This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next 89 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2012 10:41 AM by ConcernedCustomer01 Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?
    josef.higgins Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

Agreed. There is very little conversation on the topic. I was the one that posted the "Official Notice" link after reading of the changes on my 'emailed' Sprint bill ... in fine print. When I first started my relationship with Sprint years ago, I encountered an billing error with the first three months. Since then, I read every detailed inch of my monthly Sprint bills. In fact, I scrutinize all my monthly bills because of that Sprint billing error. When I read of the 4G/3G change, I immediately called/chatted with Sprint Customer Service. As I posted earlier, most of the reps seem to not understand I was referring to 4G/3G USB Broadband Card and not Hotspot Mobile Addon. So, if you guys do call, make sure you tell them about Contractual Changes in 4G/3G Mobile Broadband if you're cancelling your account with no ETF penalty. It may take a while on the phone and you'll probably be transfered to multiple department, as Carson experience. Just be presistant and patient as I still believe the Customer Service Reps don't know the difference between Mobile Broadband or Hotspot accounts. It's a shame Sprint didn't sent out an "official" letter stating the changes. Instead I had to find out through fine print on my monthly bill. Those who do not view their monthly bill because of auto-bill pay feature will be in for a shock after November. The change takes effect 30 days after the notice in your bill, so for me I have until November 6 to cancel in order not be charged an ETF. I'll be cancelling the service this week and moving on to another mobile broadband service. Good Luck!

• 31. Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?
    jsy Regular Visitor

Well, my bill got processed today and I see the change of terms on my bill.  Sprint should be ashamed of themselves in the way they relegated notifying their customers of this major change to a small box to the left side of the bill.  I'm done with Sprint - I will be cutting the cord within the next 2-3 weeks and will not look back at this company.

I am not a long term customer - in fact, I only started back in June specifically for the 4G unlimited.  The way Sprint handled this speaks volumes and imagine how many people who use e-billing who won't notice this change and then get socked with a hefty bill one day.

I'm tempted to just cancel immediately.

• 32. Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?
    Bob__G Valued Member

OK, out of curiosity, I went to the sprint pans page, and as of 10/19/2011, I still see the 5GB/ Unlimited $59.99 /mo** 3G/4G Mobile Broadband Connection Plan, whats the deal, and what happens to some poor sap who signs up today? do the get their unlimited 4g ripped away at the end of the month (bait and switch anyone)?

• 33. Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?

Probably so. A friend of mine questioned me about moving to Sprint for their iPhone Unlimited Data option and wanted to know more about their 4G/3G USB Unlimited Broadband. Friend was just about to sign up when he rememebered I have Sprint Phone and 4G USB Broadband and wanted my views of the company as he's still not sure about Sprint (as a company). While I couldn't detail any experience of Sprints iPhone offer as I have Sprint LG Android mobile (which has been a wonderful phone and service), I was able to tell him my experience on 4G Mobile Broadband card. Of course, in good conscience, I could not and did not recommend he go with Sprint 4G Mobile Broadband and informed him of the "limited press release of changes" that are happening with the Broadband service. Of course, he did not know this as Sprint's website continues to show 4G "Unlimited" Broadband. Well, he didn't sign up with Sprint services at all -- decided to stay with his current mobile provider and purchased their iPhone S4 offerings. In addition, he also decided to stay with his current home Broadband service. So, I was very happy he touched basis with me first before making the decision to go with Sprint as I feel he might have been ripped-off by Sprint if he'd signed a contract with them.

• 34. Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?
    m-simons Regular Visitor

Pay my stuff online obviously so only thought the change was to those doing hotspots witht their phones, but now it applies to mifi's:

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/sprint-set-to-axe-unlimited-data-for-hotspot-devices-20111021/

Probably have only gone above 5GB three times in 18mos, and they haven't charged me even on 3G (san diego), but I won't put up with the possibility.

I'm sure they will after this.

• 35. Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?

It's official. I have cancelled my 4G/3G Unlimted USB Broadband Data plan without paying an ETF. Called Sprint (*2) and spoke to a Customer Service Rep who immediately transferred me to someone in Account Services. I then spoke to a very pleasant gentleman about the reason why I was cancelling the Mobile Broadband plan. Initially, there was some confusion about "Hotspot Addon" vs "USB Mobile Broadband (which is what I have under a 2-year contract). Well, he stepped it up a notch to someone in Accont Services Level 3 Support. Was on and off hold for 20 minutes while the two went over my contact and plan. He then came back to inform me that I was right in the matter of a "Material Contract Change" and that Account Services will disable my USB Mobile Broadband at the end of this month billing cycle. So I have another week to enjoy my Unlimited plan. But on the 1st of November, the service will be officially deacctivated without an ETF. The entire phone called lasted about 25 minutes, most of which I was on hold. So, if you call be patient and remember to inform them that the account is 4G/3G Unlimited Broadband and NOT a Hotspot Addon. In the beginning of the conversation, the rep insisted my Broadband account was a Hotspot account, for which it is not as I have singed a 2-year contract for Unlimited Broadband services. Also, clearly state the reason why you are cancelling (i.e Material Contract Change from Unlimited to 5G capped under a 2-year contract). Again, be patient, as I posted earelier in this thread, Reps seem not prepared for this contract change and may need to step up your support case to Level 3 or a Supervisor. Oh, also I asked about what to do with my USB Card once the service has been deactivated and the rep informed me to either, keep it, sell it, or recycle it. Sprint does not want the USB Card back once the service is over/cancelled. Good Luck!

