This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2011 8:15 AM by rick.spencer RSS

Insert a microSD card in your HTC EVO 4G

EddHigbee Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

HELP A GUY, PLEASE.  I'M PLANNING ON CHANGING OUT MY 8MB MICROSD CARD FOR A 32MB CARD.  WILL I LOSE ANY OF THE INFORMATION I HAVE BEEN STORING ON THE PHONE LIKE EMAIL ADDRESSES, PHONE CONTACTS, OR DOWNLOADED APPLICATIONS?

• 1. Re: Insert a microSD card in your HTC EVO 4G
    NICHOLAAAAS Expert

at least it isn't another post about ringtones. serious calm the f down. all dude was asking is where what information is stored

• 2. Re: Insert a microSD card in your HTC EVO 4G
    nsabsood Newbie

Actually, the manual is largely a piece of garbage with almost no info whatsoever; seriously it's the worst manual I've ever gotten on any device that costs more than US$9.99.  It does not tell you where data is stored, what size SD cards the EVO can accept, etc and given the sizable onboard memory for the EVO it is reasonable to at least want to check whether contacts, etc are saved to the internal memory or the SD card.

• 3. Re: Insert a microSD card in your HTC EVO 4G
    cityw5 Expert

Dear friends - these forums are listed as a "community", so lets be good neighbors and help this poster out.

go to "settings" and then "connect to PC"  then "Default Connection Type" then select "Disk Drive" and hit "done"

Then connect your Evo to your computer; windows will automatically connect to the SD card in your Evo and then copy its contents to a folder on your computer.

Then take out your Evo battery, remove the SD card and insert the new one.  Replace the battery and it will reboot.  If your SD card is already formatted and is brand new, you'll see "preparing SD card" in the task bar.  After it is all completely loaded.  Follow the same steps as above to reconnect to your computer and then copy from your computer folder back to your new SD card.  Then all done!

OR - to be TOTALLY crazy - if you have an SD card reader on your computer, you can insert your Evo 8GB microSD into an SD adapter and insert directly into your computer - copy the files, then insert your new microSD, copy back and then insert the new one into your phone.

.... and there are even more options too, but at least these are two easier ones.

Please excuse our community friends who sometimes forget that there are real live people behind every post, and we should all remember to respond as if the poster is asking us a question in person.

• 4. Re: Insert a microSD card in your HTC EVO 4G
    shadowfyr62 Regular Visitor

I just purchased a larger microSD card myself and was planning on just that, copying the contents of my current card to the new card.  Glad to see I had the same thought as everyone else AND didn't start a new thread lol

• 5. Re: Insert a microSD card in your HTC EVO 4G
    ekks7410 Newbie

I too would like to upgrade my sd card and after reading multiple posts and drawing pieces of each I believe this is what should be done.

1. Connect EVO to your computer,

2. Copy files from sd card to computer.

3. disconnect from computer

4. unmount sd card

5. remove sd card

6. insert new sd card

7. format sd card

8. reboot phone

9. connect to computer

10. copy files to sd card

11. disconnect from computer.

Done.

Does that about sum it up?

• 6. Re: cityw4 response
    auterrific Newbie

This was insanely easy to do based on your instructions.  Thank you!

• 7. Re: Insert a microSD card in your HTC EVO 4G
    Suzatlarge Newbie

Thanks, cityw4! I just swapped out the 8gb SD card in my phone, for a new 32gb card. My steps, in case anybody reading this is a little unsure about opening up their phone.

1. I removed the 8gb card and put it  into an adapter, which plugged into an USB port on my iMac.
    2. I copied all content of the 8gb card into a new folder I created on the iMac desktop (called it "phone card").
    3. Ejected the card adapter, replaced the 8gb card with the new 32gb card, plugged the adapter back into the USB port.
    4. Copied all the content of the "phone card" folder (but not the folder itself) from the iMac desktop to the 32gb card.
    5. Ejected the adapter, put the new card into my phone, replaced the battery and back panel.
    6. Powered up the phone. All content on the card (including music and Kindle books) was accessible as if no card swap had occurred - except that now I have a LOT more room available on the card, of course.

