This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2011 8:55 AM by teknospawn RSS

How do I play 3d movies that i've transferred over to my HTC EVO 3D?

teknospawn Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I have a few 3d movies which I formatted into .mp4 file (as the htc evo 3d is most comfortable with that format and when it encodes 3d video using the 3d camera, that is the format it outputs)

The Htc Evo 3D or HE3D, outputs the file this way

1280x720

29fps

5300kbps

audio-

64kbps

2 channel

I've also converted my files to be the same format in order to more easily play back for the HE3D

After transferring the files over to my htc evo 3d, I tried a few things which didn't work.

First I tried to view using the built in "media gallery".

It recognized that the file was present and in playable condition, but displayed a black screen and froze everytime. (File was 1.5 gb maybe too big?)

Next I tried to get the "Watch" application to recognize the file, but it would not. (Sidenote, the videos under the "Watch" application folder have different extensions with multiple files per video)

Obviously I cannot convert to a "watch" recognized file format.

Next i downloaded rockplayer application which plays all types of formats.

Here I had the most luck. The file played (side by side in stereoscopic format) but sound was a bit weird, and not in 3d. Just 2 pictures side by side.

Please help me to figure out how to play back 3d files on the HE3D !!

thanks!

• 1. How do I play 3d movies that i've transferred over to my HTC EVO 3D?
    abe2020 Sprint Employee

Selecting an Album _ Press and tap > Gallery. All your photos and videos are organized by albums for easy viewing.

Watching Videos- Video is always displayed in landscape mode when you play it. While browsing an album, tap a video to play it. _ Use the onscreen controls to play, pause, or stop the video. For an enhanced audio experience, tap to turn on SRS (not available when you're using a Bluetooth headset). _ Tap to toggle between full and best-fit screens.

You can play these high-definition MP4 video formats in Gallery: _ H.263 profile 0 @ 30 fps, WVGA (800x480), max 2 Mbps _ MPEG-4 simple profile @ 30 fps, 720p (1280x720), max 6 Mbps _ H.264 baseline profile @ 30 fps, 720p (1280x720), max 6 Mbps

All videos- let you view all videos that are stored in all the folders on the storage card. _ Photos and videos that you set as your favorites will be grouped under my favorites. _ if you have downloaded any photos and videos, these will be placed in the All downloads album. Photos or videos that are under the root path of your storage card (that are not contained in folders) are grouped in others.

• 2. How do I play 3d movies that i've transferred over to my HTC EVO 3D?
    teknospawn Newbie

Maybe I should clarify the question.

How do I get my 3D videos to work on my HE3D?

Also clearly you did not read my post before answering. Because you're answer is not relevant to my topic.

• 3. How do I play 3d movies that i've transferred over to my HTC EVO 3D?
    robotaholic Gold Expert

@ teknospawn - I understand what you are asking:  How do you get your personal collection of 3D movies to play on the evo 3D in 3D! - I have researched this, asked my friends, checked out some file converter apps, Googled this, and all I can tell you is that I am finding no useful information.  I am sorry I don't have an answer at this time.  I am still searching however.  This is a slightly complex situation that would require me to obtain a 3d movie file, side load it onto the device and try out some conversion applications...I don't have access to those resources at this time.  However, I intend to get this phone Monday and if I do, I'll be trying to do the same thing that you are.  If and when I find a solution or method to get them to play, I'll hit up this thread and tell you what I got.  I hope that helps.  Thanks for your patience. 

• 5. How do I play 3d movies that i've transferred over to my HTC EVO 3D?
    teknospawn Newbie

@ robotaholic1

Cool man, I look forward to your news, and will keep this post up to date on my findings

@trangers

thanks for the link, however it is a generic add for a video converter and does not specifically address the 3d issue, but I did pick up a bit of useful information about an assumption I had on what could be the problem.

After trying many many combinations of trial and error, i have concluded that the issue is with the "video converter" software itself. When converting 3d movies to another format, it must have an option to properly convert the movie not just into .mp4  format, but with some form of "labeling" that the phone can recognize as "3d" and thus play the side by side stereoscopic image as "one" while activating the 3d hardware.

I've come to this conclusion because I have gotten the "gallery" program to correctly play 100% both video and sound of the files I converted from it's original 3d source. However it is with both images side by side and not in "3d" mode. I believe that the "gallery" program, which plays the 3d videos you record with your phone camera, has the ability to play back the 3d movies as well if it can recognize that the file is in 3d.

So currently I am searching to find a converter that will properly convert the movie into a proper 3d format that the phone will recognize in order to activate its 3d mode while playing.

I will try the link u suggested as it mentions a (

Batch video conversion

and

merging videos

are supported.)

I'm hoping the "merging videos" option is referring to the side by side images being merged into one 3d image.

Thanks for the help and I will reply about my success or failure, as I'm sure everyone who owns a 3d phone will at some point want to watch their own 3d movies instead of getting them strictly from the blockbuster or watch applications.

So to repeat myself, the issue is getting the phone to recognize that the file is a 3d stereoscopic image, and properly converting the file using a 3d capable video converter so that the phone will understand how to play it.

• 6. How do I play 3d movies that i've transferred over to my HTC EVO 3D?
    teknospawn Newbie

3D Over HDMI – Infoframe Metadata

Another aspect of the HDMI 1.4a 3D specification is the InfoFrame packets within the video stream that

identify the 3D structure being used for a specific piece of content. The 3D video format is indicated

using the VIC (Video Identification Code) in the Auxiliary Video Information (AVI) InfoFrame, in

conjunction with the 3D_Structure field in the HDMI Vendor Specific InfoFrame. The InfoFrame data tells

the display information about the picture content that the source is sending

I found this information on how blu ray 3d players read 3d media. I'm assuming something similar happens when the HE3D reads video information. Still looking for a converter that outputs 3d. DVDFAB actually turns 3d blu ray into 3d avi or mp4 format. So for those with bluray 3d movies, this software is the easiest/best to use. I myself have not tested this out yet.

• 7. How do I play 3d movies that i've transferred over to my HTC EVO 3D?
    malevolentbratchny Newbie

When viewing the video and it is displaying in side-by-side, press menu, then select play in 3d. I've only seen the option available when using the gallery app for playback.

• 8. How do I play 3d movies that i've transferred over to my HTC EVO 3D?
    beany323 Regular Visitor

yes. that was also the same problem i had. I found the concert of black eyed peas and all i was seeing was 2 movies at the same time. Also i used handbrake and followed the instructions of:

http://www.knowyourcell.com/htc/htc-evo-3d/evo-3d-guides/835578/how_to_convert_videos_and_transfer_them_to_the_htc_evo_3d.html

Great site for info on tricks and such.

Now just gotta find more movies.

hope that helps.

(+2 to malevolent for inffo)!!

• 9. How do I play 3d movies that i've transferred over to my HTC EVO 3D?
    beany323 Regular Visitor

program (free) handbrake. look for link on running it in conjection with evo 3d

• 10. How do I play 3d movies that i've transferred over to my HTC EVO 3D?
    teknospawn Newbie

yes, this worked! Im so stupid that I didn't check the menu for a 3d playback option. THANK YOU SO MUCH! I LOVE U ALL! Now i finally feel i am getting a good value from this phone! Im surprised sprint customer service never mentioned this option when i called and asked them.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points