This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2012 3:24 PM by memo1180 RSS

The future of Nextel devices?

serbanp Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

I just read that beginning 2013 Sprint will start ramping down the Nextel network. When this happens, will the Nextel-capable devices stop working, forcing their owners to "upgrade" to whatever Sprint has in store? What exactly should one expect?

With respect to mobile phones, I'm a luddite - I only care about the phone function (good reception, decent battery life, good voice quality, ruggedness, phonebook and calendar); text/data/camera/whatever are useless to me. I still carry a trusted 7(!) years old Nokia candybar phone that, despite all the abuse, keeps going on. Now I'd like to upgrade it, but the Sprint network-capable offering in the low-end area are just flimsy, clamshell-type Kyocera's and Samsungs - they will not last a year. I noticed that Motorola has some pretty solid phones (e.g. i365) but they're on Nextel. I don't want to upgrade to Nextel if in 2 years the phone becomes unusable.

Could anyone give a bit of advice regarding this?

Thank you.

Serban

• 1. The future of Nextel devices?
    Adam_Davis Regular Visitor

As I understand from our local Sprint Retail Store, The Nextel phones will be usable for sometime after Sprint, offically stops offering those devices.  The service won't be shut off like that of a light switch. But you will still be able to use those devices as of now, not to say that things may change by 2013.

• 2. The future of Nextel devices?
    TK241 Silver Expert

Hey there.  And i have some related questions, just how are they going to transition us Nextel users over to the new CDMA-based system, and when?  Also, when will i be able to get a phone that`ll work on the new Direct Connect service, my trusty I1 is starting to get "cellullar senility ", and most likely will be replaced with one of the new offerings for PTT on CDMA (Direct Connect) soon.  I for one like the NDC service, and want to continue using it regardless of what incarnation it will take .  Thanx!  TK241 (AKA N9NRA)

• 3. Re: The future of Nextel devices?
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Hello all, TK241 (N9NRA), Sprint Network Vision is a network enhancement plan that we will be implementing over the next 3 to 5 years, in this plan we will be implementing network elements which will allow us to continue offering IDEN (Nextel), CDMA (Sprint), and WiMax (4G).

• 4. The future of Nextel devices?
    SprintChirpin Valued Member

so it sounds like what your saying is Nextel will still be around, sprint is jus combining the towers into one.

• 5. The future of Nextel devices?
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

That's the plan, although in the future you should consider upgrading to a phone that will use Sprint Direct Connect, it is an enhanced version of Direct Connect, it will have a broader coverage area with more features, if you check locations in our Coverage Maps, you will see if you are in or near Enhanced Sprint Direct Connect Coverage. If you see that all of the places you go are within Enhanced Sprint Direct Connect Coverage, then you may want to switch now, if not, then check back from time to time, as we complete upgrades to the network the coverage for Direct Connect will improve.

• 6. The future of Nextel devices?
    NandAT Regular Visitor

In other words, sprint is sugar coating its nextel subscribers and kicking them out in the dust. Its rediculous and ive been a nextel customer for years, trust and love iden but sprint had to go ahead and get rid of it. I know for a fact if iden is no longer offered, i will definitly be canceling all my lines with sprint and moving on. Only reason im here is for the reliable iden. Sprints version of the DC is not the same, they dont understand what their customers want. They took a phone and slapped a tiny DC button on it and call it better? please. DC phones are meant for DC so why would they put a tiny button for it? (admiral) Plus another important feature with iden was sim card, i could easily swap my sim between my work phone when i was at work and my personal phone at home in seconds.. now that the CDMA does not have sim feature, im out of luck there as well, gee thanks sprint, youve done it again.

• 7. The future of Nextel devices?
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

I wouldn’t say that. We still allow our customers to use the iDEN network, Nextel Direct connect is still working, and it will not be snatched up from underneath you tomorrow. Have you tried Sprint Direct Connect(keeping in mind that it’s different than Sprint’s Readylink, Nextel Direct Connect, or Direct Connect on Sprint.)? you have also read that we plan to have sprint direct connect available before the iDEN network is decommissioned.

• 8. The future of Nextel devices?
    NandAT Regular Visitor

Yes ive tried it and, as of right now it doesnt work with anything outside of the usa (even though its been stated it will eventually) and the small button on the admiral for DC is just an embarrasment. Also the fact that it does not have a sim card?? i relied on that a lot to be able to switch from work phone to personal home phone every day, now what would i be able to do? call sprint every day to have them switch back and forth? the hastle. Also you guys were the ones to be advertising "sprint with nextel direct connect, the best direct connect out there"  so why get rid of something that works and is good to replace it with a copy. For whatever reasons sprint has, everyone who has used iden knows cdma ptt will never be as good and reliable as iden ptt. I was happy to hear sprint back then was trieing the hybrid phones, i mean i even got myself the ic902 and it worked great for me, i was happy at the fact they kept iden with it, but i guess they just gave up on that idea. I have no hopes now of boost either since its owend by nextel and thus by sprint so i know there is no hopes that being on iden either, so all i can hope for is someone to take over iden in the west coast. If i was in east coast id jump to southernlinc once sprint discontinued iden. One thing i dont understand is, how is it that verizon being cdma, all their new phones have sim cards, you can take your sim and put it in another phone if you ever need without haveing to call it in all the time. I dont understand why sprint cant be doing this also. I mean if atleast they used sim cards with the new direct connect they are doing, it would be more easing and at least give people like me an option to hang in.