I don't know diddlysquat about Android, just that I'm enjoying the heck out of my EVO phone and have easily managed content via my iMac. Now that the phone has more capacity, I plan to load more videos and music onto it - so that I can just take the phone to the gym for my treadmill workouts, instead of having to remember to bring along my iPod.

• 8. Re: Insert a microSD card in your HTC EVO 4G
    auterrific Newbie

Yeah, again, the phone has been so much more fun to use with more memory for the same reasons you mentioned, Suz (videos, music, etc.).  BTW  I use iSyncr to sync my iTunes to my EVO.  I love it!  The paid version works so much better so just go ahead and pay right away because you can sync as many lists (including movies) as you want.  Also, for those of you who don't know this, Amazon offers a free app (paid ones, typically) every day.  That's been a bit of a gold mine, too.  Just some helpful tips.     I have an extra battery charged at all times and have chargers in my car and at home for battery life, but would be interested to see if any of you have tried that extended life battery: http://www.amazon.com/Seidio-Innocell-Extended-Life-Battery-Black/dp/B003SNIR7Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306685844&sr=8-2  Have a great weekend!

• 9. Insert a microSD card in your HTC EVO 4G
    Suzatlarge Newbie

Thanks for the tip about iSyncr, I'll look into it.

I bought this extended life battery six weeks ago: http://www.amazon.com/Seidio-Innocell-1750-Extended-Battery/dp/B003OQUKMA/ref=cm_cr-mr-title. It has the same form factor as the OEM battery (not thicker) so I can still use the orignal phone back and my Otter case. I followed the instructions re the first five or six charge/discharge cycles and have been pleased with the battery life. Haven't looked at the one you cited, though. I'll probably buy a wall charger so I can carry the charged original battery with me if my Seidio battery poops out while I'm out and around. So far that hasn't been a problem, but if I start watching movies more on the phone, it could become an issue.

• 10. Insert a microSD card in your HTC EVO 4G
    KLCABLE Newbie

In response to you extended life battery comment.  I bought the extended battery from Sprint and love it.  I can run all day heavily using battery while checking 4 email accounts, texting, using the phone, navigation, etc.  Definitely a good purchase.

• 11. Insert a microSD card in your HTC EVO 4G
    auterrific Newbie

Thanks!

• 12. Re: Insert a microSD card in your HTC EVO 4G
    PJMASTERSON Newbie

Thank you SOOO much!!!!

• 13. Insert a microSD card in your HTC EVO 4G
    Ajay3d Expert

Hi guys just a FYI that if you remove the SD card that came with the phone you will not be able to play the movies or other things that came installed on the phone.

There is a security feature in the phone where the SD that came with phone will work.

You can us another higher storage card but it may not let you play movie that game pre installed.

• 14. Insert a microSD card in your HTC EVO 4G
    rick.spencer Bronze Expert

auterrific wrote:

Yeah, again, the phone has been so much more fun to use with more memory for the same reasons you mentioned, Suz (videos, music, etc.).  BTW  I use iSyncr to sync my iTunes to my EVO.  I love it!  The paid version works so much better so just go ahead and pay right away because you can sync as many lists (including movies) as you want.  Also, for those of you who don't know this, Amazon offers a free app (paid ones, typically) every day.  That's been a bit of a gold mine, too.  Just some helpful tips.     I have an extra battery charged at all times and have chargers in my car and at home for battery life, but would be interested to see if any of you have tried that extended life battery: http://www.amazon.com/Seidio-Innocell-Extended-Life-Battery-Black/dp/B003SNIR7Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306685844&sr=8-2  Have a great weekend!

The seidio 3500 mah is a good choice.  You can also pick up the sprint ext 2600 mah as well. Both batteries just about double your time between charges.  Rick

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points