This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 9 Previous Next 127 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2012 4:18 PM by AXMEZEN74 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Has sprint stopped expanding its 4g?
    nmherron Expert
    Currently Being Moderated

That's a bummer.  I know the towers in Gainesville and Lake City are working.  My neice has used it on her Evo Shift.

• 16. Has sprint stopped expanding its 4g?
    bugmenot1 Newbie

Sprint's 4g provider, Clearwire, has gone bankrupt and is being abandoned by Sprint. Sprint is working on moving to a different 4g technology but it will take time.

• 17. Has sprint stopped expanding its 4g?
    Expert

I guess Sprint disabled the email notification reply feature.  Sucks, because I remember replying in this topic and it was by replying to email.  Okay, I mentioned that at last check, Clearwire had 20% of OKC covered.  Since then, I noticed that the coverage for 4G has grown, but I have yet to be able to connect. 

Its funny how Sprint advertised the 4G to be their very own, lied to the public, and tricked many into signing contracts.  What is really amazing is that there is no class action lawsuit in sight, unless Sprint are quietly paying off people filling with the federal courts (sneaky settlement). 

Bye bye, Clearwire, and bye bye to all our current phones with 4G capability.

• 18. Has sprint stopped expanding its 4g?
    nmherron Expert

Clearwire will most likely be purchased by Sprint if it goes under.  Sprint gave Clearwire it's 2.5Ghz spectrum.  It can't just let it go.  It's worth hundreds of millions, if not billions.  For the Sprint 4G user, most likely there would be no disruption in service, no noticeable difference.  In fact, it would likely be better for us if Clearwire went bankrupt.  It's been Clearwire that's been holding up our 4G rollout anyway!!!

• 19. Has sprint stopped expanding its 4g?
    MoonFallsDown Newbie

Gainesville ... Florida?  My Evo doesn't find squat for 4g anywhere in Gainesville.  Where have you found it with your Shift?

• 20. Has sprint stopped expanding its 4g?
    nmherron Expert

gainesville062211.jpgClick on Map to Enlarge

In the above map, it shows where the limited coverage is in the Gainesville area.  It's largely just off Archer Road/34th Street area and out in Newberry.  It puzzles me why they would put a tower out in Newberry instead of a second one in Gainesville.

I grew up in Hawthorne, so I have a lot of family in the area.  My neice works at Shands, and she says she gets a 4G signal at her office with her Evo Shift.  This is confirmed by going to sensorly.com.  Someone has uploaded Sprint 4G results via the Android Sensorly app in Gainesville.  See below...

sensorlygainesville062211.jpg

The first time you try it, go to the center of the service area and turn on your 4G antenna.  You should try it outside or in your car.  Hold up the phone above dashboard height.  This way you are much more likely to find a signal.  Sprint's WiMax/4G is broadcast at 2.5Ghz and does not penetrate metal (and many other things) very well.  Give it a try!

• 21. Re: Has sprint stopped expanding its 4g?
    nmherron Expert

S.TAYLOR37 wrote:

That list is not correct, I live in Ocala Florida, and work out of Belleview, and travel the entire county, and have found no 4g services available on my evo in the entire county.

I went on to sensorly.com to verify service in your area.  See results below...

sensorlyocala062211.jpg

Someone had Sprint 4G service in the green areas around Ocala, The Villages and Lady Lake when they were using the Sensorly Android app.  So if you have been in these areas since the service went active in the past 45 days, then either your device is having a problem, the network was down, or your 4G antenna was not on.

No one has uploaded data from the Belleview tower yet.  So it's possible that it is not working for some reason.  However, the Belleview tower is in an odd place, not in town.  In the map below, I mark in dark green where the tower is likely to be. 

belleview062211.jpg

The next time you are in the area, you should drive out of town on CR 484 West and find a spot to pull over near the dark green spot (maybe near the big bend).  Turn on your 4G antenna, click tap to scan for service and see if it connects.  If it does, open the Sensorly app so it can plot the coverage.  I have plotted almost 15 new cities myself.  It's best to hold your phone above dashboard height whern trying to find a signal.  Sprint's 2.5Ghz band does not penetrate metal very well (or anything else for that matter).

It would be nice to verify if the Belleview tower is operational.  So far, it hasn't been verfied like the Ocala and Lady Lake towers.  Also, try it in Ocala on Silver Springs Blvd at 25th Avenue.  I'm certain you will find that signal.

• 22. Re: Has sprint stopped expanding its 4g?
    MoonFallsDown Newbie

Interesting.  I've never heard of this Sensorly thing, very useful.

