This discussion is locked
1 24 25 26 27 28 189 Previous Next 2,820 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2013 3:50 PM by MALANIS21 Go to original post RSS
  • 375. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    md_mike Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

I got 850 Kbps at a friend's house in Sykesville, MD. I still can't get anything in my service area from Baltimore to Columbia in MD. Google traffic won't load on top of the cached maps (from wifi).

• 376. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    3020fjr2 Bronze Expert

Fipronil wrote:

After 376 posts, the official response from Sprint is that there is no response. Pathetic. It's funny how in every thread someone from Sprint chimes in but not here. Wooow - Sprint did you really earn that JD award? All we here from are Sprint apologists but no Sprint reps. Not suprising as you can't get a straight answer from any Sprint customer service rep never mind having them agree that their network is just plain slow!

Sprint did respond in a press release. Sorry for reposting it again for those that are following this thread.

"As always, Sprint is carefully monitoring the performance of the 3G network. We are looking into a small number of reports of slow data speeds when using the iPhone 4S, however there are also reports showing that Sprint’s network is the fastest, such as the Gizmodo report that came out earlier today. Speed tests represent a moment in time and are subject to many variables including weather, time of day, device, and proximity to a tower. Sprint will continue to monitor the feedback we are getting from our customers and will investigate and resolve any issues that may arise," the company said in a statement.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394831,00.asp#fbid=LS2LFzBeHaR

• 377. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    FirstContact Expert

People Really... What do you expect first level customer service reps are going to do.. SURE they are customer service reps, they are the first people to interact with you but what do you expect them to REALLY DO.

What is the Function of First tier CS Reps.. Account info, accept payments, troubleshoot your phone.. WHAT?  When you go to or call walmarts customer service, are you expecting them to tell you how to get a clear picture on that brand new 52in screen tv you brought.

Where you expecting Sprint 1st Teir CS Rep to fix your phones wi fi connection?

When you call SPRINT, do you even try to get Tech Support or go off on the first HUMAN VOICE you encounter. Come on.. Sprint 1st Level CS Reps have no power to do anytihng to the Network, except transfer you to Tech Support. Tech Support are not CS Reps,  Do you ask for Tech Support to find out how much is your Next Bill? Do you ask for the Sales Dept if you want to Log into your Sprint Acct.

Do you ask the Cashier in your favorite Resturant to Cook your Meal..?

Yall need to get a Grip.

• 378. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    highberry Newbie

11+ year sprint customer here.

we are in Champaign, IL. we got 3 iphones last friday. never got better than .05 download / .02 upload on several tests between friday afternoon and monday afternoon. some tests returned much lower results. at no time did we get data speeds fast enough for Siri to work. apps would take forever to load screens. even loading google would take 20-30 seconds. of course, everything worked fine on wifi. but i travel nationwide a lot for work and my wife is travels around locally all day for her job. we tried the phones in various spots around town. no improvements. and mostly not able to connect to 3G at all. so the sprint data speeds won't work for us. voice coverage seemed to be ok.

my father-in-law has the other phone on our family plan. he's in hoffman estates (NW suburb of Chicago). his data speed was too slow to be usable there too. he still had his old iphone 3 on AT&T and it was working fine. he couldn't even send email on the sprint iphone.

i called Sprint and talked to a nice CSR names Alexis in Charlotte NC. She didn't sound surprised about the slow data speed and did not try any trouble shooting or tech support type stuff they usually do before admiting the trouble is on their end. she said they were experiencing a "nationwide data outage event." i asked if she knew when it might be resolved and she didn't know.

I didn't want to get stuck with these sprint iphones past the 14 day return window if there's no clear idea when the data speeds would be acceptable. so i arranged to return the phones and cancel the new service agreement. we had our old blackberries reactivated (of course, the data speed has slowed to a crawl on those now too... can't do anything that requires data connection) and got back on our old service plan off contract.

we plan to get verizon iphones next week. I hope those work out better for us.

good luck to everyone.

• 379. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    Fipronil Regular Visitor

3020fjr are you kidding me? Sprint should be posting an official response here on their website not anywhere else. When they change their policies and eliminate programs - do they post that on PCMag first?

• 380. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    Valued Member

scf48 wrote:

been.jammin1 wrote:

Just the iphone. Do yourselves a favor and return that hunk o junk and get a better phone. This is only the begining. If speed is what you wanted, you should have bought a 4G device. Just because it says apple on it doesnt make it better. Hurry your 14 days are running out. Hmmm I wonder why they changed it from 30 days to 14 days?

You hate the iphone, but you specifically came into the iphone section of the forum.  And for what?  Troll.

I know the truth hurts, but really name calling? Tisk Tisk.

The title of this thread says it all and it's been repeated 382 times, the iphone is too slow to be useful. And you say I'm the one bashing the iphone. No, I'm the one being honest. I only came to support the OP in   stating that the iphone is useless, not trolling. What good is a smartphone if the data service barely works? Take your phone back before the 14 days are up. Please, do us all a favor. If you want fast useable data, then get a  4G phone, use WiFi, or stfu.

The  whining never ends with you iphone people. First you whined because you  wanted an iphone on Sprint. Then you whined because Sprint wouldn't  give you an early upgrade. Despite the fact that it's already outdated,  you still rushed out and bought one. Now you're all crying because the data is too slow.

This is what you get with 4G:

http://www.speedtest.net/android/94215770.png

• 381. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    cgrebos Newbie

I woke up at 3 A.M. to preorder our 2 iPhones. I even took the 14th off to wait for the UPS man.  Today I returned both of them because of the slow 3G speeds. Sitting outside in downtown Orlando, I was lucky to get dl speeds above 0.16 Mbps. It was terribly frustrating.

