This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 13 Previous Next 194 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2011 2:42 PM by Truth_Seeker Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Administrative Fee Change & Contract Cancelation
    Truth_Seeker Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

I have no problem with sprint raising fees.  However, I hate the fact that they try and hide it by posting a note in the margin of the bill.  Sadly, many people just don't know they are doing this and that is just unfair.  I want to know what merits an increase in a fee.  What did yall improve to merit this fee?  I can tell  you it certianly wasn't your customer service.  If they explained it to me and called to make sure I as a valued employee understood it and told me my options then i'd gladly pay it and stay with them till they tried to [...] me over again

EDIT: I meant sprint CUSTOMER not employee.

Message was edited by: mapesy who removed language

• 16. Administrative Fee Change & Contract Cancelation

Your version of providing notice requires you to view a copy of your newest bill.  Keep in mind some people just pay the cost every month assuming nothing has been changed.  After all who's going to notice a $.50 change?  They have a month to choose whether or not to cancel the contract with paying and ETF.  This is possible because of the old terms and conditions stating

When You Don't Have To Pay An Early Termination Fee

You aren't responsible for paying an Early Termination Fee when  terminating Services: (a) provided on a month-to-month basis; (b)  consistent with our published trial period return policy; or (c) in  response to a materially adverse change we make to the Agreement as  described directly below.

Our Right To Change The Agreement & Your Related Rights

We may change any part of the Agreement at any time, including, but not  limited to, rates, charges, how we calculate charges, or your terms of  Service. We will provide you notice of material changes—and may provide  you notice of non-material changes—in a manner consistent with this  Agreement (see "Providing Notice To Each Other Under The Agreement"  section).

If a change we make to the Agreement is material and has a  material adverse effect on Services under your Term Commitment, you may  terminate each line of Service materially affected without incurring an  Early Termination Fee only if you: (a) call us within 30 days after the  effective date of the change; and (b) specifically advise us that you  wish to cancel Services because of a material change to the Agreement  that we have made.

If you do not cancel Service within 30 days of  the change, an Early Termination Fee will apply if you terminate  Services before the end of any applicable Term Commitment.

Obviously they increased the administrative fees thinking it was no big deal without informing anyone of this thinking people would just pay the bill.  When your bill is past due Sprint makes sure to take the time to send a free text message reminding you to pay or services may be interrupted.  Thats nice of you.  But how about posting the changes where people don't have to search for them.  Like on the Home page in bold?  **** make a popup or something send out emails anything to inform people they have options and are not required to pay a voluntary surcharge or administrative fee of up to $1.99  They could tell them in advance and offer discounts post changes in store fronts inform employees anything.  But unfortunately when I went to my sprint store to ask the manager about this, he had no idea what I was talking about and I got the run around.  Same story for calling customer servicd then asking to speak to the supervisor.  Finally after a third attempt I got someone the works for sprint to inform me that if terms and conditions are changed, you have to call within 30 days to cancel contract if you dont' agree.  Instead they either had no clue or were told not to tell people about it.  I put up with 8 years of sprint back when it was nextel and loved the service.  But the plans keep changing and you have to search for answers.  Sprint tried to make a couple extra dollars off of people not knowing doing this, especially after so many people just got new contracts with EVO 3D,  would cause them to lose a lot of money.  But they deserve it for how they tried to hide it. 

• 17. Administrative Fee Change & Contract Cancelation

exactly! With them for 8 years 3 people on the plan just wanted to know what the increase was for and not just because they could get away with it.  Oh well they'll get screwed again. 

• 18. Administrative Fee Change & Contract Cancelation
    Holes45 Newbie

I will be gone.  When pricing out att with the usage my family has, it is the same price.  Sprint has pulled the last straw. 

