This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2012 2:07 PM by TCUMMINGS21 RSS

Wrong name and Wrong phone number showing up as my caller ID when I make a call???

a1dizfan Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Ever since I changed my phone number back in the first week of September,  I have had issues of with the caller ID and the incorrect phone number showing up when I make a call.  Either it shows only my State and not my name or it shows some other person's name whom I do not even know as my "ID".  The phone number that shows up, sometimes it is my correct number and other times it is numbers from various area codes, not even from my State????   I have called Sprint several times with this issue and each time they have said that it was correct, only to find out a few days later, it really was not.  My last call to them was about 2 days ago.  I am not sure if it was indeed really corrected this time.  It may be fine for a few more days, then start back up as it has been.   Has anyone else had this problem?

• 1. Re: Wrong name and Wrong phone number showing up as my caller ID when I make a call???
    Sprint Employee

When we do a number change or a caller ID update we send a file to national databases with all active carriers. Who is the provider for the line you are calling? There are times we have to submit a LIDB (LineInformationDatabase) form to certain carriers if they have a previous name on the number you now have. We see more issues with those on cable tv company landlines for some reason. If it is not resolved I will be back Tuesday and you can answer my private message and I will assist you.

The key is making sure someong uses the LIDB form and not just confirming the correct information is in the fields in the billing system. We need the full name and number that is showing up and what number you are calling that is showing the erroneous information.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

• 2. Wrong name and Wrong phone number showing up as my caller ID when I make a call???
    arTim Expert

I've had the same thing happen and I've had my number 3 years now.  For the first few.months, I'd call Sprint and they would tell me it was going to switch over next billing cycle. After a while, I stopped worrying about it. My contacts know I'm not "Ernest" and its become a bit of a joke. I would be interested to know I'd you get it fixed.

• 3. Re: Wrong name and Wrong phone number showing up as my caller ID when I make a call???
    a1dizfan Regular Visitor

my carrier is and has been Sprint since the late 90's..   I had changed my phone number to a different area code so my son could call me from that area code as a "local" call.  He came home in September so I chanbed it back to a number with my area code.  It has been since then that other numbers are showing up as my number.  It isn't always the same number but it changes.  It even changes to a different area code.   I cannot say if Sprint has "fixed" it since my call because but I will say, they did not fix the name on the caller ID.  It is still not showing my name.  It should read my first and last name and the last call I made, it showed "FL Call" which is where I am from.  It did give my correct phone number, but that is what it has been doing. Then periodicly it will show an incorrect phone number and an incorrect name. 

The numbers I am calling are landlines, as all the cell phones I call, have me programmed into their phone so I come up as my first name, which is how they have me programed.   It is the landline calls that give me problems.  My local landline carry is Centruy Link, my sister's is At&t.  I know for a fact, the number has come up incorrect through these carriers.

• 4. Re: Wrong name and Wrong phone number showing up as my caller ID when I make a call???
    a1dizfan Regular Visitor

That would be fine if the name was just incorrect, but when the wrong number comes up, people don't want to anwer it. The other night I called my sister at 10pm.  I came through with the wrong name and wrong phone number.  Her husband did finally answer it and then when he heard it was me, he asked where the heck I was calling from.  It was an out of State number  It gave the first name of Don (not my first name) and some really strange last name and then "-C"  Other times it comes up  "FL call"  but still not my phone number and not my area code number.  Other times it comes up "unknown" as caller ID, then an out of State phone number.   I have given Sprint he phone numbers that come up and this last time, I even gave them the name along with the phone number.. 

• 5. Re: Wrong name and Wrong phone number showing up as my caller ID when I make a call???
    DeJuanDMason Newbie

I had this problem when I first bought my phone.  someone contacted Sprint for me and it was corrected.  Now that I have a replacement phone, it's happening all over again.

• 6. Re: Wrong name and Wrong phone number showing up as my caller ID when I make a call???
    a1dizfan Regular Visitor

Please don't say that!   We have finally gotten it to where all of the phones on the account come up as our correct phone number but just state "Florida" and not our names. We can live with that.  Today, I just upgraded one of our phones..  I hope we don't have to go through this all over again...   OMG how I hope we don't!

• 7. Re: Wrong name and Wrong phone number showing up as my caller ID when I make a call???
    TCUMMINGS21 Regular Visitor

I have the same issue and sprint from day 1 says they cant do anything   CID=???inmaviline?? with a number of what looks like a child just mashed the keyboard but this is one of the reasons i will not keep sprint and i will not send any to sprint for service i actually just talked several ppl out of a contract withthem as well as getting all my friends and family to change over to verizon

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points