This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2011 5:07 PM by ColonolKlink RSS

How are you using your "premium data"? PLEASE RESPOND........................

sicofsprint1 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I have a HTC Hero, I know an ancient android device, and I may be interested in upgrading. I have an issue with paying the $10 premium charge because I do not use that much data. Lately I have been streaming Pandora, just do consume data, because I hate having people on sprint's web page as well as the Facebook page praising how good it is that sprint has cut all perks in order to preserve unlimited data so I stream a little just to see how it feels to use some. In most cases, some apps do not load or always foreclose while using and I have to reset my phone in order to use again. Pandora and the maps are a wasted use of data that is not necessary. Will all the complaints of slow speed and my own experience with spotty coverage.  My questions are how do you abuse your unlimited data, what phone do you have and is it necessary to upgrade and pay the extra $10 per month?

Thanks!

• 1. How are you using your "premium data"? PLEASE RESPOND........................
    RobOrtiz Regular Visitor

The fact that you have an HTC hero is reason enough to upgrade. The reality is that upgrading to a new smartphone will instantly provide you with a better experience to where you use more data naturally without having to "abuse" the unlimited option. I have an HTC arrive and I dont have an issue paying the additional 10 dollars because the plan that I have overall still provides a compelling value over the other carriers. I also live in Houston, TX were coverage is generally excellent with sprint so that also make a difference.

• 2. Re: How are you using your "premium data"? PLEASE RESPOND........................
    SP_Clarissa Bronze Expert

I’m sorry to hear that you have been experiencing problems with your HTC Hero. There are some third party applications that can have problems foreclosing or may not be compatible with your current phone since the HTC Hero does not have the most current android software version. The android market does offer thousands of applications in all different categories and should have something useful for everyone. I have found it very easy to use up data on my HTC Evo since I have multiple email accounts constantly updating in the background and many applications.

Also, under Sprint’s Satisfaction Guarantee, when you upgrade your phone through Sprint you have 14 days to ensure the new phone exceeds your expectations.

Thanks,

Clarissa

• 3. Re: How are you using your "premium data"? PLEASE RESPOND........................
    BoRoMe Newbie

We've been with Sprint for over 10 years. When I upgraded to EVO 4g and 2 yr contract we didn't qualify for Gold. I still haven't figured out what benifits are avaliable.

• 4. Re: How are you using your "premium data"? PLEASE RESPOND........................
    TDBCSB Regular Visitor

That's great, Clarissa.  However, what phone ever stops working in 14 days? I've had my phone (Samsung Intercept) for about a year.  It was great, until I loaded an app or two. Then it got so slow I couldn't even answer a call in time or it just quit, and rebooted all together when a call came in.  I'm not talking large apps. I've been in for service on it multiple times. They've replaced it twice and wiped it out and started over four times. I've see online that people have been calling to have this POS phone recalled for a year.  What does one have to do to get a phone that actually works as advertises from sprint?

• 5. Re: How are you using your "premium data"? PLEASE RESPOND........................
    Skorpio1313 Expert

Sicofsprint.... you're forum name pretty much says it all for u. ppl that come on the forums and spend a good amount of time in here, bashing Sprint and bad mouthing every chance they get, just shows you come in here with a chip on your shoulder. I dont know how many times the same info needs to be posted about the premium data charge, fornppl to get it through their heads. Sprint users, as a whole, use more data bandwidth than users from other carriers. ATT charges somewhere around 45/monthly for limited data and Verizon charges somewhere around 30/monthly i think, once again for limited data. Sprint has managed to maintain offering unlimited data usage, via mobile device and 90% of us, greatly appreciate it. Bandwidth usage like that costs lots of money. In order for Sprint to continue providing that service, they had tonstart recuperating some of that money, through the purchase/upgrade to smartphones. Smartphones are data hogs. if you have a weather widget, a facebook or twitter widget...aemail program etc that is constantly going out there and updating, guess what...thats bandwidth. So, just because you dont stream, doesnt mean you dont have hefty data usage.  Me on the other hand...i stream like a fiend.

• 6. How are you using your "premium data"? PLEASE RESPOND........................

