This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2012 7:56 PM by cheryl3344 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    LADYDEENY Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

There shouldn't be any limits on data usage if you're paying for unlimited data.  And Premier Gold customers shouldn't even have to have this conversation. 

• 16. Re: BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    LADYDEENY Regular Visitor

I agree with you completely.

• 17. Re: BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    Steven13772 Newbie

JanlumentI56:

I can certainly understand how this $10 dollar fee would come as a surprise.  This is something that I experienced with AT&T when I switched to my Galaxy S smart phone.  Previous to having this smart phone I had a BlackJack II, this was also considered a smart phone.  However it certainly wasn't nearly as smart as my Galaxy S!  The Simply Everything plan is a wonderful plan for people whom are heavy users and don't want the worry of going over their mins, txt, or data.  Something that must be realized however is that smart phones use way more data than regular phones.  If you where to compare what you used previously to what you have now you will see a huge incline in the data usage.  Smart phones are always running, and always updating information in the background even when the screen is off.  This isn't true however if you have certain 3rd party applications, such as Juice Defender.  We have received very little information from Sprint as to why they believe this fee needs to be added.  I received no real answer from AT&T either, other than "Now you have a smart phone."  My bill is already so high, why must I pay another $10.  What I believe is that this fee is actually going towards the companies to help them expand their 4G service area's.  If you have taken a look at the national coverage map on sprint.com and click the 4G tab you will find that many area's are not covered.  I don't believe this is just another way for the carrier to so called 'stick it to us.'  However one thing I can assure you is that if you switch carriers and you still have a smart phone you will still find an additional fee associated with having a smart phone.  You didn't mention if you are a Sprint Premier customer, however with the length of time that you have been with us it would be safe to assume that you are.  What you can do is call us and find out.  If so you have special offers that non-premier customers have.  Such as being able to upgrade your phone once a year at the promotional rate.  If it was me I would weigh the differences and research before you make a change.  I hope this helps you understand a little more.  I am sorry that you had this unexpected charge.

• 18. Re: BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    InPending Regular Visitor

I recently switched from AT&T to Sprint. I have no issues with either carrier. However, I do pay an extra $20 month for services. I could complain like most of you are doing, But, why? Sprint is still cheaper in the long run. I was paying extra data charges EVERYTIME I used the net with my past carrier, and half the time I couldn't connect. And, would still be charged for attempting. At least with $10 data add-on I know I can have peace of mind when surfing the net on my Epic.

• 19. Re: BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    LiLBit555 Expert

I agree with you ms.heathermichele. I am so tired of everyone complaining about this when it is only $10 extra per smartphone and way more expensive for AT&T and Verizon and they don't have unlimited anymore. Sprint isn't talking of changing this anytime soon either.

• 20. Re: BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    AngieInConroe Expert

Complaining will get you nowhere...the fee is a fact of life and Sprint is a good company to have your service with...and these smart phones are small computers...

• 21. Re: BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    nas35 Bronze Expert

Yes Sprint is a good company to have service with the plans are great.Sprint is the only provider with unlimited data plans everybody eles has caps or slow downs speeds like Tmobile wish slow u down afther 2GB.See we got it good wit Sprint the only provider with unlimited data so we as Sprint customers should be thankful to have unlimited data so stop complaining abot the $10 extra per smartphone whats $10 nothing so move on with ur life and enjoy ur service from Sprint.

• 22. BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    Cannonfoddr Newbie

How can you say a good company?????  I have a contract on a plan for smart phones, locked in to it for about another year.  I change smart phones and my plan price changes?  BS  I just talked to Customer Service and they told me it has nothing to do with the smart phone i want, being 4g.  Any change in a smart phone would kick in the change in the monthly bill.  So even if i had my phone break and went out and bought the same phone, my bill would go up.  That's BS.   My plan includes the premium data plan already...if having to change a phone do to a broken phone voids the price of the plan, then it should void the whole contract, but sprint doesn't see it that way.  Total BS

• 23. BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    CommentName Newbie

I mostly agree with you.

My Moment died for the third time and insurance kicked in to replace it. When I went to activate the phone myself, Sprint's web interface insisted on having me agree to a $10 surcharge a month. I then called customer service and they helped me activate the same phone as in my original plan with my monthly $70 charge with no extra data charge.

I was willing at the time to upgrade to an Epic for $150 and agree to 2 more years but that would mean I was agreeing to spend $240 more for the 2 year committment. The negative is that I have an older model phone with now an old version OS on it.

