1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2012 7:03 PM by Dj_Damjano RSS

How much did you pay for iPhone 4S? (pre-order)

kats410 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Hi everyone, just wondering, for those of you who already pre-ordered online, How much did you pay total?

This is what I got.

Eligible for upgrade?: YES (I did not renew my contract because I knew the iPhone would eventually come to Sprint)

Quantity: 1

Type: iPhone 4S 16G (White)

Retail Price:  $649.99

Upgrade discount: $ -150.00

2-Year Contract Renewal discount (instant savings): $ -300.00

Sub-total: $199.99

+TAX: $71.09

Free Shipping

TOTAL: $271.08

Once I activate my phone I will be charged on my Sprint account $36.00 for activation/upgrade fee.

I'm pretty satisfied.

WHAT DID EVERYONE ELSE GET?

• 1. How much did you pay for iPhone 4S? (pre-order)
    LBNYC Regular Visitor

Wow, you have high taxes wherever you are. My taxes were $22.19 with the same discount/upgrade, and the total came to $222.18.

• 2. Re: How much did you pay for iPhone 4S? (pre-order)
    AgentJones34 Regular Visitor

@lbnyc - its cause some states charge tax on the FULL amount before discount and other states charge on the charged amount. so he paid taxes on the 649 and you paid taxes on the 199

• 3. How much did you pay for iPhone 4S? (pre-order)
    hurokitty Regular Visitor

For the 32GB = $365 and change. We have high taxes in California.

• 4. How much did you pay for iPhone 4S? (pre-order)
    kats410 Regular Visitor

@LBNYC lucky...i live in CA, taxes are high..ah well

• 5. How much did you pay for iPhone 4S? (pre-order)
    FirstContact Expert

My daughter was charged $222.18 ( inculding taxes) + $50 dep. $272.18. My bank acct activity for todays order shows it as the price of the phone $222.18 and $50 deposit charge as 2 different charges. But they will refund her that $50 deposit on the 1 yr anniversay for having the iphone. NY Taxes here.

• 6. Re: How much did you pay for iPhone 4S? (pre-order)
    MarzDS23 Valued Member

Iphone 4S 16GB White

Cost $649

--$150

--$300

My Price $199.99

Shipping Free

Taxes $20,25

Cost $220.24

Activation 36.00

AppleCare+ when I activate

$90.00... correction lol $99.00 just woke up

Total Cost in the End

$355.24

Happy man I am now its just a wait game.

Message was edited by: MarzDS23

• 7. How much did you pay for iPhone 4S? (pre-order)
    Iampremier Expert

$271 initially -- but it looks like now its $250 according to my payment history.  California here.

• 8. Re: How much did you pay for iPhone 4S? (pre-order)
    npleasant08 Newbie

I paid 224.00

Phone 4S 16GB Preorder

$649 .99

Instant Savings

- $450 .00

Your price

$199 .99

Activation fee $36

Subtotal

$649 .99

Shipping

FREE

Total instant savings

- $450 .00

includes promotional or coupon savings

Estimated taxes

$25 .00

Today's total

$224 .99

Taxes may vary

• 9. How much did you pay for iPhone 4S? (pre-order)
    JeffOnLongIsland Newbie

I bought my first iPhone this month, a new 4s. I had to wait, as I was a Sprint customer, and they just began offering the iPhone now. I must say I love the phone and am happy with the service. But in my first bill came a nasty surprise.

I bought an iPhone 4S 64gb for $399.00 with free shipping from Sprint. With sales tax in my county in New York, I should have paid 433.41. They charged me $450.68. I contend they are trying to STEAL $17.27 from me, and a similar amount from every iPhone purchaser.

They are CHOOSING to bill me for the Gross Receipts Recovery and Telecom Excise Recovery and MCTD Excise Surcharge and Gross Receipts Fee (notice the use of Gross Receipts in two forms), or some combination of these. RECOVERY fees are those that by law are charged to Sprint on their sales  of telecommunication SERVICES, but they CHOOSE to "recover" those fees by charging their customers. Not really how the law was designed, but they are within their legal rights to do so for SERVICES. But NOT FOR MERCHANDISE.

When you purchase almost all merchandise in a store or for delivery, the vendor must collect a sales tax and remit it to the state. That sales tax for all residents of my county is 8.625%. I believe it is both ILLEGAL and DECEITFUL to charge additional fees which are inappropriate on that particular purchase.

There are only three reasons why all purchasers of iPhones on Sprint were charged this higher rate.

1. Sprint is inaccurate in their billing processes because they are charging the same surcharges for everything.

2. Sprint does not care about their customers by charging and remitting additional fees, or

3. Sprint fully understands that they will not be required to submit these fees and are keeping this money after collecting it under false pretenses.

This may very well have occurred for a long time with other new mobile phone orders with Sprint, and with other carriers as well. Check your billing!

• 10. How much did you pay for iPhone 4S? (pre-order)
    kats410 Regular Visitor

@Jeff

They had originally charged me $271.08 when I first pre-ordered my iPhone, and I remember seeing the charge in my  bank account online. But then a week later I noticed the charge was gone, it disappeared. Then later it showed up again, but the charge was $256.86. I believe it was due to the estimated tax when I first ordered it. The tax was not accurate. Perhaps that is the case with your situation? Maybe wait a week and see if it changes?

• 11. How much did you pay for iPhone 4S? (pre-order)
    ionicgrey Newbie

Thanks for clearing that up a bit, kats. We went to purchase the 32GB from the Sprint store tonight and realized that the tax was a bit higher than we thought it should have been.

Retail: $749.99

Rebates: -$450.00

Activation: $36.00

Taxes: $76.84

Total: $412.83

So we calculated that $76.84 was around 10.25% of $749.99, but here our tax rate in CoCo County is only 8.25%. We ran the calculation on your original bill and found that your tax $71.08 was 10.94% of $649.99, but your revised bill tax of $56.87 is 8.75% of $649.99, which is a rate consistent with much of Alameda County. So hopefully this will be corrected as well once the bill arrives.

• 12. Re: How much did you pay for iPhone 4S? (pre-order)
    Lray3 Newbie

I'm in california, when i went on sprint.com to order my iphone 4s, my total purchase price was $263.00. (199.99 + $63.00 tax). I cancelled my order because sprint was charging too much on taxes. So i went on Apple.com and their taxe is much lesser by about $15.00. My total was $249.00. And if you go with the 64 gb it's $463.00, but with Sprint they'll charge you $483.00, a $20.00 difference!! ******* sprint is always trying to nickel and dime their customers..

Message was edited by: LS96SPD

• 13. Re: How much did you pay for iPhone 4S? (pre-order)
    LX9350 Newbie

In Massachusetts my 16 gig 4S was only 212, total. Pre-ordered from sprint.com the morning of the first day it was available.

• 14. Re: How much did you pay for iPhone 4S? (pre-order)
    GolfGrouch Regular Visitor

The following is the answer to my question about high taxes in California from a Sprint rep:

Since you live in California, your state charges additional tax for telecommunication equipment.  This is called California High Cost Fund Surcharge.  Based on my review of this information, you are charged a certain percentage of the purchase of a phone in addition to the normal state taxes.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...