Thanks for your comment but you did not answer my question. I asked what customers use their data for? Meaning why does your unlimited data need a friend named premium? You compared capped prices for new customers with the other carriers but you failed to realize that they have several customers that were grandfathered in to unlimited before the cap was applied. True sprint has unlimited data for all customers but if the average customer uses less than or can find alternate was to not go over 2gb of data, why the need to charge all customers for unlimited use? I recently upgraded because I was tired of getting a refurbished Hero every other month. I do nothing more with my new phone except for maybe being able to actually stream pandora more but that has not increased my data usage. I will probably use less than a GB as usual and pay a fee that I don't really use. My question again is what do customers use the data for that would have them be forced to pay and extra unlimited fee? If you go over a certain amount the you pay. If a person wants a nice smartphone but does not use that much data why should they have to pay extra? I am just saying the fee is BS and the current customers should have been grandfathered in. I hope the service gets better but if not there is always the possibility of being bought out by Verizion! I waste data now just to get my money's worth. I don't really need unlimited data. Why did I upgrade you ask? Because I'm just use to this company and hopefully things will get better as far as coverage for me. I decided to give it two more years before I shop around. Plus my employee discount is the major factor. Let the discount disappear and so will I. This really is the reason why I stay because even with the $10 fee I save about $30 per month.

• 7. How are you using your "premium data"? PLEASE RESPOND........................
    Skorpio1313 Expert

You are NOT paying $10 a month for UNLIMITED data. You are paying $10 for premium data. And if you wer a Sprint customer and had a contract in place, you werent suddenly charged $10 month for premium data. That only came into play, if and when decided to upgrade your phone. Now, with that said...there was a list of phones you could have upgraded to that wouldn't have had the $10 premium data charge added. But, if you CHOSE to upgrade to one of the smartphones on the list of premium data usage phones, then you were charged for the PREMIUM data fee. Once again...it is NOT AN UNLIMITED DATA FEE! You get the UMLIMITED DATA with your UNLIMITED DATA plan.

So....now, how do i used my premium data. I stream Pandora radio or Sirius XM radio. I check facebook, twitter, my fantasy football teams, the weather, the news...all day long. I stream Netflix on occasion. i have the capability on my phone to tether without it being charged to wifi hotspot by Sprint. So, thats huge data usage. Um....i send pictures, related to work or personal pretty regularly. I use Sprint Music and Google Music. I also use Amazon Cloud. All day long my phone is using data.

• 8. Re: How are you using your "premium data"? PLEASE RESPOND........................

BoRoMe,

Customers who reached 10 years tenure by 9/30/11 should be included in the Gold tier. If you would like for me to look into this for you, please send me a private message.

Thanks,

Clarissa

• 9. How are you using your "premium data"? PLEASE RESPOND........................
    Valued Member

SicofSprint........I understand what you are saying.  I don't use that much data at all.  I picked up an iphone so its only 3G.  The 3G is really slow.  And at my job i barely get signal so there is no point in even trying to stream music much less netflix or anything.  When I'm at home I use my wifi again cause the 3G speed. 

I think yur like me and just really dont use your phone to much.  Sprint has tried to advertise the whole one simple price thing but I believe it is not that simple.  You have the advertised price.  Then the $10 more per line if its a smart phone.  About a year ago I was told this was a 4G charge.  But if you dont get a smartphone then you dont have the surcharge.  Then you know also have a data cap on the mobile hotspots. 

I just use my phone pretty much as a phone.  I check email on occasion and check facebook.  But I have it set where it does not auto update.  I've monitored my bill and use very little data.  My wife though uses quite a bit.  It would be nice if Sprint had different brackets of usage charge.  This way you would get rewarded for using less data or using your wifi.  And then the data hogs will pay a set price for sucking down the data and slowing up the network even more.

O well.  I also get a company discount and will give Sprint 2 more years.  We'll see what happens in the future.  Overall I have been satisfied with Sprint for the past 6 years

• 10. Re: How are you using your "premium data"? PLEASE RESPOND........................

Thanks for sharing your concerns.

Sprint’s 14 day Satisfaction Guarantee is similar to the return policy for the other major wireless carriers. With issues occurring outside of the 14 days, Sprint offers Total Equipment Protection for $8/month. With TEP, the phone is covered for in store repair/replacement for free as long as there is no physical/liquid damage. Phones with normal wear and tear, missing components, cracked housing or LCD, or broken hinges or lenses may also qualify to be repaired/replaced as determined by a Sprint technician. Asurion would handle the claims for liquid and most physical damage which is also included in TEP with a deductible. If you would like for me to look into your available phone options; please send me a private message and I would be happy to assist you.

Thanks,

Clarissa

• 11. How are you using your "premium data"? PLEASE RESPOND........................

