This discussion is archived
1 2 3 20 Previous Next 290 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2012 9:52 PM by tonyschild RSS

$36 activation fee?!

Leilani333 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I have been a Sprint customer for over 10 yrs and I don't recall this $36 activation fee.  I upgraded my phone last year online and I know I didn't pay a fee.  When did this all change?! I don't recall receiving any communication about the change. I am FINALLY able to upgrade today after a year of dealing with the crappy LG Optimus S phone.  I was about to purchase the iPhone 4S when I saw the activation fee.  I called customer service and of course got nowhere.  Whats the point of staying with Sprint when I see no perks like you claim.  Stop claiming that you are different from the other carriers because YOU ARE ALL THE SAME SCAMMERS and you offer better deals for new customers than for loyal ones like I have been... If I didnt have to pay a high cancellation fee I would cancel TODAY...guess I have to wait another darn year.

• 1. $36 activation fee?!
    pharaoh0 Silver Expert

Unfortunately, the dreaded activation fee is back again.  It applies to all phones ... upgrades and new activations.  Last year, the activation fee was there; however, it was waived if you purchased online through Sprint.com.  I've been with Sprint for over 14 years and if you have been here for 10, then you know this activation fee business comes and goes.  For now, it is here.  Probably, in the future, it may change again. Although, I might just upgrade that Optimus S though and pay the fee...for what it's worth. 

• 2. Re: $36 activation fee?!
    VorlessDarkChaos Silver Expert

All carriers do charge activation fees,but that fee is only for new customers and current customers are only charge a upgrade fee and not a activation fee.

• 3. $36 activation fee?!
    Bob_McNoodlie Regular Visitor

VorlessDarkChaos wrote:

All carriers do charge activation fees,but that fee is only for new customers and current customers are only charge a upgrade fee and not a activation fee.

However, they both amount to the same thing... $36.

• 4. $36 activation fee?!
    SP_Clarissa Bronze Expert

Thanks for sharing your concerns on the forum.

There was previously an online promotion that waived the upgrade fee for orders placed through Sprint.com; however, this promotion is no longer available. The $36 upgrade fee applies to upgrading a current line and the $36 activation fee applies to new customers and new lines of service. The upgrade and activation fees are necessary to offset costs associated with activating new devices. One way to reduce the cost of upgrading to new devices is to utilize our buyback program www.sprintbuyback.com.

Thanks,

Clarissa

• 5. $36 activation fee?!

yea I meant upgrade fee...again thanks for nothing

• 6. $36 activation fee?!
    mandapanda71489 Newbie

Yeah it is very frustrating. But unfortunately, it's like this with all carriers. Did some research. Anywhere you go there's a $40 upgrade fee.

• 7. $36 activation fee?!
    spinaway Expert

This is why consumers need to get smart. First step: Get a Google Voice number and use that as your main number. Free yourself up to move from carrier to carrier even if your number isn't portable. Next time your contract ends and you have the opportunity to upgrade, call around to Sprint's competitors and see if they will waive the new user activation fee (or, look for sales on Amazon or Best Buy which often waives those fees). If they will, call Sprint and tell them you want to do away with their service, and tell them another carrier is offering you a better deal. Sprint is loyal to its bottom line - as are other carriers. Time for consumers to be loyal to our bottom lines, too.

• 8. $36 activation fee?!

They're working on luggage fees for data and voice

• 9. $36 activation fee?!

you all keep saying that other carriers charge that amount well i dont care about other carriers Im talking about as why Sprint raised theirs and I was not informed. Anyway thanks for everyone's input

• 10. $36 activation fee?!
    karki Newbie

I went through the same thing today. I was about to upgrade my phone and there I saw this $36 stuff when I almost hit the "check out" button!! I don't why do they have to charge $36 just to activate/upgrade our phone?????? When I asked them why, they said that they don't know as well!! There are the other websites that can do free upgrade and activation!!

• 11. $36 activation fee?!
    DONISAAK59 Newbie

What ****. Free money to sprint. They must be doing poorly to offer an iphone and to pi$$ off their loyal custumers. They are very greedy and have lost a lot of customers over the years becuase of their greed.

• 12. $36 activation fee?!
    MISTYBLUE25 Newbie

I'm right there with you! I have been a customer for 10 years and I WAS NOT NOTIFIED of the activation fee. I have upgrade my phone every 2 years since I started with Sprint and have never gotten a fee. I can appreciate that their policy has changed but at least notify me of the change. I have gotten absolutely no where with customer service changing this BS charge.

• 13. $36 activation fee?!
    LLH23 Newbie

I just got off the phone with escalated support and it's the same thing. They are gouging us, including 13+-year customers like me, with their recently DOUBLED activation fee for new phones. Just before September 2011, it was $18, now it's $36. How much does it cost to flip a switch? Furthermore, they have NO allowance for customer loyalty whatsoever now - before this month, I ALWAYS got that fee waived. THAT is how they differ from the other carriers, who as we know have the same gouging practice for upgrades. Others DO reward for loyalty.

QUESTION TO SPRINT: Does the $36 also apply to changing to another phone, say one that's already in your possession, which is not an upgrade?

• 14. $36 activation fee?!
    SP_Clarissa Bronze Expert

Hi LLH23,

If you are switching to a used device that was previously activated on the Sprint network then you would not be charged the upgrade fee.

Many upgrading/new customers take advantage of the Ready Now service which is offered at participating Sprint stores. This service helps customers to setup a new phone or to get familiar with the phone features and learn about all the things the new phone can do. Many stores are also able to transfer contact information over to the new phone. The upgrade/activation fees help with costs such as these. I understand that it could be difficult to pay the $36 upgrade fee if you previously had it waived under a promotion but these fees are standard charges throughout the wireless industry. 

We are grateful to have you as a Sprint customer and appreciate all of your feedback.

Sincerely,

Clarissa

1 2 3 20 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...