• 19. Administrative Fee Change & Contract Cancelation
    john43062 Regular Visitor

I may have a idea to get sprint to stop hiding there fees and such, everyone file a complaint with the State AG office, bomb barding them with this info and see what happens. After my dat today with Victor of Retentions trying to explain this to him, was a nitemare.

And to the person that said 95% just say they are leaving, well i am. I have not started paying the 10 Bucks per smartphone fee yet because we havent upgraded phones. I presently have the family plan,1500 min, 129 plus tax. When i upgrade bill goes up 20 then your in the range of ATT and Verizon and they dont charge the 10 4g fee...oops, i mean smart phone fee. Compare the the phone line ups of the other carriers compared to Sprint. And you are right a contract is a contract, they can not just raise fees when they want to...

• 20. Administrative Fee Change & Contract Cancelation
    DDIRCKS23 Newbie

I was told 3 weeks ago that I could get out of my contract as of today.  However after talking to 3 different people today I was told that I can't because of the supposed $1.99 cap(which they couldn't provide proof that I actually agreed to this except to say "that is what their system tells them").  So basically sprint is breaking their own terms and conditions unless they can give me proof that i agreed to this cap.

• 21. Re: Administrative Fee Change & Contract Cancelation
    BeSkepticalOfAll Valued Member

First, the $1.99 upper bound (which is perhaps mentioned in the text when you buy a new phone) can only apply to the first month's bill.  In other words, you are being warned that your first bill will have an administrative fee that, depending on location, might be as high as $1.99.  You are then still within the 30-day return period, so you can cancel without penalty if you consider the actual fee too high.

This upper bound does not in itself permit a change to the fee later in the contract term.  Only the Terms and Conditions could possibly do so, and they don't.

Second, customers need not bring up the fee increase at all.  The Terms and Conditions changed drastically on September 9.  In particular, the new Terms and Conditions force all arbitration through JAMS, a company with a terrible reputation ranging from incompetence to arrogance to collusion.  This is most certainly a materially adverse change to the agreement, and grounds for leaving without penalty.

I must point out, though, that Sprint's drastic about-face in this matter can only be due to utter panic.  Sprint has gone to great trouble to improve its customer service rating.  This recent decision to throw it out the window and "customers be ******" can only indicate that all too many customers are getting off this sinking ship at the next port.

defenestration: the act of throwing someone or something out of a window (e.g., a customer service rating)

• 22. Administrative Fee Change & Contract Cancelation
    unhappywsprint33 Valued Member

I filed a complaint with the BBB and the FCC. Working on filing one with the AG. I wrote a post on this forum and it got rejected. Apparently they don't want you speaking the truth, if you do your post will get "banned". *For the record, it wasn't even offensive.*

I am waiting on a call from Sprint that they said they would call me within four hours on Friday night. It's Tuesday afternoon. Still waiting for that call. -_- I'm assuming they are avoiding me at all cost!

The third time I called I didn't bring up the $1.99. I just started talking about the arbritation issue. They said, do you think you'll get into a dispute. My repsonse: don't worry about that, I didn't say I was. Keep this up and I will.

I've been a customer for 10+ years, sprint has def gone downhill. And like someone in a comment before said the way things are now, sprint is no longer cheap and they know it so they're doing anything and everything to keep you. just saying!!!!

• 23. Administrative Fee Change & Contract Cancelation
    CHEVYDUDA Newbie

I called today. After 45 min they told me they are permited by law to increase the admin fee up to 1.99 without allowing people to leave without an etf. When I asked about the change in arbitration they stated that it isn't covered under the breach of contract either. Has anyone actually had success with canceling without an etf?

• 24. Re: Administrative Fee Change & Contract Cancelation
    CHEVYDUDA Newbie

I had my phone replaced last month with the insurance. When I activated the phone I click agree to the service agreement that contained that 1.99 cap on admin fees. I reviewed the service agreement and I am legitly held to the 1.99 cap but it doesn't mean you guys are. If you call make sure you ask when you agreed to the 1.99 cap. It took a long time before someone that knew what they were talking about came on the phone. It's a shame that sprint has so many miss informed employees but the last woman I spoke to was courteous and knowledgable.

