10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2011 9:55 PM by MichDrummer RSS

iPhone 4S - What do you recommend to have/do on it?!

Joker-Bitez Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

Now that we are all enjoying our iPhone 4S's, what have you found to do or setup and highly recommend for others?

I have not owned an iPhone since the 3G, so its been a few years. The only things I know of are:

Facebook App

Words with Friends App

Shazam App

I setup iCloud

Synced & Registed the Phone on iTunes

Anything else we should do?

• 1. iPhone 4S - What do you recommend to have/do on it?!

Anyone care to discuss?

• 2. iPhone 4S - What do you recommend to have/do on it?!
    ALynch40 Expert

All the apps are basically the same from Android to Apple so really thats a non factor. The main factors to consider is customization and ease of use.

With Android you can complete customize the UI with widgets and such and it can also be hooked to any PC at will. With Apple you are limited to page after page of icons and are forced to use iTunes with connected to a PC.

Personally I like the freedom to use my phone how I want to without being limited by the manufacturer. I root all my phones to give even more options. As for speed currently Apple runs a 1ghz dual core CPU while some Androids run 1.2-1.5ghz dual cores.

In the end 80%+ of the iPhone is made by Samsung so really you could get the EPIC 4G Touch with the larger screen and faster CPU and customize it to look like a iPhone and be ahead of the game.

In the end it all boils down to function and choice.

• 3. iPhone 4S - What do you recommend to have/do on it?!
    kevinjm_ Regular Visitor

Recommend downloading the Pandora app. Also go to youtube.com and save the Web App to your homepage. That web app should replace the stock youtube app since the web app allows you to watch higher quality videos over 3G, unlike the stock app. Can't really think of anything else, but I'm sure you'll find something hidden.

• 4. Re: iPhone 4S - What do you recommend to have/do on it?!
    ALynch40 Expert

Apple products don't support Flash so the user can't use the browser aspect for Youtube. It's the basic app or nothing.

kevinjm_ wrote:

Recommend downloading the Pandora app. Also go to youtube.com and save the Web App to your homepage. That web app should replace the stock youtube app since the web app allows you to watch higher quality videos over 3G, unlike the stock app. Can't really think of anything else, but I'm sure you'll find something hidden.

• 5. iPhone 4S - What do you recommend to have/do on it?!

Lynch: Thanks, but I am not looking for a review against iPhone. I love apple and I have a Mac, so hooking up to the computer is easier with the iPhone. Also, having all those widgets is a major battery killer and I never used them much.

Thank you for reminding me about Pandora and for the youtube information. I never use it much, but when I do, I would like to have the better one. I will toss the automatic one away.

Anyone else?

• 6. iPhone 4S - What do you recommend to have/do on it?!
    kevinjm_ Regular Visitor

Don't understand what the deal with you is. Queuring the youtube.com page pulls up the mobile version which generally asks you to save that app to your homepage. No flash required. It's a great replacement to the stock app if all you ever do is watch videos but never upload or anything like that.

ALynch40 wrote:

Apple products don't support Flash so the user can't use the browser aspect for Youtube. It's the basic app or nothing.

kevinjm_ wrote:

• 7. iPhone 4S - What do you recommend to have/do on it?!

By the way Lynch, I just went to YouTube on the internet and it works without a problem

• 8. Re: iPhone 4S - What do you recommend to have/do on it?!
    bbucy Regular Visitor

If you have AppleTV or PC/Mac based ITunes Library make sure you play with AirPlay functionality (e.g. mirror you IPhone display on AppleTV, stream movies, stream music, pitcures, etc) and get the Apple Remote.  I have been playing with this a-bit and it is going to be perfect for trailer camping, load my IPhone with movies (e.g. got the 32G model), bring along the little AppleTV device which connects to the TV and we have a very compact portable movie server.  Going to Test it out in Galveston in two weeks (e.g. camping on the beach).  EDIT: Actually after thinking about this some more, AppleTV setup will work where Wi-Fi router is available, but in the boon-docks I won't need the AppleTV; just will need this adapter that connects IPhone 4S directly to TV via HDMI.  Best thing about IPhone is all the accessories!!!!

• Apple Remote - works with PC/MAC based ITunes Library and AppleTV.

Misc Apps..

• NetFlix Mobile (e.g. if you subscribe to Netflix)
    • ATT U-Verse Mobile (e.g. if you have U-Verse)
    • ITunes Movie Trailers - See what is on at the Theaters, showtimes, etc.
    • MotionX GPS - Great for tracking walks, mark points of interest, tag photes, track short trips (e.g. Motorcycle day trips), interacts with facebook, etc.  Not free ($2.99), but best lightweight GPS App I've used.
  • 9. iPhone 4S - What do you recommend to have/do on it?!
    Medic_Coop Regular Visitor

Yes, Lynch, stay out of this forum if you are here to do nothing but show your ignorance. 

• 10. Re: iPhone 4S - What do you recommend to have/do on it?!
    MichDrummer Regular Visitor

Hmmm, well I installed the NetFlix app and was watching Rocky & Bullwinkle at the dining table this morning during breakfast.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...