This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2011 8:26 PM by RC1024 RSS

Non Smart Phones

Tee52 Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

Does Sprint still offer a cell phone that is not a smart phone? One that has a camera and can text? I have a Samsung A900 that I have had for years and it has those features, but I would like to get a new phone, but not a smart phone. I know smart phones are all the rage, but I just don't need all that. I want to be able to make calls, take pics and send/receive texts. Any info on the phones would be appreciated.

• 1. Non Smart Phones
    robotaholic Gold Expert

Here are a few:

Kyocera Brio, DuraMax, and DuraCore; LG Rumor Touch; Samsung Trender and M360 and Sanyo Vero, Innuendo, and Taho

-John

• 2. Non Smart Phones
    Tee52 Valued Member

Thank you very much for that info. Is one better than the other in your opinion as far as function and not dropping calls?

• 3. Re: Non Smart Phones
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

All of our phones are designed to meet certain network specifications, and should perform as well as the others, personally, and from past customer comments I usually suggest Sanyo phones, keep in mind that Kyocera, and Sanyo phones are now more or less the same, the Sanyo Vero would be my recommendation for you if you are looking for a solid, reliable flip phone with a camera. Just out of curiosity is there anything keeping you away from smart phones apart from the feeling of not needing what they have to offer?

• 4. Re: Non Smart Phones
    Tee52 Valued Member

Price! Pure and simple the price per month. We have been sprint customers since January 11, 2000, never switched carriers. We both want the Samsung Galaxy, but with the $129 plan,  $10 per month charge per phone, plus all the other taxes/fees etc we are looking at $150+ per month for both our phones and that is the deciding  factor. Of course I am not sure we need all the features of the smart phone, but they may be nice to have once we used them. Bottom line - we cannot afford that much for a phone.

Thank you for the suggestions.

• 5. Re: Non Smart Phones
    Regular Visitor

$print may not be the beast deal if you just want a barebones phone. Walmart has no-contract phones that could meet your needs.

• 6. Re: Non Smart Phones
    Tee52 Valued Member

Thank you but we do not want  pay as you go phone and I am not sure Walmart is a good carrier. We have had absolutely no problems with Sprint or the customer service, in fact we have rarely had to use customer service. That is the main reason we have stayed with Sprint for 11 years.

• 7. Re: Non Smart Phones
    Regular Visitor

Walmart is not the carrier, they sell non-contract phones that are bare bone.Think about it.

• 8. Re: Non Smart Phones
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Hello again Tee52, if you already share the $129 plan, and do not want to go to a smartphone because of the premium data fee, then you may want to look at the Samsung Replenish, it's an android smartphone, with a keyboard, it's reasonably prices, and would allow you to avoid the extra $10 per phone, however if you are not sharing the $129 plan, and have an older/lower plan you may need to go with a non smart phone to avoid increased monthly service charges. the smartphone will offer better web, email experience, allow you to easily sync your contacts/calendar with multiple online services, and has the android market available.

• 9. Re: Non Smart Phones
    Tee52 Valued Member

Thank you for the information. We have one of the older plans that is not longer offered and has not been for a couple years. We also have not been under a contract with Sprint since 2008 I think. We both have $150 per phone upgrade that we have not used.

Thanks for all the info. I guess we have some decisions to make.

• 10. Re: Non Smart Phones
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

I'm glad that i can help, please let me know if you have any other questions.

• 11. Non Smart Phones
    wingland Sprint Admin

Personally I love the Duramax and the older Sanyo Taho flip phones.  Rugged, waterproof, simple, clear and functional.  Serious phone for long-term use. 

• 12. Non Smart Phones
    PJRinachandayo Newbie

I used to have the Sanyo Katana and absolutely LOVED the phone! Why are flip phones going away in America? I think there are still plenty of people who would like the flip style phone. I have been wanting to get rid of my smart phone to go back to the flip style but the selections are just horrible..the dLite flip phone by T-mobile was a spectacular flip phone with a nice large upper screen. It was very much like a Japanese cell phone.  Will Sprint be releasing any new styles of flip phones this coming next year?

• 13. Non Smart Phones
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Hello PJRinachandayo, That's a great question, I really enjoy the enthusiasm. Flip/Standard/Feature phones are likely going to stick around for a while because the Flip style form factor makes perfect sense for some phones, like direct connect, or phones that lack the necessity of a large screen, Although more, and more customers seem to be gravitating towards Android, and Iphone because they offer so much that a feature phone may not be able to deliver. mostly people like easy to read/check email, applications available, and contact/calendar sync.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points