10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2011 2:49 AM by ELValloq RSS

iPhone 4S - How to activate when porting numbers?

ELValloq Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Brand new Sprint customer here coming over from T-mobile with a family plan (porting all four lines). I'm expecting to receive the four iPhones in the mail tomorrow, and wanted to know what the activation process is like? I already went to sprint.com/activate to look it over, but unfortunately it looks like that's for upgrading current Sprint owners.

Will I be calling into Sprint for each phone to activate them? I logged into Sprint with my account as well, and right now it has 0 devices and is erroring out.

• 1. iPhone 4S - How to activate when porting numbers?
    ppowis Regular Visitor

same thing here...but i did call sprint a couple days ago and was told that coming from tmobile i was scheduled to be ported automatically on the 31st but could call in any time after receiving the phone to do it sooner and activate...

• 2. iPhone 4S - How to activate when porting numbers?
    wingland Sprint Admin

Your iPhone will be shipped with a temporary number.

During the checkout process, we gather information in order to complete the transfer. Once your information is provided, we submit the transfer request to  your old provider for validation. When successful, a time is set for the  transfer of your number. If unsuccessful, a Sprint representative will  contact you to collect the incomplete information and resubmit for  validation. Typical transfers from wireless carriers to Sprint will be  completed in 2 to 5 days. Landline transfers usually complete in 5 to 7  days.

Please be aware that delivery times may be delayed due to  circumstances such as credit authorization, backordered equipment,  incomplete payment, insufficient and/or inaccurate information provided  when placing the order. You will be contacted by phone or email should  such a condition come up while processing your order.

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Bring_your_existing_number_to_Sprint/case-wh164052-20100420-140547

• 3. iPhone 4S - How to activate when porting numbers?
    RobBass123 Regular Visitor

I think it is much faster than that, when I went from T-Mobile to Verizon was a couple hours not days...or are you including the total time in which case the 2-5 days includes order, shipping etc, but when you activate the phone in a couples hours your number will be ported if not faster. FCC site:

How long will the porting process take?

• For a wireless-to-wireless transfer, the porting process should take approximately two and a half hours from the time the porting request is made of the old carrier. The FCC has not mandated a specific time frame for the wireless-to-wireless porting process. Two and a half hours is the time frame agreed upon by the wireless industry, and the FCC encourages carriers to use that time frame.
    • A wireline-to-wireless port will probably take longer to complete, and could take several days. Before porting between wireline and wireless phones, consumers should ask their new service provider how long the process will take.
  • 4. iPhone 4S - How to activate when porting numbers?
    3020fjr2 Bronze Expert

I think the porting of number work like changing the DNS setting of a domain where it can take up to 2 to 3 to change in all the systems but in most cases it happens with in hours. Can this be a correct way of describing system wingland?

• 5. iPhone 4S - How to activate when porting numbers?
    wingland Sprint Admin

In practice now days it does just take a couple hours.  But if something goes wrong and it has to be manually processed, it can take the full listed time. 

• 6. iPhone 4S - How to activate when porting numbers?
    ELValloq Newbie

So, sounds like I'll be calling in to activate the phones then? I'm assuming the scheduled transfer wasn't set to today or else that'd be a bit odd if my phones didn't arrive on time.

• 7. iPhone 4S - How to activate when porting numbers?

I hope Sprint is no different but I have gone from ATT/Cingular/Verizon/TMobile/vice versa and activation was done via the phone, and was always pretty smooth...

• 8. iPhone 4S - How to activate when porting numbers?

The packing slip said if porting a number you have to call so I am on hold now...

• 9. iPhone 4S - How to activate when porting numbers?
    VioletM3 Newbie

I'm activated my iPhone today around 1700 and as of now, 2330, my port from TMobile still has not gone through.  I was told on the phone it was scheduled for Nov 1st, then when the rep was trying to move that up, I got disconnected.  When I called back, the status had been updated to "In progress" which I was told could be several hours to several days.  Here's to hoping it's sooner rather than later.

• 10. iPhone 4S - How to activate when porting numbers?
    ELValloq Newbie

Violet, I was put on hold with the porting department for a good half hour before I got through. Daphne answered and asked for my phone numbers, and then said she would have them activated in six minutes. True to her word, I checked 10 minutes later and the phones were all activated.

I asked her for a callback number in case it didn't go through, and she provided me with this number: 1 877 503 3269

I would suggest giving that number a call, and best of luck. I'm super happy to finally be able to play with my iPhone =)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points