• 25. Administrative Fee Change & Contract Cancelation
    paul947 Newbie

I contacted Sprint today and tried to use this change in Administrative Charge, as well as the change in the terms and conditions as a reason to terminate my contract.  Apparently the CSR's has gotten marching orders from very high up that they can not do this.  I pointed out that changes to the Administrative Charge has considered a material change in the past, but the CSR wouldn't help.

So the next logical (and easiest) step is to follow the terms and conditions and send a letter initiating the arbitration process.  I would think that if enough people bring this to arbitration, then it will jam Sprint up.  And the process seems fairly simple, just send a letter per the instructions below.  This will also provide documentation that I provided notice to Sprint within 30 days of the change that I want out of the contract. 

from the Dispute Resolution section of the terms and conditions

sprint.com/termsandconditions

"if either of us wants to initiate a calim to arbitrate a Dispute, we each agree to send written notice to the other providing a description of the dispute, a description of previous efforts to resolve the dispute, all relevant documents and supporting information, and the proposed resolution.

..... notice to us will be sent to: General Counsel; Arbitration Office; 12502 Sunrise Valley Drive, Mailstop VARESA0202-2C682; Reston, Virginia 20191.  We each agree to make attempts to resolve the dispute prior to filing a cliam for arbitration.  If we cannot resolve the dispute within 45 days of receipt of notice to arbitrate, the we each may submit the dispute for formal arbitration:

• 26. Administrative Fee Change & Contract Cancelation
    Leishy Regular Visitor

Do you think you could post the text of your letter for people to use as a template? I'm going to be trying to cancel my service in the next few days, and if I'm given the run-around I'd like to have that to refer to. I suspect many people will agree.

• 27. Re: Administrative Fee Change & Contract Cancelation

I will be contacting them tonight to try and get my contract terminated.  It seems, though, they will give me the run around.  After I have exhausted all other options, I will send a letter and provide a template also.  I also have a sprint executive's number if that option needs to be used also.  Remember people you still have time until October 8th.  The best time to terminate is at the end of your last billing cycle since they bill a month in advance.   For example, my last billing period was july 17-aug 16th (something close to that) and billing statement was august 20th.  This period depends on when you signed your contract.  So logically, since sprint doesn't pro rate, To take advantage of the full month in advance you paid for, you should try to terminate (if successful) as close to billing cycle as possible. 

• 28. Administrative Fee Change & Contract Cancelation
    rodv1966 Valued Member

"In Cunningham vs. Fleetwood Homes of Georgia, reported at page 611 of the third Federal Reporter, volume 253, the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that arbitration clauses are material terms to a contract." (Cunningham v. Fleetwood Homes of Georgia, Inc., 253 F.3d, 611 (11th Cir. 2001))

• 29. Administrative Fee Change & Contract Cancelation
    scf48 Expert

***... I didn't know they don't pro-rate the bill... I just made a payment yesterday.  Does that mean that money is lost even if I was able to avoid an ETF?  Plus, who pays for your service during the time that you're disputing the ETF?  I'm guess that takes a while.

Truth_Seeker wrote:

I will be contacting them tonight to try and get my contract terminated.  It seems, though, they will give me the run around.  After I have exhausted all other options, I will send a letter and provide a template also.  I also have a sprint executive's number if that option needs to be used also.  Remember people you still have time until October 8th.  The best time to terminate is at the end of your last billing cycle since they bill a month in advance.   For example, my last billing period was july 17-aug 16th (something close to that) and billing statement was august 20th.  This period depends on when you signed your contract.  So logically, since sprint doesn't pro rate, To take advantage of the full month in advance you paid for, you should try to terminate (if successful) as close to billing cycle as possible. 

1 2 3 4 13 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...