Hopefully the returns will send a loud and clear message that there is, in fact, a problem.

I would have been willing to wait out a return until the last minute on 28th if someone from Sprint would have acknowledged the issue.

I could jump straight to AT&T for their data speed, but I'd be happy to stay at Sprint for unlimited data if they can get their 3G speeds to the  600kbps to 1.5Mbps download averages they site in their own materials.

Now I'm back to my old Palm Pre (WebOS really could have been great if it wasn't abused and stuffed into **** hardware). 

It's going to be a pain to score 2 more 4S's for the next few weeks, so I'll give Sprint that time to change their tune to something more along the lines of "We know it's slow and we're working to fix it" before I visit the AT&T store. 

• 382. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    3020fjr2 Bronze Expert

Fipronil wrote:

3020fjr are you kidding me? Sprint should be posting an official response here on their website not anywhere else. When they change their policies and eliminate programs - do they post that on PCMag first?

The problem does not affect the majority of costumer only a tiny percent of costumers and Sprint might thing the press might be exaggerating the news (not all tech blog have reported the news nor does the problem seam to be that big as it happen with att which did make into Nation News Network when they had overloaded network). Also since people like to compare so much Verizon on Sunday has a national 4g outage with some costumer around the U.S. also not having 3g data ether. As of today Verizon Wireless has not release any statement (not even to the press) and this is the third national outage that has lasted hours in one year period. Going back to my point Sprint has 52 million costumer sow far we have 382 replies(many people have double posted and other have gotten out of topic) get the picture there. Plus if your are having network problem (like slow data) you should be posting them in the Network section of the community with zip code of were the problem is occurring.

• 383. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    DinLA8 Newbie

Update:  In Los Angeles, just got consistent speeds over three readings.

Ping:  83 ms

DL:  1.23 Mbps

UP:  0.84 Mbps

and

Ping:  88 ms

DL:  1.48 Mbps

UL:  0.87 Mbps

and

Ping:  87 ms

DL:  1.01 Mbps

UL:  0.73 Mbps

• 384. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    FirstContact Expert

@cgrebos. you did the right thing.. Sprint is using Clearview Network which is Outdated and they are Sprints biggest customer... Hence the reason Sprint is building their own LTE network..

Its just not in the cards for Sprint to stay with Clearview and use OUTDATED stuff. Hence the LTE network.  AT&T and Verizon Use the same type of tech for their Network. is why they have the SPEED.. but AT&T drops calls a lot i hear.

Usually new toys always have bugs in them weather its the phone, like the antenna problem with the IP4 last year when it rolled out. To the IP4s on SPRINT is their Iphone problem on 3g.

You made the right move

• 385. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    highberry Newbie

yes, iphones are useless for a lot of people... ON SPRINT. people at my job have iphones on ATT and Verizon that are working fine. Also... now that we are back on our previous blackberries... they are useless because the Sprint data speeds have tanked in our area. It's not an iphone issue, it's a sprint data speed issue. at least where we live. if there was a 4G phone that was seemless with our apple ecosystem (work and home computers, laptops, massive itunes music and movie library, apple tv, etc) then i'd be looking at that. i don't care about about having the fastest available data speed on my phone. i have fast internet at home and work for that. i want an iphone because it works well with all the stuff i already have. and i want it to work like it should. Sprint is unable to deliver this experience for me at this time. So we are going back to our old phones for now and looking elsewhere for iphones.

• 386. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    annie8293 Newbie

Count me in as another frustrated owner of an iPhone 4S with Sprint, actually 3 of them, as my whole family just got the iPhones. I've checked the 3G speeds many times since Friday, and the highest I've ever obtained is .15 mbps/download and .02 mbps/upload. I LOVE the iPhone, but am seriously considering returning and switching to AT&T due to the data speeds I've been experiencing with Sprint.

To make matters worse, Sprint seems unwilling to even acknowledge that there is a problem with the 3G speeds, on both the iPhones and the Androds!!! It seems that they are sinking all available funds into building an LTE network, in hopes of the future, but are failing to recognize that if all the users who are currently unable to use their phones due to the slow speeds leave Sprint, there is NO NEED for there to be a Sprint LTE network in the future!!!

• 387. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    DinLA8 Newbie

Whoa, got gasp...3G speed

Ping:  86 ms

DL:  1.94 Mbs

UL:  0.89 Mbps

I guess everyone got home from work and off the network.

• 388. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    DinLA8 Newbie

My wife's 4S

Ping:  119 ms

DL:  1.62 Mbps

UL:  0.86 Mbps

We're in Los Angeles.  Useage must be slowing down since we're (finally) getting decent speed.

• 389. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    Valued Member

FirstContact wrote:

@cgrebos. you did the right thing.. Sprint is using Clearview Network which is Outdated and they are Sprints biggest customer... Hence the reason Sprint is building their own LTE network..

Its just not in the cards for Sprint to stay with Clearview and use OUTDATED stuff. Hence the LTE network.  AT&T and Verizon Use the same type of tech for their Network. is why they have the SPEED.. but AT&T drops calls a lot i hear.

Usually new toys always have bugs in them weather its the phone, like the antenna problem with the IP4 last year when it rolled out. To the IP4s on SPRINT is their Iphone problem on 3g.

You made the right move

1. It's ClearWIRE, not ClearView

2. Clearwire only provides 4G (WiMax) - Not 3G (CDMA) which the iphone uses

1 24 25 26 27 28 189 Previous Next