This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2011 8:20 AM by Levi4u RSS

[UPDATE] Can I stop the Premium Text Charges but not the short codes?

nkc_sprint Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I had some erroneus texting charges on my bill from one of those scamming SMS companies.  It seems like the internet and your site is filled with people who have had the same issue.  I called Sprint customer service about the problem.  They cancelled the charge and stopped the service.  Sprint should sue these companies.  They just waste your time and anger your customers. 

But anyways, when Sprint blocked premium sms fees they also blocked short text codes.  I can't even send the "usage" text to 1311.

Thanks

So, I just got off the phone with Sprint Customer Service.  They have a new feature that block only premium texting.  I think he called it "Premium Text Block".  So, you can still use short text codes without the fear of getting charged later.

• 1. Can I stop the Premium Text Charges but not the short codes?
    14KNIGHT Sprint Employee

Blocking short codes can be done three ways.   One is block all short codes.  Second r is to block a specific short code or codes, for that we need the code we are going to block.   We can also block all short codes then allow certain codes to go through  again we need to have the code you wish to allow  for  this to happen

• 2. Re: Can I stop the Premium Text Charges but not the short codes?

Is there a way I can control this myself or do I need to call customer service to get this done?  I know I can block text.  But I don't know where on the site to turn off premium text.  I called when this all happen two years ago.

Sprint should consider texting you anytime you sign up for something that cost money?  Maybe something like "You device has approved a Premium SMS service, if you want this please reply "ACCEPT"."  This way you can still donate to Katrina or United Way but you don't accidently get the the 9.99 joke of the week text.

• 3. Re: Can I stop the Premium Text Charges but not the short codes?
    Levi4u Master

This is something we advocates are trying to get them to do, There are upcoming changes to how they are going to treat us when we receive these bogus charges, In the future they are not going to be crediting them and are going to make us contact those companys to dispute the charges.

nkc_sprint wrote:

Sprint should consider texting you anytime you sign up for something that cost money?  Maybe something like "You device has approved a Premium SMS service, if you want this please reply "ACCEPT"."  This way you can still donate to Katrina or United Way but you don't accidently get the the 9.99 joke of the week text.

• 4. Re: Can I stop the Premium Text Charges but not the short codes?

That seems unfair.  How do you dispute these rogue operations?  If you honestly don't even know how you sign up for it how do you fight it.  When it happened to me I was at a complete loss to what I had done.  Obviously somehow they got my number.  I don't know if I did it or what.  I sure hope Sprint doesn't make it any harder to get it removed.

• 5. Re: Can I stop the Premium Text Charges but not the short codes?
    Levi4u Master

We are working with them to try to get the simple text sent before charges are applied, Then they will know for fact that it is somethong the customer signed up for.

This is what I'm being told,

Sprint is changing policy where we won't do credits, we will be mailing letters out about this shortly. We have to start referring customers to the Third Party Company that put them on the bill, unfortunately.

1) Contact Sprint. If you have questions regarding third party charges on your bill, you will need to contact Sprint and ask to have the charges placed in dispute. Sprint is unable to remove charges upon this initial call. When a charge is placed in dispute, it will continue to appear as a past due amount, however your account will not be suspended for non-payment of the disputed amount.

2) Contact the third party. If you have disputed charges, immediately contact the appropriate third party service provider. Their telephone number will appear at the top of the page that contains their charges. Please call the third party.

3) Watch for credits issued. Should the third party service provider agree to provide you credits for charges that appeared in the Sprint bill, those credits issued by a third party will appear on your Sprint bill within two billing cycles.

4) Watch for future charges and closely review your bills. Please be advised that Sprint can remove the third party charges from your bill after they are contact from the Third Party Company, however Sprint cannot cancel services on your behalf with the third party service provider. Therefore, Sprint can block future charges from the third party service provider. Third party service providers have their own rights to bill you and contact you directly to attempt collection for any charges removed by Sprint.

• 6. [UPDATE] Can I stop the Premium Text Charges but not the short codes?

Well, that is not any good.  Look at my update to the original post.  Hopefully 14Knight sees it too.  He said this was a brand new option they had.  It will block only premium texting.  So, I can still make request to my local radio station or check my minutes by sms.  But, I don't have to worry about getting swindled by some scammer.

• 7. Re: Can I stop the Premium Text Charges but not the short codes?
    Levi4u Master

That is nothing new that I'm aware of, Not all "Premium Text" messaging services charge and to have to block them makes it to where you cannot use the ones you would like to. Schools are now sending text to parents phones for things like "no school/snow days" with that block you would not receive them. A lot of free ringtone sites use Premium Text as do whether alerts and many other free texing services, Again with it blocked you could not use them.

• 8. [UPDATE] Can I stop the Premium Text Charges but not the short codes?

I think your misunderstanding this.  It is only blocking text that charge money.  You can still text your local radio station to request a song or have the school text you.  But you won't be finding out your horoscope for the day for 10th bucks a month.  What they mean by "PREMIUM" is sms short codes that have fees associated with them.

• 9. Re: [UPDATE] Can I stop the Premium Text Charges but not the short codes?
    Levi4u Master

I'm not misunderstanding anything, Not all Premium Text have charges associated with them. If I want to use any of the FREE ringtone sites like

http://www.myxer.com/

http://www.funformobile.com/

http://www.zedge.net/

http://makeownringtone.com/

http://mobilereelz.com/

With that block in place I would not be able to.

Also if I DID want to be able to use any legitimate ones that do charge, Again with that block in place wouldn't be able to. Instead of blocking them ALL just make it simple and send out a text "From Sprint" to approve the charge before applying it.

• 10. Re: [UPDATE] Can I stop the Premium Text Charges but not the short codes?
    Levi4u Master

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Learn_about_Premium_Text_Messaging_keywords/case-cx832318-20091104-120101

A Premium Text Messaging keyword is a unique string of text that helps you interact with ashort code or Premium Text Messaging service.

For example: Text HELP to 466453 (Google).

In this example, HELP is the keyword and 466453 is the short code.

Texting Google is a Premium Text Message - FREE

- - - - - - - -

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Know_more_about_Premium_Text_Messaging/case-gb746811-20090622-142247

Premium Text Messaging is a service that allows you to use your phone bill as a payment method for services received via text messages. Common examples of these services are:

• Alerts: News, weather, stock quotes, horoscopes
      • Sports: NASCAR, MLB
      • Voting or polling: Trivia, prize games
      • Interactive TV: Deal or No Deal, Big Brother, Survivor
      • Interactive radio: Song requests
      • Text 2 Screen: Display special greetings on your TV
      • Mobile marketing: Coupons, sales alerts
      • Fundraising: Donate to Red Cross

AGAIN, Not ALL Premium Text Messages have CHARGES associated with them.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points