This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2011 9:46 AM by OKIESTRO RSS

MMS Messages Disabled by Sprint?

AkinoReiki Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I am starting to get very annoyed with Sprint right now.  I have been trying to send and receive MMS messages (Picture Mail) forever now.  I have received ONE picture, and I have never been able to send any.  I called Sprint Technical Support, only to have one woman mess up my phone service, and I had to talk to another Tech Support worker to reset my phone to factory default, all of which took hours of my time.  I still cannot send MMS messages, and now, when I try to receive a picture sent to me, I click "Download" from the two choices of that or "Reject" and I get a message saying this:

"Data Disabled.  MMS messages can not be sent or received until your data access is re-enabled. Please check your data delivery settings to enable data connectivity."

I have called Sprint many times, and the only things they have done is "refresh" my phone, turning it on and off, taking the battery out, updating the PRL, updating the Profile, updating the phone, switching network settings from CDMA, Automatic, Sprint Only, etc-- and enabling and disabling WiFi among other settings. I have done all of these things NUMEROUS times, and none of them have corrected this issue.  I have checked ALL of my settings on my phone for data delivery and roaming settings-- which ALL allow data to be received and sent. I also have Unlimited Data and Messaging.

Now, I have come to the conclusion after reading an article on consumerist.com (http://consumerist.com/2008/02/why-is-sprint-blocking-mms-picture-messages-on-high-end-phones.html) that Sprint is denying customers MMS capabilities. My phone is a Motorola Photon running Android 2.3.4, and IS fully capable of sending and receiving MMS/Picture Mail. It worked ONE time when I received a photo from someone. Am I to believe Sprint can deny customers under a contract that says they DO have Unlimited Data and Messaging, the services they are paying for? Something needs to be done about this. If there is not a solution for this "Issue," then I find it a breach of contract for Sprint to charge for a service that their paying customers are being denied.

So I ask now, is there a solution for the MMS "issue" or is there not? And another thing, why should customers who do not have unlimited data or messaging have to connect to "Sprint Picture Mail" and be charged for data access when MANY, and MOST phones on the Sprint Network FULLY SUPPORT MMS messaging among other things?

Please, let me know what is going on with this...

• 1. MMS Messages Disabled by Sprint?
    sc1scotty Newbie

I have a EVO 3D and the same issue. I know the phone is capable, but the Sprint site claims the device is not capable of sending/receive MMS messages. It's clear this is a Sprint limitation, but why?

Unsatisfactory.

• 2. MMS Messages Disabled by Sprint?
    Sprint Employee

There are numerous steps to troubleshoot "unable to receive mms messages".  Bottom line is that I have never unable to get a device that has data access to receive MMS messages. It sounds like in both of your cases there is something in the provisioning that is causing an error and will not authenticate the processing of the message.

Will your device access Navigation and Sprint TV? There are three services on your phone that use a 5 step authentication - MMS, Sprint TV and Navigation.

Do you receive errors when you try to send a picture to yourself? If so what is the error?

These are a few of the beginning questions in trying to solve why it is not working. If you call in from another device tech support can go through all the steps - If all else fails there is a ticket (backend) process that will fix the issue. It takes patience on your part and the rep has to go through all the steps. I have had to use the ticket once but usually one of the other methods will fix the issue. It is one of the most complicated tasks your phone does = there are size limitations - character limitations and several authentication levels.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

• 3. MMS Messages Disabled by Sprint?
    AkinoReiki Newbie

Larry,

When I attempt to send a picture to someone, including myself, I get the message:

"Data Disabled.  MMS messages can not be sent or received until your data access is re-enabled. Please check your data delivery settings to enable data connectivity."

I am able to connect to Sprint TV, and Navigation, though I do not use Navigation at all, and I rarely use Sprint TV. I have called NUMEROUS times about this issue, and none of them have solved the problem, as I said in the first post, they tried numerous things and it was repetitive, including doing a hard-reset of my phone which took hours... If this is something that can be fixed over the phone without having to go through a bunch of **** AGAIN, then let me know what I have to do... Also-- I have had a message saying that a picture is too large, but the phone said the picture was resized and then converted to an MMS message, after that, when I try to send, it gives me that error about "Data Disabled" even though I have unlimited data and messaging, and all of the services are checked to receive data and calls on my phone.

Hopefully there is a solution... Thanks for the reply.

• 4. Re: MMS Messages Disabled by Sprint?
    raylitherland67 Sprint Employee

I am so sorry you have been having problems with your MMS. I would gladly look into this and see if I can resolve your issue. Would you please private message me and I will get with you to gather more information from you.

Thanks,

Ray

• 5. MMS Messages Disabled by Sprint?
    Iolair Newbie

Just this week I have started having an issue with my MMS messages. All of a sudden I am not receiving ANY of them. This is a very big problem, as I am an on-call tech 1 week a month, and our platform using my MMS address to send me direct alerts when there is an issue.

In a test I just performed, I did not receive an error when sending a picture message. However it has not been received by the destination (an email address) in 5 minutes of waiting. I know emails can take longer, but the image was a simple wallpaper, not anything large. If this issue cannot be resolved quickly I feel I will be forced to assume Sprint cannot uphold their end of the contract and go back to Verizon. Which would be very dissapointing, I changed over specifically for the Galaxy S2.

• 6. MMS Messages Disabled by Sprint?
    weasel0x00 Newbie

I have starting having problems this week as well... MMS from phone-to-phone seem to be working, but I have a few systems that send me MMS via email, we use it as a paging/dispatch notification for search and rescue here in Colorado, and they stopped working recently.  Also if I send emails to <number>@pm.sprint.com it never comes through... FWIW, <number>@messaging.sprint.com (SMS) never seems to make it through either.

• 7. MMS Messages Disabled by Sprint?
    Sprint Employee

Also if I send emails to <number>@pm.sprint.com it never comes through... FWIW, <number>@messaging.sprint.com (SMS) never seems to make it through either.

The correct text format is <number>@messaging.sprintpcs.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...