9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2011 2:06 AM by imoddr RSS

iphone 4 only connecting at 1xrtt (little circle)

greg.morgan@gmail.com Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

My iphone 4 only connects at 1xrtt (GPRS, little circle icon). Resetting the phone does not fix it. Went to the sprint store, the iphones there connect at 3G, mine side by side does not. Sprint rep told me there was nothing he could, to take it to the apple store, apple store tells me to reset my phone, which obviously does not fix the issue.

What's the friggen deal here? I am about to send these phones back.

• 1. iphone 4 only connecting at 1xrtt (little circle)
    ScottinWashDC Regular Visitor

Have you tried updating the PRL?

( *2 )

Am waiting for mine so, can't say much but I would suspect PRL or radio issue.

Other thing you could do is do a reset to default ( Erase All Content and Settings ) and see if it clears out some bad settings.

This will of course remove all of your apps and personalization. ( shrug )

Worth a shot.

All else fails, Apple Genius Bar and get a new one.

• 2. iphone 4 only connecting at 1xrtt (little circle)
    atom_ant22 Newbie

Same issues here , sprint says data outages

Its been acting like this since day 1 , at home I'm on wifi but soon as i step out i get the "o"

Im really not happy. Should have kept my evo . Hopefully they fix something soon

• 3. Re: iphone 4 only connecting at 1xrtt (little circle)
    ScottinWashDC Regular Visitor

If it's a data outage, your EVO wouldn't have helped either. Well, 4G/WiMAX would work OK if you are in an area that has it so, that's true.

An EVDO ouage would explain it though, as 1xrtt mode is handled within the voice channel allocation space which use different radios within the cell site(s).

• 4. Re: iphone 4 only connecting at 1xrtt (little circle)
    atom_ant22 Newbie

yes thats what i mean cut on my 4g/wimax and been done with it.

Well got another week left on this 14 day return policy they better do something or im out all togther and will go to another carrier that has iphone

• 5. iphone 4 only connecting at 1xrtt (little circle)
    Valued Member

Get on your computer and open iTunes and sync your phone. Put the phone in DFU mode by following these instructions:

Connect phone to computer by way of usb cable

Turn off phone

Press and hold Power and Home for 10 slow seconds

Release the Power button but not the home button

Hold Home button for additional 14 seconds

Phone screen should be black

iTunes should pop up a box stating that the device is in recovery mode and the only option is to restore the phone. Click Restore and allow it to complete.

• 6. iphone 4 only connecting at 1xrtt (little circle)
    atom_ant22 Newbie

restoring the phone will fix what issues ?????

• 7. iphone 4 only connecting at 1xrtt (little circle)
    tonedef1976 Newbie

I'm assuming since this post is over a month old, that your problem has been fixed. However, if it hasn't, here's what I've done to fix this problem on my iPhone 4.

Go to phone dialer and enter ##873283# and tap "Call". A box will pop up and say "Starting service update". Tap "Ok". Then another box will pop up and say "Service Update Complete".

I would say restoring your phone to fix this issue is a little drastic, but maybe it has worked for others. This method has worked for me without fail.

Good luck!

• 8. iphone 4 only connecting at 1xrtt (little circle)
    MChH Newbie

I tried doing this, but it won't change anything. It worked perfect;y fine for days, and it started acting up, just in the city i live in.

• 9. iphone 4 only connecting at 1xrtt (little circle)
    Valued Member

@atom_ant22 Restoring sets everything back to default and as long as you don't restore from backup it should fix any problems that may have happened due to any configuration or setting change that you made including jailbreaking.

@MChH When you said you tried doing this you didn't specify which method you tried. I would go with what @tonedef1976 said first, and if that doesn't work then restore the phone, but again do not restore from backup. If the issue still continues then it is either a problem with Sprint's network (call 611) or it is a software issue with the phone and unless you want to jailbreak the phone then make sure it is always up to date by plugging the phone into the computer and opening iTunes. If it says that there is an update and you don't want to jailbreak the phone then update it. Any software issues that occur with iPhones will be fixed in updates from itunes. If you still have an issue and the device is up to date, then contact Apple and notify them as you have 1 free year of customer service with them.

Small sub-note, I know that many people may have their devices up to date by using the over-the-air update in settings app, however from personal discovery as well as other iphone users, it is recommended to use iTunes to update the device. So if you did an over-the-air update, then you need to restore with iTunes.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...