This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2012 2:44 AM by MCKISHEN1 RSS

Sprint Direct Connect and Airave

gtbii333 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Does the Airave Access Point support the Sprint Direct Connect service from the Motorola Admiral?

• 1. Sprint Direct Connect and Airave
    Sprint Employee

Yes it is CDMA and is supported - also you want to submit a review of the device for other users here- http://community.sprint.com/baw/reviews.jspa?INTNAV=ATG:HE:Reviews

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

• 2. Sprint Direct Connect and Airave
    gtbii333 Newbie

Larry,

Since the direct connect uses data, do I need any specific increased minimum speeds on my connection?

• 3. Sprint Direct Connect and Airave
    Sprint Employee

No it is a minimal amount - You can check your connection stats by going to voiptest.packet8.net

Larry

• 4. Sprint Direct Connect and Airave
    JimBrez6402 Newbie

Larry,  I am very very frustrated with Sprint right now due to this very post. 

Sprint claims that the Airave would help me boost my signal.  I have an Admiral phone with Sprint Direct Connect.  They sent me out an Airave and when I hooked it up to my computer/modem, the Airave cancelled my Direct Connect ability.  After countless hours on HOLD with Sprint, they told me that the Airave could not be used with my D/C.  Then they said that a Samsung Airave could do it for me and sent me out one.  Funny enuf that they sent me out the exact same thing that they sent me the first time. 

After more hours on hold and countless amounts of "customer support" who do not know what they are talking about, again I was told that the product will not help me out.  Then an hour later I would get a voice mail from Sprint saying that it would.  I have gone back and forth with this product saying it will work/it won't work.  Even Sprints own website says that it should work but for some reason, it is not. 

gtbii14, what have you found?

• 5. Re: Sprint Direct Connect and Airave
    Missynay Regular Visitor

My husband and I both have the Admiral and we've had an Airvana airave for about a month.  It was okay for a couple of weeks - kinda spotty, but I can tell you that the DC did work sometimes on the airave.  However, in the last two weeks our airave will only give us a 1X connection, not 3G.  My phone will show that it's trying to switch to 3G, but then it goes back to 1X.  DC will not work over a 1X connection at this time, so my DC does not work when I am home. 

I just called Sprint a while ago and the CS rep re-cycled the airave.  While the airave was down I had 3G and 1 bar, with DC.  When the airave cycled back up I went back to 1X, full bars, and no DC.

• 6. Re: Sprint Direct Connect and Airave
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

Hello and thank you for reporting this issue.  This has been identified as a "known issue" on the Motorola Admiral with regard to DC, 1X, and the device not registering properly to the network when in 1X mode and trying to DC.  The Airave adds another layer of complexity but we would like to track these issues.  For now, have you tried (while in Airave coverage) to either toggle airplane mode waiting 2 minutes before turning airplane mode off, and/or turning the phone off for 2 minutes then back on again. 

For tracking, we are creating tickets to forward to engineers and manufacturers.  You can private message me by clicking on my avatar.  I will need your name, Sprint phone number and the location this issue occurs if different from the billing address. 

Thank you for your participation,

Tom

• 7. Sprint Direct Connect and Airave
    SprintChirpin Valued Member

I to just recently upgraded to an Admiral from a Titanium and have been in touch with Sprint reps 2 or 3 times a day because of my Direct Connect not working properly.  Also signal goin all over the place from Domestic Roam-3G-1x in no particular order and it doesnt matter what zip code Im in.  With my Titanium I never had this much of a problem.  I hope Sprint doesnt shut Nextel down too soon because they got some bugs to work with this phone.

• 8. Re: Sprint Direct Connect and Airave
    ICS.MHammett Regular Visitor

Any updates with regards to the Admiral's DC working on the Airave AP?

• 9. Re: Sprint Direct Connect and Airave
    citybett1 Valued Member

Missynay wrote:

My husband and I both have the Admiral and we've had an Airvana airave for about a month.  It was okay for a couple of weeks - kinda spotty, but I can tell you that the DC did work sometimes on the airave.  However, in the last two weeks our airave will only give us a 1X connection, not 3G.  My phone will show that it's trying to switch to 3G, but then it goes back to 1X.  DC will not work over a 1X connection at this time, so my DC does not work when I am home. 

I just called Sprint a while ago and the CS rep re-cycled the airave.  While the airave was down I had 3G and 1 bar, with DC.  When the airave cycled back up I went back to 1X, full bars, and no DC.

Here's my experience.  The Sprint Direct Connect on the Admiral failed most of the time for me before the last system update that came out a month ago for the Admiral, with or without an Airave. The system update for the Admiral appears to have fixed the Direct Connect issues, so make sure you're on the latest version of the system software for the phone.

I have five Airvana's set up at work (all in different buildings) and I personally use a Motorola Admiral.   The Direct Connect works fine through the Airvana BUT ONLY if the Admiral actually connects to the Airvana for data service.  Below is a link that details all of the various Airvana problems I have.  It's not specific to any of the Airvana's, all five of them have the same various issues.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/87873?start=0&tstart=0

In a nutshell, sometimes my phone connects to the Airvana for 3G data only and voice still connects to the cell tower.  Sometimes voice connects to the Airvana but data still connects to the tower.  Sometimes both data and voice connect to the Airvana.  What you're describing above sounds like what I run into when voice connects to the Airvana but data does not.  Data still ends up connected to a sprint tower with very weak signal, hence the switching between 3G and 1x. 

• 10. Re: Sprint Direct Connect and Airave
    MCKISHEN1 Newbie

I just went through trying to get my Airave set up here, although I only use Duramax phones. The issue I had is that my Verizon DSL is too slow for Direct Connect, which they recommend 3mbps. Verizon's basic DSL is only 1mbps on a good day.

DC works if my phone is the only phone connecting but it slows my internet connection to a crawl.

Voice is great, 5 bars for 400' in any direction.

When I first walk in the house, it takes a good while for DC to start working and day time use is sketchy for some reason.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points