• 9. The future of Nextel devices?
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Thank you for responding I do want to mention that Verizon’s 3g phones do not use a SIM card, they only use SIM cards for LTE, and international GSM service. I’m sorry that you had become accustomed to swapping SIM cards so you would only have to carry one phone, many people carry 2 separate phones for 2 separate phone numbers. You may also consider checking with your employer to see if perhaps they could cover part, if not all of your personal phone’s charges if you use it for business, this could help you save money, and avoid any foreseeable hassles. unfortunately I do not see SIM cards in Direct Connect’s future. During 2012, international push-to-talk calling to select countries will also begin rolling out to help support our current customers with international push-to-talk needs. Sprint Direct Connect is expected to expand coverage to almost three times the current coverage of iDEN.

• 10. The future of Nextel devices?
    NandAT Regular Visitor

Yes your right but all their newer phones they release are all 4g or world phones which come with sim cards. As for the employer, lol i am the employer i own my own trucking business. So the cost would be on me. Ya i know select countries are converting also, but many arnt. Wether or not the coverage is more, sprint could have worked on iden also and made coverage more as well. All i know is when an emergency rolls around sprint will be down and no phone or DC will work, but if it was IDEN it was always up and running. Id rather take reliable anyday. I will just never understand, nextel was doing so good and sprint came along, bought it out, and demolished it. Well aside from all this, (no point in extending it) Ive read that iden belongs to motorola and sprint just owned rights to it or something. I also remember sprint offering it for sale at one point. Just out of curiosity is sprint still selling the rights to iden? and if so who would one need to talk to about the details and so forth?

• 11. The future of Nextel devices?
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

I’m not sure which of their phones are new, but I would say far less than half of there listed PDA phones are LTE capable (16 out of 51), and I’m under the impression that areas where Direct connect is available abroad you will see the New Sprint Direct Connect available. Do you use a separate SIM for personal so you’ll have a secondary DC Mobile Indicator? I am not aware of future plans of iDEN.

• 12. The future of Nextel devices?
    NandAT Regular Visitor

No i use one sim, for example, i will switch from a i686 i use for work because of the environment, and i switch to a i890 at home for personal use. I use the same sim just pop it in my other phone when needed. I know a great deal about iden around the world, since i know many people who work directly with companies like nextel mexico or nextel brazil, even telus mike in canada and Mirs in israel. The only one right now who has converted is nextel peru, and from what ive been told, they arnt going strict CDMA direct connect. They are going more of a hybrid 3g/direct connect method for their future phones but again this is what ive been told from the people i know. Also for nextel mexico they are working to offer the same hybrid type direct connect but so far its not in effect. Since NII holdings is primary owner of all those markets in south america, one would asume that all would convert, but thats not true. There are countries like brazil or argentina, also Mirs in israel and telus mike in canada, plus southernlinc in usa (georgia and alabama) which have told me the have no plans what so ever to discontinue iden, and they have no plans of a cdma direct connect anytime in the future. If only southernlinc would expand and offer service in east coast, id jump on it but unfortunatly they havent so its not an option. Sprint obviously deicded to phase iden out and go cdma, to use the spectrum for their lte or other needs since its iden subscriber base wasnt growing. However i never saw sprint ever do anything for iden to promote it or offer handsets like those offered in nextel mexico, argentina, brazil and everywhere else which attract their buyers like crazy. All other countires released many models of Ferrari iden handsets like i897, i877 or different color choices, or even models we never saw here like i876 or i876w (for women). We always got the most basic ones which were not attractive. So people started moving on. If sprint had taken more time in advertising nextel, and offering those "limited edition" handsets or nicer models, im almost positive their iden base would be much much larger. Atleast i know for a fact 22 members of my family would have stayed with nextel if they had better handsets like the "women editions" and ferrari phones. You know how most people are, they go for whats hot. 7 members of my family which are girls all used nextel when the i830 and i833 and roxy editions and stuff were around, but once those stopped being offered by sprint nextel, they switched carries to phones which were more girly and so forth. lol sorry about the life story but i wish sprint would actually read it and see where they went wrong with nextel. Maybe one day theyll fix it and offer their new cdma line of direct connect in more attractive models and with sim cards, least make it demable to use.

• 13. The future of Nextel devices?
    laventa29 Newbie

So the new Sprint Direct Connect will go international in 2012?  Exactly what countries?  What about us who have a Nextel and currently do business with customers in Mexico and Argentina.  90% of the communication is done on Nextel Direct Connect.  When I switch over to the new Sprint Direct Connect will be customers who have Nextel in their countries be able to push to talk with me on my new Sprint phone??

• 14. The future of Nextel devices?
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

I apologize for the mistake, I failed to notice that you’d wrote that you were using one SIM in 2 separate phones. Why can you not use the same phone at home as in your work environment? As for the coverage abroad, I am not prepared to discuss these companies plans for their networks’ futures, as I have no information pertinent to the subject beyond what you see listed on our direct connect page.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points