I like Sprint. Their customer service has changed dramatically over the years to be fantastic and their prices are great in comparison as you have all pointed out. I used to pay $40 a month for a cell phone from them, when I upgraded to a data phone I was willing to pay $360 a year more, but not $480.

I am hoping when my plan expires in March, they will come to their senses or their competition will and the price will remain $70 a month or even less.

• 24. BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    CRUSAD3RS Newbie

So for those wanting to leave Sprint due to the $10 fee to save money, have you seen what ATT and Verizon are offering?  Sprint's Everything Data 450 plan is $79.99.  ATT's 450 minute plan with data and text is $84.99, and that does not include the 7 PM nights and Weekends or the AnyMobile Anytime that Sprint offers. That's going to cost extra.  Verizon is $89.98 and they don't have AnyMobile Anytime or an earlier start time for Nights and Weekends. Both ATT and Verizon are limiting how much data you can use.  I don't know about you, but now that NetFlix works on my Epic, 2 gigabytes fly by within a week of usage.  I don't understand...you want to save money, so you are ditching the company with the best rates so you can go spend more money per month elsewhere.  Hate to say it, but every company is having rate increases, Netflix, BlockBuster, CenturyLink, etc.  My rates went up, but I'm still paying less than what I would elsewhere for decent service, and I'm just on the 3G network. Going forward, data is just going to be more and more prevailent-streaming HD movies, video conferences, high speed gaming, having everything from TVs to Toasters connect to the internet, etc, I'm glad I have a company that lets me use it without the meter running.

• 25. Re: BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    Cannonfoddr Newbie

I think the biggest part about this that is making people mad, is that our plans already include the preminum data plan.  We are locked into those plans.  Changing our bill and charging us $10 more amonth for something we are already suppose to be paying for is the problem.  Here is the real part of the scam that is ******* me off.  Sprint does "upgrades" to the phone, changes the Nav program and the phone runs slower and slower.  Most of the time my phone is running so slow that i can even get it to answer a phone call before it goes to voice mail.  I can make a selection on the phone and literally count to 10-15 before anything seems to change on the phone.  I didn't ask for these "upgrades", but sprint gave them to me.  Now my phone is so slow, that it is almost completely unusable.  Solution, get a faster phone.....sprint solution...give me "upgrades" untill my phone is so slow that i have to upgrade to have a usable phone, then charge me for changing.  Feels alot like a setup.

• 26. BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    8165884399 Newbie

I am with you.  I have a family plan and I just found out about this when a friend who recently purchased a sprint account.  When I called, I was told that everyone has to pay this fee.  I have an evo so I had to pay the 4g fee when I got it on opening day.  Purchased it full price so I did not change anything.  My 2nd phone is a piece of junk palm pre which the screen recently broke.  I am no going to pay two 10 dollar premiums on this account especially if the 2nd phone can not get 4g.  Sprint is quickly becoming the smallest provider and will lose everything if they do not make better choices.  If you remember they pulled the same stunts when 3g rolled out.  Charging 15 dollars per line for the 3g, but only if you had 3g on your account.  Sprint if your so worried about the T-Mobile and ATT thing, then you should provide links to the congress and FCC and any other government agency so people can help with the fight.  Do not ***** your loyal customers over

• 27. BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    lesaru Newbie

Totally agree.  Long time customers should be rewarded for not changing to newer companies with amazing offers.

• 28. BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    WINKIEBOO8 Newbie

WELL IM HAPPY WITH WHAT I HAVE WITH SPRINT, BEEN WITH THEM FOR 7 YRS AND STILL NO COMPLAINTS. I UPGRADED TO AN SMARTH PHONE AND IS VERY PLEASED WITH MY CHOICE, AS FAR AS THE PRICING, SEE PEOPLE MESS UP WHEN THEY GO OVER THERE SPENDING LIMIT BY BUYING APPS INSTEAD OF GOING TO A SHARED SITE. IF ANYONE WANNA KNOW HOW TO GET THE FREE GAMES, MUSIC, WALL PAPER, ETC.... WITH OUT HAVING TO PAY MONEY OR CAN'T FIND IT IN THEIR DROID MARKET, HOLLA AT ME. I CAN HELP YOU WITH THAT.

• 29. BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE
    OWENDWARD Newbie

I have been a customer for 20 yrs. But I have no complaints about the charge simply because I upgraded to a 4g phone and being a business owner I understand the need to upgrade the price as well. This is the first time they have ever just added a cost to my rate and they warned me prior to purchasing my Epic.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...