This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2007 5:30 PM by Browzing1 RSS

Merlin EX720 freezes up

Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone else having trouble with a Merlin EX720 freezing up? When I open my laptop and click on theSprint Mobile Broadbandconnection manager it says to insert my device (already inserted). After removing and reinserting it several times, it still isn't recognized.When this happensthe Sprintconnection manager won't close down either and my computer freezes up. I have tried Windows Task Manager to end task or torestart my computer when this happens but this doesn't work and I have to manually push my on/off button to get my computer to reboot. Sprint Broadband phone support tells me to remove the broadband card and reboot, then reinsert card. This is getting old. Noother connections are present or are disabled. When I'm connected everything works ok.

• 1. Re: Merlin EX720 freezes up
    Regular Visitor

Need a little more information to work with.
    What version of Connection Manager are you using? (V3.09.013, V3.08.029 etc. ?)
    What operating system are you using? (Vista, XP, 98, 2000,OSX, Linux, etc. ?)

• 2. Re: Merlin EX720 freezes up
    Regular Visitor

Thank you for trying to help me, I'm almost ready to return the card and cancel my service.
    I have XP media edition and Novatel Wireless Connection Manager ver. 3.10.011
    Hopeful for a moment,
    Loretta

• 3. Re: Merlin EX720 freezes up
    Regular Visitor

From all the reports over on the EVDO.com forums, Connection Manager ver. 3.10.011 is your problem. It just isn't working properly with the ex720, S620, S720series cards.Go back toCMver. 3.08.029 it will solve your problem.
    If you have problems deleting the current CM from your computer, down load CCleaner (it's free) and it will clean it off for you. Once you have cm 3.10.011 removed replace it with cm ver.3.08.029 and make sure you update your PRL after replacing the connection manager.
    Try it you will be very happy with the results. Sprint is supposed to release a new CM any time according to there reports, don't be in a hurry to upgrade to it until it gets tested by afew dozen people for bugs.
    Also you should be able toget CM ver 3.08.029 off Sprint web site, if not let me know andI will be happy to send it to you.

Edited to fix spelling, need to learn to use a spell checker
    Message Edited by Browzing1 on 10-24-2007 06:52 PM

Message Edited by Browzing1 on 10-24-2007 06:55 PM

• 4. Re: Merlin EX720 freezes up
    Regular Visitor

Browzing1 wrote:
    From all the reports over on the EVDO.com forums, Connection Manager ver. 3.10.011 is your problem. It just isn't
    working properly with the ex720, S620, S720series cards.Go back toCMver. 3.08.029 it will solve your problem.
    If you have problems deleting the current CM from your computer, down load CCleaner (it's free) and it will clean it off for you. Once you have cm 3.10.011 removed replace it with cm ver.3.08.029 and make sure you update your PRL after replacing the connection manager.
    Try it you will be very happy with the results. Sprint is supposed to release a new CM any time according to there reports, don't be in a hurry to upgrade to it until it gets tested by afew dozen people for bugs.
    Also you should be able toget CM ver 3.08.029 off Sprint web site, if not let me know andI will be happy to send it to you.

Edited to fix spelling, need to learn to use a spell checker
    Message Edited by Browzing1 on 10-24-2007 06:52 PM

Message Edited by Browzing1 on 10-24-2007 06:55 PM

Do I go to Add/Remove programs to remove my CM?
    Once it's removed I can't go on line, can I? Where do I go to get the older version CM?
    Do you have a web address for the CCleaner also? Is that a large download? Will it do the entire removal or should I only use it after I try to remove it first?
    What's a PRL?
    Will my Merlin retain all the features that it has now?
    Wow....thank you SO much for the help, this should eliminate a lot of frustration for me.
    Regards,
    Loretta

• 5. Re: Merlin EX720 freezes up
    Regular Visitor

IF your not sure or comfortable performing this task your self then I would advise having some one that is computer software knowledgeable perform it for you. It's not hard or complicated "BUT" if you not comfortable then seek local help.
    A quick question, is this the connection manager that came with your ex720 or did you do a update? automatic update? If you have this connection manager because of a update then the simple solution is to delete the entire install and just reinstall from the CD that came with your Air-Card. The instructions for doing the install can be found here. http://support.sprint.com/doc/sp9883.xml?selectedDeviceId=7316&related=y&Referring%20Related%20DocID%20List%20Index=3&navtypeid=6&pagetypeid=7&prevPageIndex=4
    Once it's removed I can't go on line, can I? No you won't have a internet connection until you do the reinstall of the connection manager. Make sure you have every thing ready to re-install before deleting.Where do I go to get the older version CM? Sprints download web site, not sure of the correct link for the web page
    Do you have a web address for the CCleaner also?http://www.ccleaner.com/ Is that a large download? NO Will it do the entire removal or should I only use it after I try to remove it first? The choice is yours on how you want to do the uninstall, personally I go into program files and start there and then let CCleaner take care of the registry.
    What's a PRL? Prefered roaming list, this will be on sprints download page as well.
    Will my Merlin retain all the features that it has now? I think there is only a couple of minor feature changes, color of connection manager and the ability to turn off the annoying green light are the only two that come to mind that you will lose.

