her contacts have an area code listed so she won't run into this problem again.

Message was edited by: ANGIE.57 Her phone is the Samsung Replenish.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points