Once again, thanks for your input. No need to yell. So that you understand where I am coming from the charge is not realistic for all smartphone customers. I have and a smartphone for about five years or better. Starting with the Palm 650, 755p, centro and Treo Pro. When android was introduced, I switched to the HTC Hero. Now why would I not get a smartphone when I have been using that type of device for years? I am not saying it is and unlimited fee but just because I have a new smartphone doesn't mean that I will use my phone anymore than I would before. Although, since I am forced to pay for "premium data" I may as well use it. Like poster KennethCalk, not all customers are data hogs. It would have been nice to have been grandfathered in like Verizon and AT&T did to their customers instead of being forced to be and extra charge. I just hope that all the changes improve the network. I weighed my pros and cons before upgrading and believe me I am becoming a data hogg to get my money's worth. The fee will never make sense to me because a person should not be forced into paying for something he/she really doesn't need. To make sprint and all the people excited about unlimited(slow) data, I stream all the time now! I even GPS my way around my familiar city just to waste data.

• 12. Re: How are you using your "premium data"? PLEASE RESPOND........................
    Denny_D Silver Expert

The $10 Premium Data Charge is a result of the constant data connection required by today's smartphones and the need for Sprint to provide upgraded tower capacity and backhaul to support these connections. Previous generations of smartphones connected to the provider's service either on demand by an application or on a schedule set by the user.

Sprint's costs associated with upgrading tower capacity and backhaul can be directly attributed to our smartphones. Therefore the $10 premium data fee is properly charged to to these same smartphones.

My EVO 3D is my news reader, my Kindle reader, I take notes using Evernote. It is my navigator, phonebook, calendar, calculator, watch, and dog whistle.

I have the HTC dock so it is my bedside clock and alarm. I use my phone to follow the Diamondbacks with the At Bat app, the Cardinals with both the Sprint app and ESPN. I surf the web, text, email and even use it as a phone. I stream music from Pandora, I use Docs to Go for editing Word and Excel documents and lately it is even my boarding pass, copier and fax machine. My 3VO is my hi-fi, camera, video recorder and video player. My EVO 3D is my llink to Facebook and Google +

DD

I am an advocate for Sprint, in order for me to comply with FTC rules I must state that I was a SAGE 2011 attendee. Expenses associated with SAGE 2011 were covered by Sprint Nextel Corporation and HTC. My attendance at the event in no way precludes me from speaking in favor or against items of interest to Sprint or HTC.

• 13. How are you using your "premium data"? PLEASE RESPOND........................
    ATRACHTMAN Regular Visitor

Last month I used 12,408,298 kilobytes of 4G data.  That works out to be about 11.8 gigabytes.  This was all from my phone (Photon 4G) for downloading apps / mp3s / movies, streaming movies or music, surfing the web, and a ton of other data related things.

On any other carrier in this country (that I know of, anyway) I would have been charged out the *** for this!  With sprint, I pay my monthly fee and that's it.  And on top of that, I get unlimited calls to any of my friends and family regardless of their carrier.

Sprint isn't perfect, but as far as plans and cost (at least for me) it's the best.

• 14. Re: How are you using your "premium data"? PLEASE RESPOND........................
    RUZZT Newbie

Since I just got off the phone with Sprint Customer "Service" that  took 2 calls, four reps and over an hour of my time to resolve a $35  charge dispute, I googled this phrase, "why do i pay for premium data if  I never use it?"; this is the thread that came up first.

Last month I used 466,948KB of data, no Anytime minutes and 244 texts. Didn't use 4G for anything.

To answer your question...nothing. I don't use premium data for  jack. All of my semi-large downloads are done over my Wifi or free Wifi  when I'm out. I never, ever, ever, ever use 4g. Why? Because 1) It  destroys my battery life (as if the screen itself didn't do that  enough), 2) It makes my Epic 4G too hot to hold or put in my pocket  (especially in Summer) and 3) It only really works outside with a clear  line of sight to the sky. How the he!! (yes, they censored that word, thank you big brother Sprint), can I watch a streaming movie out  in the sun? And why would I want to?  Now can anyone tell me how that's  worth $10 "Premium Data (required for this device)" extra a month? All I  wanted was a nifty "Smart" phone. Getting Facebook updates, email and  googling where to go out to eat (when I'm prodominantly on my own Wifi),  doesn't in any way put undue pressure on the Sprint infrastucture.  Sprint says they need to recoup the costs of these "data-hogging"  "smart" phones that they have no problem selling. Hey fine, but the  heavy users should be charged an extra $10 and the rest of us should  not. The charge should be based solely on the amount of data each  individual uses and not on the "type" of phone it is. And if anyone  believes Sprint doesn't already know this, I've got a treasure map to  sell you.

If Sprint wants to charge $79.99/month for their Unlimited  service, they should just integrate 4G (which is a bogus marketing term  anyway) into the basic architecture of the phone, (why do we need a  switch to turn it on and off?), and stop using the term "Premium."

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...