1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2012 2:22 PM by ccerose111 RSS

EVO 3D (Day 2, this phone is a nightmare)

JT_Lite Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I just got my EVO 3D yesterday and I am getting random reboots (constantly), someimes the screen will not stop responding, going to a black screen.  Nothing gets the thing to turn back on, so I am forced to do a battery pull.  With the problems I've had with my EVO 4G, and these issues with my BRAND NEW EVO 3D, I'm starting to become less and less impressed w/ Sprint and HTC.  I've been on the phone w/ Sprint for two days it seems and I'm completely DREAD having to call them back about this. 

Unreal!

• 1. EVO 3D (Day 2, this phone is a nightmare)
    JT_Lite Regular Visitor

Are others having these issues?

Any ideas on what I should do?

Just sitting here, I've watched my EVO 3D, re-boot three times all by itself withing a half hour. 

• 2. Re: EVO 3D (Day 2, this phone is a nightmare)
    SA_Viper43 Bronze Expert

Take it to a Sprint store. Sounds like a software issue but hey, who knows. And do a factory reset before you go to the Sprint store.

• 3. Re: EVO 3D (Day 2, this phone is a nightmare)
    JPSquared Sprint Employee

Hello,

LITEPHISH724 I would recommend trying the factory reset and if that does not get it corrected, go back to the point of purchase and request an exchange. This is clearly not normal behavior and if the software reset does not correct it, it would likely be a hardware issue that you'd be better off just doing the exchange and getting a fully functional phone.

• 4. EVO 3D (Day 2, this phone is a nightmare)
    crystalblue23 Regular Visitor

I had exactly the same thing happen to my evo 3d. Luckily I

Still had my evo so was able to activate it again.

My battery also drained very fast

To make matters worse my evo is defective .. its a replacement

Phone. So called to get it replaced and the insurance said I have

To send the phone back FIRST. Guess they have a shortage of evos so they

Changed their policy ???

I'm not happy either ... Ready to jump ship

• 5. EVO 3D (Day 2, this phone is a nightmare)
    AuthorizedCustomer Newbie

It's happening to me on an EVO 3D, too. I tried doing a factory reset, but nothing is working.

Looking through online forums, I'm not seeing many reports of random reboots, so I suspect a problem with the phone.

• 6. EVO 3D (Day 2, this phone is a nightmare)
    IMTIYAZ921 Newbie

I am having no issues with my Evo 3D. touch wood!

As fr battery life, i did couple of cycles of "battery re-conditioing", and that has really boost up the battery life. Hope you guys get good repalcements soon. The phone is nice when its working fine.

• 7. EVO 3D (Day 2, this phone is a nightmare)
    KristiManny Newbie

I got my first Evo 3d on July 1st. By Sunday, the 3rd, I had to get a replacement because it wouldn't boot up. It would randomly restart and lock up. Now I have my second one and have been experiencing the same with my new one. I read somewhere it is an issue with the update that has to be installed in order to watch the green hornet. I'm really disappointed so far with this phone. Tempted to go back to the Evo. never had any problems with that phone.

• 8. Re: EVO 3D (Day 2, this phone is a nightmare)
    ccerose111 Expert

Seems you fell victim to a bad batch.

My 3D has been working great since I got it.  My call clarity and signal strength is just as good as I experienced on my EVO 4G, and the battery life of my 3D far exceeds what I experienced on my previous phone.

I haven't had any issues with the phone.  The only real problem I ran into had to do with the Sense UI email app and yahoo, but from what I understand, it wasn't limited to just the 3D.  I also had some issues getting the settings to my liking, but that had to do with my lack of knowledge of Sense 3.0.

The only thing I miss from my 4G is the loud external speaker.  On the 3D, I can hear the speaker fine if I'm in a quiet environment, but other than that, headphones are a must.  I really hope that a software update can increase the output and it's not a hardware limitation.

If you get a phone that behaves properly, I can't see how you wouldn't love it.  Good luck.

• 9. EVO 3D (Day 2, this phone is a nightmare)
    crystalblue23 Regular Visitor

I took my phone in to sprint for them to look at and get a replacement after

Experiencing the same thing.

Of course they couldn't find a thing wrong with it

After giving it some thought I wonder if its not a app or apps that's the cause

I did a factory reset before talking it in and played around with it a bit more .

I never had the sane issue repeat itself.

Only thing I did notice side by side my old evo had 2 -3 bars higher signal

Strength than the 3 d .

That might in itself make me decide to keep my evo because when

All is said and done I stlll need to use it as a phone LOL

But I will go pick it up and give it another try tomnorow. 

This time I will install a few apps at a time instead of all of them at ounce.

• 10. Re: EVO 3D (Day 2, this phone is a nightmare)
    Chele6370 Newbie

This was  frustrating me also today...rebooted several times...Also was having an issue with my icons turning into generic android icons...when I swapped those apps back from the sd card to the phone, I also stopped having reboot problems...I think they may be related.

**UPDATE**  I didn't touch my phone until 3 hours after my original post....I went to turn on my phone and nothing....I thought maybe my phone was dead...put it on the charger and still nothing....I realized I didn't even have a charging light...I had to pull the battery and than was able to turn it on...my battery was charged at 87%...This phone is driving me crazy...I will call sprint in the am.

**UPDATE 7/8/11**** I'm glad to say that I've had no issues for the last few days....I spoke with a friend today who works for Sprint...She works with High Profile Customers...She told me that this is a well known issue and they are working to resolve the problem....hope this brings a little bit peace of mind.  Good luck everyone!

• 11. Re: EVO 3D (Day 2, this phone is a nightmare)

I felt mine got more stable after installing that HTC software update (the prereq to watching The Green Hornet), but I've still had occasional spontaneous reboots or lockups. It's usually while the phone's in my pocket, but did happen four days ago while just sitting on a table for about 30 minutes.

• 12. Re: EVO 3D (Day 2, this phone is a nightmare)

By the way, I still see few reports of EVO 3D lockups and spontaneous reboots on online forums, and I have colleagues with highly stable EVO 3Ds, so I suspect a hardware problem is going to be behind these problems.

• 13. Re: EVO 3D (Day 2, this phone is a nightmare)
    JT_Lite Regular Visitor

Hey Everyone,

I'm the guy who originally started this thread and am happy to report I went into the Sprint store yesterday and they gave me a brand new EVO 3D.  I'm knocking on wood here, but so far, I've have no problems.  It hasn't restarted, it's not disconnected from the network anymore, and I haven't seen it restart itself once. 

If you guys are having issues, I strongly reccomend returning your phone to the Sprint store for a replacement. 

Good luck.

Litephish724

• 14. Re: EVO 3D (Day 2, this phone is a nightmare)

Litephish,

It's a couple of days later. Is the new phone working better?

A forum thread of others experiencing this same problem is at http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/363924-random-rebooting.html

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...