4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2011 9:29 PM by GsmMax RSS

Sprint iphone GSM and CDMA, or just CDMA only ?????

GsmMax Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I am att customer , out of contract  and ready to move to sprint or verizon with the new iphone 4S .

I have question here :

sprint will getIphone 4S:

GSM ( unlocked for worldwide sim card use ) and CDMA ( sprint version)  ?????

or just CDMA ?????

• 1. Re: Sprint iphone GSM and CDMA, or just CDMA only ?????
    MGman61 Expert

Seems to me an iPhone 4S will be an iPhone 4S, no matter who the carrier is. I'm guessing Sprint and Verizon may try to lock them so that you can't port them for activation between the two carriers. Then again maybe not. If you buy it from Apple, you should be able to use it on any carrier you chose. If they do lock them through software, no doubt someone will figure how to unlock them fairly easily. Anyway, here's the info. on connectivity from CNET:

Connectivity
    As widely reported, the iPhone 4S is a dual-band world phone, meaning it  supports both GSM and CDMA. This is more significant for Verizon and  Sprint customers, as it will allow them to use the iPhone even if they  travel overseas. What's yet to be determined is whether the carriers  will unlock the preloaded SIM card, so users can swap it out for a  prepaid international SIM card at their destination. We also don't know  if the CDMA models will offer simultaneous voice and data over the CDMA  network. At present, that's a significant limitation of the Verizon  iPhone 4.

Meanwhile, for GSM customers, the iPhone 4S now supports HSPA+ 14.4, so  the smartphone is capable of reaching theoretical download speeds of  14.4Mbps down, 5.8Mbps up. It's certainly an improvement over the  current model, but disappointing that there's no compatibility with the  faster HSPA+ 21Mbps networks.

Of course, the lack of "real" 4G support for LTE on Verizon or WiMax on  Sprint is troubling. Apple has its reasons, no doubt. Battery life  remains an issue for high-speed phones and Apple must have decided that,  at this point, it couldn't offer its optimal customer experience on a  4G handset (remember that customer experience is really what Apple is  all about). Secondly, Apple never jumps on a technology that is still  growing, and it must think that 4G doesn't cover enough people quite  yet.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20115364-233/iphone-4s-first-take/#ixzz1ZsXa3BM4

-----

After re-reading this, the pre-loaded SIM card will be how Verizon and Sprint lock the phone to be used on the specific carrier service. Switch out SIM cards and you can change carriers.

Message was edited by: MGman61

• 2. Re: Sprint iphone GSM and CDMA, or just CDMA only ?????
    climbinbrandon1 Newbie

This is good to know.  I'm thinking about getting my wife the iPhone 4S, and with a possible move to Germany in our future, sim card swapping is a major selling point for me.  Thanks for the info.

• 3. Re: Sprint iphone GSM and CDMA, or just CDMA only ?????
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

Switching out the sims may allow international use, but getting a Verizon iPhone to activate on Sprint will not work by any means.  It's the same reason the current Verizon or CDMA phones cannot be activated on Sprint's post-paid CDMA.  We have a very specific MEID data base and if it's not loaded, it WILL NOT ACTIVATE.  Even Boost Mobile CDMA phones will not activate on the post-paid CDMA Sprint network. 

Tom

• 4. Re: Sprint iphone GSM and CDMA, or just CDMA only ?????
    GsmMax Newbie

Switching out the sims may allow international use, but getting a Verizon iPhone to activate on Sprint will not work by any means.  It's the same reason the current Verizon or CDMA phones cannot be activated on Sprint's post-paid CDMA.  We have a very specific MEID data base and if it's not loaded, it WILL NOT ACTIVATE.  Even Boost Mobile CDMA phones will not activate on the post-paid CDMA Sprint network.

Tom#

please before answering my question make sure that you read it the correct way.

<<<I am att customer , out of contract  and ready to move to sprint or verizon>>>

I did not say that i am planing to bring my verzion iphone to activatet with sprint .

i said i am att customer,  that its mean still att customer but out of any contract or agreement, and planing to switch to verizon or sprint. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points