This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2011 10:22 PM by Levi4u RSS

Can i change my phone without extending my plan?

Cailyn_G Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Yes, i know this question has been asked before, but i don't know what else to do to find this out. I currently have a Samsung Reclaim. Ive had this phone since Dec 23, 2009. This phone is always breaking. This is my third replacement and im tired of it breaking. The back is always coming off even if i don't drop it and it's always turning itself off if i open it too fast or if i press certain buttons. I want to know if i'm able to switch to a Rumor Touch with out having to extend my contract for another 2 years. I'm desperate and i really need a new phone asap.

• 1. Re: Can i change my phone without extending my plan?
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Generally speaking yes, you may swap your phone without a contract extention. which service plan do you have on your account right now?

• 2. Can i change my phone without extending my plan?
    WOLFPAT Newbie

Be careful when you talk to the Sprint customer service. They extenended my plan even though I hadn't upgraded my phone yet. Now, they want full price for me to get a new phone. I've tried to get them to fix this foul up, but they are slow in doing so.

• 3. Can i change my phone without extending my plan?
    Cailyn_G Regular Visitor

Everything Data Family/Share 1500

• 4. Can i change my phone without extending my plan?
    Cailyn_G Regular Visitor

so if i swapping my phone won't extend my plan do i have to pay an activation fee or an upgrade fee? and if so how much?

• 5. Can i change my phone without extending my plan?
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

You should have no problem swapping phones without a renewel of your service agreement, we would renew your service agreement with that plan if we sold you a phone, with an upgrade discount. since you did not mention when you wrote about switching to the Rumour touch on how you had/wanted to obtain the phone that may affect the outcome. if you purchased this phone either from sprint with no discount, or from another party then your service agreement would be untouched. If you go to a service and repair center and they say that the M560 must be replaced and they are willing to help, you may ask since you have had the phone replaced multiple times if there may be a comparable phone that they could swap it for. some of the time I see people using the term swap a few ways, it could indicate the action of exchanging a phone, at a store for example. In other examples the word swap may be used to activate a new phone on one of your phone numbers through sprint.com or by calling us. please let me know if you have any unanswered questions.

• 6. Can i change my phone without extending my plan?
    Cailyn_G Regular Visitor

I have protection on my samsung reclaim so if i buy the Rumor Touch from somebody else would it go to that phone? Like if the Rumor Touch happened to break or get damaged id be able to get a replacement for it? && if i buy it from sprint how much will the upgrade discount be?

• 7. Can i change my phone without extending my plan?
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

If you are willing to renew your service agreement and qualify for upgrade pricing the discount will vary by model, if you highlight shop, then click phones you will see more, or less the same prices that the stores and call center's offer, sometimes it may be different price by channel, and if there is a mail in rebate some of the time bestbuy may be a better deal as they no longer allow mail in rebates and they offer instant rebates instead. TEP, ESRP, and ERP protection plans will follow your phone number, not the phone, so if you got a phone from a friend, as long as our stores had not previously judged as damaged beyond repair by a service center it will be covered.

• 8. Can i change my phone without extending my plan?
    Cailyn_G Regular Visitor

so if i bought the phone from another person all id have to do is renew the service agreement? && my plan and everything else will stay the same?(:

• 9. Can i change my phone without extending my plan?
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

I apologize, I mean to say that if you get a phone from a friend/craigslist, or where ever you had you will not have to renew your service agreement, you will only have to renew the agreement if we (sprint) sell you a discounted phone, or change you to a plan that requires a specific term length which had not already been fulfilled, for example, I had a 1 year contract that was fulfilled, but the plan I want requires a 2 year service agreement.

• 10. Can i change my phone without extending my plan?
    Cailyn_G Regular Visitor

ohhh i seee. so let me see if this is right... if i get the Rumor Touch from a friend i will NOT have to renew my service agreement? && if i buy it from sprint ill have to renew the agreement and i may have to change my plan if i want a certain service agreement?

• 11. Can i change my phone without extending my plan?
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

Sorry for the confusion.  We only require a 1 or 2 year commitment for giving a customer a "discount" on a new phone, or opening a "new" line of service.  If you have Sprint service already, and want to get a used phone to put on your phone number, you can do this without renewing your contract.  You can even switch to our Everything Data plan to get all the cool stuff the Rumor touch can do, if you're not on this plan already; all without renewing your contract.

Tom  

• 12. Can i change my phone without extending my plan?
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

To WOLFPAT58 ~ Extending your service agreement or contract DOES NOT reset your upgrade eligibility.  We corrected this problem several years ago.  We now track "equipment discounts" to apply upgrade offers to a line.  If it was reset in error, I can get that fixed for you.  It can only happen when equipment is involved.  For example, a customer upgrades their phone but changes their mind and sends the phone back or returns it to where they purchased it, and the upgrade eligibility doesn't get reset when the phone is returned.  But changing your plan, accepting contract renewal discounts, or just renewing a contract will not reset your upgrade eligibility. 

If you'd like to private message me, you can click on my avatar.  I would need your name and Sprint phone number. 

Tom

• 13. Can i change my phone without extending my plan?
    Cailyn_G Regular Visitor

Ohhh ohkaay. so pretty much im good to go? i can buy the phone from my friend and get the service agreement on that phone and everything else will remain the same as it is now?

• 14. Can i change my phone without extending my plan?
    Cailyn_G Regular Visitor

ohh yeah id also like to know if i can get my contacts transferred over to the new phone if i dont buy it from sprint

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points