• 36. Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?
    m-simons Regular Visitor

Thanks, will probably follow suit, but not in a rush as they really have yet to announce it, starting the 30day right to cancel.

Gotta check who has best 4G service in SanDiego.

Sure Sprint doesn't want the "old" card back when they are going to 4G LTE next year.

• 37. Re: Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?
    Regular Visitor

This is absolutely bait and switch. Sprint is selling a service as "unlimited" with no intention of keeping it unlimited. At the point when Sprint announced they were cutting unlimited data, they should have stopped selling those plans.

This is what the FTC has to say:

Guides     Against Bait Advertising

"Sec. 238.0 Bait     advertising defined.1

Bait advertising is an alluring but insincere offer to sell a product or service which     the advertiser in truth does not intend or want to sell. Its purpose is to switch     consumers from buying the advertised merchandise, in order to sell something else, usually     at a higher price or on a basis more advantageous to the advertiser. The primary aim of a     bait advertisement is to obtain leads as to persons interested in buying merchandise of     the type so advertised.

Sec. 238.1 Bait     advertisement.

No advertisement containing an offer to sell a product should be published when the     offer is not a bona fide effort to sell the advertised product. [Guide 1]"

(I expect this post to be deleted by the Sprint censors)

• 38. Re: Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?
    Regular Visitor

As of today...10/23/2011 Sprint is still advertising Unlimited Data when they've clearly announced that these plans will be capped within the next 10 days.

10-23-11 Unlimited data.png

• 39. Re: Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?
    m-simons Regular Visitor

Maybe like Netflix, they've had a change of mind.....(yeah fat chance).

Went online yesterday to at least cancel the $8/mo repair service charge, and within hour of doing it, I was charged $24.96 for data overage last month.....first overage charge in 18months.

Thanks Sprint for continuing to believe you don't need customers.

• 40. Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?
    Tavio Newbie

Sprint, you have ought to be ashamed of your selves, changing the broadband card plans effective November 1st, 2011 from 5GB-3G / Unlimited-4G TO a combined 5GB per month, and then charging .05¢ per MB, which equates to $51.20 per GB, THAT IS INSANE! Not a single letter, or update other than a small update on the BACK top left of my bill's first page. First you up your ETF's, then kill the upgrade program to your loyal customers, then kill the Sprint Premier, and now to killing features that ARE STILL BEING ADVERTISED AS FEATURES TO NEW CUSTOMERS on your website. How can you think you can get away with this??! I thought Sprint believed in the power of being unlimited. Unlimited in what sense, highway robbery, bait and switch???!

I have already called and cancelled my data card, effective the end of billing cycle.  I will be taking my service over to Verizon where they will only (in a sarcastic way) charge me $10.00 per GB in overage as opposed to $51.20 per GB here at Sprint.

• 41. Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?
    Dietrm Newbie

Does anyone know if the new limit also applies to old, old grandfathered mobile broadband card plans with no 4G at all?  For over 5 years I've been on an unlimited 3G-only mobile broadband plan for $80/month.  When Sprint started imposing limits on 3G mobile broadband, I was grandfathered in and not subject to the cap.  My October 4th bill did not include a notice that my service was changing on back of first page.  Just curious if anyone else on a similar old plan has received official notice that they will also be subject to the new limit?

• 42. Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?

I'm not sure about "Grandfathered" 3G-only Broadband accounts. A friend of mine has been Grandfathered in with Unlimited 3G-only data plan that he's had for years. He too haven't heard anything about the cap on those Granddaddy accounts. Overall you might want to contact someone in Account Services to get verbal clarification. I was under the impression that ALL Sprint Data plans will be capped at 5 gigs. I could be wrong. The reason Sprint is capping 4G plans is because Sprint decided to scrap the Clear/Sprint 4G WiMAX agenda and have decided to build their own "LTE 4G" network from scratch. In essence, Sprint is moving away/distancing themselves from Clearwire and in doing so, limiting 4G WiMAX usage until they've build up their new LTE network. Once Sprint LTE is up, every current Sprint 4G user WILL have to upgrade their device (and possibly service) to work under Sprint LTE. As for Grandfathered 3G-only accounts, as I said before, you may want to contact them concerning this matter. Sprint owns their 3G network so I'm not sure if these changes will affect current 3G-only customers.

• 43. Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?
    Regular Visitor

I just got the notice in my bill today. I'm a moderate user, average 5GB a month - some more, some less. I don't really want to have to monitor my usage though, that's why I liked the unlimited. Looks like I'll be going to another carrier to avoid the ridiculous overage fees. For the next month I will be abusing my unlimited data while it lasts, transfering nonsense files back and forth between computers over the network. Hopefully I can get 1TB in 30 days. ***** you Sprint!

• 44. Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?
    jsy Regular Visitor

I am a medium-light user and have not broken 3GB (I have the Unlimited/3GB plan) and I am still going to cancel.  I had this plan so I didn't have to watch the usage as well and now they can't offer me that anymore so I'm gone.