This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2011 8:12 PM by RC1024 RSS

How do I stop apps from opening when I don't need them?

terrywing4 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I have a Samsung Moment and my battery gets drained sometimes within 20 minutes of a full charge. As this is happening, I noticed that several apps are open but I haven't opened them nor are they critical to the OS. I have Watchdog installed as my app killer but this isn't working. Does anyone else have a suggestion besides upgrading the phone which I will do as soon as the contract allows me to.

• 1. How do I stop apps from opening when I don't need them?
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Hello Terrywing4, If you are getting such short battery life from a full charge I would say the battery is likely not holding as strong a charge as one may expect. however some things that you may want to consider to maximize your battery life. first remove any task killers (they are often counter productive), install Juice defender (it limits background data usage), if you have any email accounts that are POP/IMAP consider setting them to not check for messages automatically. when done with an app use the back arrow to exit, or press menu > exit if the option is available (instead of using house button). this should help, and you may want to have the batter tested in a service center to be certain it is near it's rated capacity.

• 2. How do I stop apps from opening when I don't need them?
    CJOHNSON832 Newbie

I would like to know how to stop Moxier Mail's EasSyncManagerService from starting itself up on my Moment several times a day. I do NOT use MM, will never use it and would prefer it not even exist on my phone but I know I cannot remove it without rooting my phone. How can I make this troublesome app NOT EVER START AT ALL?!

• 3. How do I stop apps from opening when I don't need them?
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Hello CJOHNSON832, what problems are presented by Moxier Mail running? are you using some sort of task killer?

• 4. How do I stop apps from opening when I don't need them?
    CJOHNSON832 Newbie

I use no "task killers" at all. I simply don't want MM using up battery and processor power. The Moment's processor is slow and having unneeded apps running slows it down more plus uses up the battery. Sprint's coverage where I live is spotty at best so the phone's battery runs down fast enough from the low signal, having apps I DON"T WANT running on their own makes a bad situation worse. On a related subject, now and then I find the Amazon music app running. I don't want the stupid app even installed on my phone let alone have it start up when I didn't want it running in the first place. It only does it once in awhile, as opposed to several times a day like the Moxier app but it's just enough to be annoying.

To recap: no task killers, simply unwanted apps taking up memory, using up processor power and battery time. Don't want these silly apps installed on my phone but if I can't get rid of them at least tell me how to lock them down from EVER starting up.

• 5. How do I stop apps from opening when I don't need them?
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Hello CJOHNSPN832, I'm glad that you've replied. the resources occupied by moxiermail while it's not in use are too insignificant to mention while the app is not setup or being use. If you feel that it's worth your while to remove you would have to gain root access, then remove the app, or remove the app from the command line. When i used the moment I used Moxier to setup my hotmail as EAS, which allows contacts and cal to sync with a live.com/hotmail email acct.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...