I live just north of the stadiums and I don't get squat there.  I just kind of assumed that no place in Gainesville had it because it wasn't listed on their site as one of the cities.

Definitely going to give this a shot, thanks for the info.

• 23. Has sprint stopped expanding its 4g?
    S.TAYLOR37 Newbie

I have never tried those particular areas in Ocala, or Lady Lake.  I go to Sam's Club in Lady Lake every other Sunday, so I will be trying that this weekend.  As for Belleview, my office is on 441 between 95th st and 110th st, so I can say for certain, I have no 4g coverage there.  I work on 484 all the time, but can't say for certain I have tried 4g in that area in the last month, but I will be trying it very soon.  I will get that app, so I can help try and plot it.

• 24. Re: Has sprint stopped expanding its 4g?
    nmherron Expert

S.TAYLOR37 wrote:

I have never tried those particular areas in Ocala, or Lady Lake.  I go to Sam's Club in Lady Lake every other Sunday, so I will be trying that this weekend.  As for Belleview, my office is on 441 between 95th st and 110th st, so I can say for certain, I have no 4g coverage there.  I work on 484 all the time, but can't say for certain I have tried 4g in that area in the last month, but I will be trying it very soon.  I will get that app, so I can help try and plot it.

Thanks for the update.  I look forward to hearing your results.  Please post your findings.

• 25. Has sprint stopped expanding its 4g?
    nmherron Expert

Sprint/Clear have turned on 4G/WiMax service to the following cities in the past two weeks:

• ALASKA:  Fairbanks
    • ARIZONA:  Fortuna Foothills
    • CALIFORNIA:  Watsonville
    • FLORIDA:  Naples
    • GEORGIA:  Covington
    • IOWA:  Waterloo, Marshalltown
    • KENTUCKY:  Lexington, Glasgow
    • MASSACHUSETTS:  Chicopee
    • MINNESOTA:  Fergus Falls, Pipestone
    • MISSISSIPPI:  Greenville
    • MISSOURI:  Winston, Sweet Springs
    • NEW YORK:  Nassau, Allegany, Olean
    • OKLAHOMA:  McAlester
    • PENNSYLVANIA:  Shenandoah/Frackville
    • TENNESSEE:  Dyersburg
    • TEXAS:  Kerrville, Mineral Wells
    • VIRGINIA:  Christiansburg
    • WISCONSIN:  Oregon/Stoughton (South Madison)

Also, service was expanded in Little Rock, Arkansas, Springfield, Missouri and Clarksville, Tennessee.

• 26. Has sprint stopped expanding its 4g?
    JOHSUARS Newbie

It definitely works here in Eureka, CA.  It was a nice surprise when I turned my recently purchased EVO 4G's 4G radio on!

• 27. Has sprint stopped expanding its 4g?
    nmherron Expert

There are two 4G towers in the Eureka/Arcata area. That's more 4G coverage than most communities of similar size.  Happy surfin'!

• 28. Has sprint stopped expanding its 4g?
    JOHSUARS Newbie

How do you find the towers?

• 29. Re: Has sprint stopped expanding its 4g?
    JeremyAmos Regular Visitor

Jul 3, 2011 3:32 PM (in response to nmherron)

You can exclude Collinsville/Martinsville VA from the 4G list -- We had "unannonced" coverage here for over 1/2 a year -- After a bad storm three weeks ago the 4G signal mysteriously disappeared here.  I've contacted Sprint and even Clear about the issue and nobody will aknowledge that we even ever had 4G coverage.  Clear.com/coverage for zip 24078 still shows coverage however.  Every rep I spoke to told me something different about the 4G in my area.  I've been told they don't see a tower, then adv tech support said they see the tower but couldn't send anyone to fix it because our area's location was not showing on their "Impact" system (whatever that is) also had one man with sprint say my 4G was down because so many EVO 3d got acctivated (yeah right).  Finally after numerous calls, chats, e-mails I just gave up. Everyone (Clear & Sprint) is saying to contact the other, and their maps don't show it, or if they do show it their computers will not let them submit a trouble ticket for repair because it's not on the offical map.  I recently purchased the EVO 3d and an EVO under the impression the 4G was going to continue working here... does anyone have ANY ideas how I can get this mystery tower repaired (that use to give me 7 megs down and 1 meg up speeds) ???

Jul 15, 2011 3:32 PM

****Update: Martinsville VA and Collinsville VA 4G service has returned today!

1 2 3 4 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points