This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2011 2:18 PM by mapesy RSS

Why is there a difference between username/display?

TSANS777 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I've been using the same username and password for years and all of a sudden, I can't access my account.  When I try to retrieve my username by entering my phone number, it gives me the display name that I was "forced" to create a few days ago while trying to access the forums.

When I try to use my old username, there is an invalid user message.  When I try to change the password, it tell me that it can't match my username even though it's completely different.

What is the problem with having the same log info that I've used for years?  And is there really a need for different info for sprint.com, picture mail, ban passcode and pin?

• 1. Why is there a difference between username/display?
    abe2020 Sprint Employee

Sorry for the inconvenience.For your security, we've updated guidelines for usernames and passwords:

• Your username is what you will use to sign in to My Sprint. Usernames must be 6-33 characters and are case sensitive. They can include periods, hyphens and underscores.
    • Passwords must be 6-33 characters but they cannot match your username. Passwords must include one capital letter and one number.
    • Your community name will be shown in your community profile and in front of every post and comment you make. Your community name must be 4-20 characters and cannot contain spaces or special characters. For your security, your community name must be different from your username.

If your community name, username or password doesn't meet the requirements, you'll see an error message and you will not be allowed to save changes.

To change your community name, username or password on sprint.com:

Sign in to My Sprint with your username and password Click the My Preferences tab Click Change display name, username or password Edit your display name, username and/or password, then click Save.

Hope this helps

Abe

• 2. Why is there a difference between username/display?
    mapesy Sprint Admin

Hello TSANS777,

I am sorry you hare having trouble with access to the site.  I've sent this thread to our production support team to reivew. As soon as I know something, I'll pass it to you.

Thanks,

mapesy

• 3. Why is there a difference between username/display?
    mapesy Sprint Admin

TSANS777,

The community display name is different from your username and password.  Here is a blog that explains some of the reasons why.  Also, I sent you a follow-up private message about your experience. You can access the message by clicking on 'Your Stuff" towards the top of the page and then going to Private Messages.

Thanks,

mapesy

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points