• 6. Re: Merlin EX720 freezes up
    Regular Visitor

Quote:
    "is this the connection manager that came with your ex720 or did you do a update? automatic update? If you have this connection manager because of a update then the simple solution is to delete the entire install and just reinstall from the CD that came with your Air-Card"
    I believe the connection manager that came with my ex720 automatically updated after installing but I'm not absolutely certain because it also either updated or searched for a new driver too.Icould have checked for updates myselfafter I installed though. If it updates automatically, I guess I can uninstall and try another method of install. I will try to explore the CD for CM versions before attempting anything.
    I'm still trying to locate sprints download page, I have trouble navigating sprint site for some reason(and logging on, passwords-a-plenty). I will be doing the uninstall and install myself once I figure out everything (understand PRL)and check for uninstall instructions that may be included with my software already.
    I called the phone support for Sprint Mobile Broadband(a few times) and I found them to be very lacking and I'm grateful that I didn't follow the advice that I received one day. When I questioned their instructions for deleting (instead of disabling) all connections that mycomputer has in it, the tech got very upset, told me that I was in contact with upper level support techs and that I have to trust what they tell me or I shouldn't call them. I then spoke to a supervisor who agreed that the instructions given to me were not accurate. I should have gotten the support from them that I'm now getting here.
    Your help has beengreat and I'm grateful that you have taken the time to assist me. I willwork onit some more later on today when I have more time and I will let you know how it goes.
    Loretta

• 7. Re: Merlin EX720 freezes up
    Regular Visitor

Ok now that you have provided a little more information I can give a little better advise.
    It sounds like you had auto update checked and it auto updated.
    This is what I would personally do in your situation.
    Delete the entire installation, even have CCleaner clean up the registry, then do a complete new install off the CD.
    Do not allow auto updates. If you decide to do a update do it manually. Save a copy ofyour currently used CM at the time in your documents file so that if you do a update you will have it to revert back to if needed.
    Hope this helps.

• 8. Re: Merlin EX720 freezes up
    Regular Visitor

Forgot to mention be sure and update your PRL
    Here is the link to the Sprint sofwaredownload page
    Here is a link to web site to check on and down load latest PRL
    http://corolada.com/prl/ latest PRL is 60610
    The PRL should auto update, but Sprint can be slow in getting around to it. Due to this I manually update the PRL.

• 9. Re: Merlin EX720 freezes up
    Regular Visitor

Browzing1 wrote:
    Forgot to mention be sure and update your PRL
    Here is the link to the Sprint sofwaredownload page
    Here is a link to web site to check on and down load latest PRL
    http://corolada.com/prl/ latest PRL is 60610
    The PRL should auto update, but Sprint can be slow in getting around to it. Due to this I manually update the PRL.

Thank you for the web addresses!
    The Sprint software download page only listed the latest CM version, the one that I currently have (unless I'm overlooking it).
    Should I download and save the PRL 60610 before starting my uninstall process? Can I assume that this isn't included on my CM disk? If the current PRL is included on the new installation how will I know? Will it hurt to "dirty" install it again?
    Thanks again,
    Loretta

• 10. Re: Merlin EX720 freezes up
    Regular Visitor

First delete the entire install, then reinstall from the CD, once you have every thing operating properly, then you canupdate the PRL. The PRL will not have any effect on the normal operation of the card.Normally the PRL will auto update, but like I already said I prefer to manually update the PRL myself.
    DO NOT allow the card to do a automatic update of the CM(connection manager). Never update a CM untill you find out what problems it is causing everyone else that has installed it. (There have been reports of a couple of CM updates in the past that have tanked people's cards. Not the ex720 series thankfully.)

• 11. Re: Merlin EX720 freezes up
    Regular Visitor

Well I did it and everything seems to be working ok so far. My Connection Manager version off the CD is now 3.08.013(not 3.08.029). Hopefully this will solve my laptop freezing-up problems. The sprint download page did not have any earlier versions listed. I'm going to try it for a few daysto see how it goes, I'm up and running, so that's good.
    Thank you soooo much for your help and patience. If things don't work out I will come back and post again.
    With high regards,
    Loretta

• 12. Re: Merlin EX720 freezes up
    Regular Visitor

missretta wrote:
    Well I did it and everything seems to be working ok so far. My Connection Manager version off the CD is now 3.08.013(not 3.08.029).

Are you sure that it isn't ver. 3.09.013 ? This would be the version between 3.08.029 and ver. 3.10.011.
    As long as you don't have any problems go ahead and use it.

• 13. Re: Merlin EX720 freezes up
    Regular Visitor

Nope....it's 3.08.013.

• 14. Re: Merlin EX720 freezes up
    Regular Visitor

The 3.08.013 ver. is weird, but I checked several times and that's what it is.
    I downloaded the latestPRL but thats all I could do. I couldn't "run" or "install" it. When I click on the file it tells me that I have no program to open it with. How do I use this download? Is there a place where I could check the PRL that I have running now?

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...