12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2011 12:02 AM by PENGUINS2971 RSS

How to install apps FROM sd card?

RalphPalace Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Hello everyone, it's been a week since switching to an EVO 3D from my Epic and I couldn't be happier. This phone truly is everything the Epic was not, starting with it not being a Samsung lol.

Anyway, my question is this: I saved some apps onto my SD card from my Epic and now I want to load those apps onto my Evo 3D. How do I go about doing that? Thank you in advance!

• 1. How to install apps FROM sd card?

Seriously? No one?

• 2. Re: How to install apps FROM sd card?
    rick.spencer Bronze Expert

It shold be pretty much the same: Go to setting>applications>manage applications>all>then click on the app and choose move to phone if available.  Rick

• 3. How to install apps FROM sd card?
    fireguy_6364 Master

if memory serves you cant save the actual app on your sd card. most of the information will be saved on it. but not the actual app. same applies if you do a factory reset and have those apps on your sd card. once the phone is back up and running your apps are no longer.( even if you remove the sd card). there are a few 3rd party apps out there that will save your apps so you can go back in and readd them. appbrain is one of them. others might know some more that are better.

• 4. How to install apps FROM sd card?
    abe2020 Sprint Employee

Go to Menu- Applications-Tap on an application that is on the SD Card-there should be an option to "Move to Phone."

• 5. How to install apps FROM sd card?
    fireguy_6364 Master

he's trying to move the apps from a EPIC to his EVO 3D through the sd cards

• 6. How to install apps FROM sd card?
    abe2020 Sprint Employee

The Apps that you have downloaded it to SD card were from Android Market or from a different source? If you've downloaded the Apps from  the Market, then you need to go to Market and re-download the App to your EVO 3D.

• 7. How to install apps FROM sd card?
    tomxp411 Newbie

I don't think you can do what you're trying to do... you just need to re-install your apps from the Market.

• 8. How to install apps FROM sd card?

I downloaded Music Online Lite, a music downloader program that's no longer avaiable on the market. I saved it onto the sd card on my Epic. Now I can't seem to find what apps have been saved on my sd card. I also purchased some apps and saved them onto my sd card and can't find them.

Also, are there any music downloader programs still in the market? It seems like they have all been removed.

• 9. How to install apps FROM sd card?
    fireguy_6364 Master

either way you'll have to reload them. the data and main information will save onto the sd card. but the actual app stays on the phone. if this werent the case no one would complain about having to do factory resets of their phone since the main problem is going back in and reloading all the apps you had before. had to do it yesterday and i removed the sd card before hand. all apps gone. even the ones stored to the sd card.

the purchased apps should be in your "my apps" area of the market. if you reload them and get charged call sprint and they will fix that.

as for music downloader programs i had a great one..but unfortunatly after said reset i forgot what it was called lol.

• 10. Re: How to install apps FROM sd card?
    tomxp411 Newbie

Okay, first things first.

If you used the "move to SD card" in the settings menu on the phone, this is not going to back up your installable .apk file. (an .apk file is an Android app, much like an .exe is a program on Windows computers.) This is called "Apps2SD." Apps2SD does NOT back up the original .apk file that you downloaded from the market. It simply moves raw assets and executable code over to the SD card, leaving private data behind on your phone. You cannot use App2SD apps on another phone. You must re-install the app on the new phone, even if it was moved to the SD card with Apps2SD. The ONLY way to back up an .apk file so that you can re-install it on your device or on another device is to use a program like AppMonster, ASTRO, or ES Application Manager. All of those can copy the installed .apk from your phone's application folder to a backup folder on your SD card.

Do you still have the Epic? I would suggest popping your SD card back in to the Epic, moving the app back to the phone's storage, then using AppMonster to back it up. While you're at it, set up a DropBox account and back up your .apk's to DropBox (or just copy them to a PC when you get a chance.) Once you have the app backed up with AppMonster, you can install the card in your new phone. Either use ES File Explorer to find the backup folder and launch the .apk from there, or install AppMonster on the new phone and restore the application.

As to the "music downloader" question - what precisely do you mean by this? As far as I know, Google has pulled anything designed to download pirated music, and any legal music sources already have their own apps.

• 11. How to install apps FROM sd card?
    fireguy_6364 Master

i know the EVO4G has a program called app share or something like that. will that do the same thing? transfer them from one phone to another kind of like music or rintones through bluetooth? i havent messed with it so im not really sure how it works.

• 12. Re: How to install apps FROM sd card?
    PENGUINS2971 Regular Visitor

If you're talking about having a full downloaded app that you downloaded to your SD card and you want to install the app, then go to the Market and get Astro File Manager and it will allow you to see the contents of the SD card and install the .apk file. Hope that's the answer you're looking for....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points