1 2 3 10 Previous Next 147 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2013 3:19 PM by Gioia999 RSS

How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch

Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

If you have trouble getting a GPS fix on your Epic 4g Touch. I am going to give you a few tips I find that gets the signal to lock faster. From my trouble shooting it seems like you can not have the phone in your hand. If you place the phone on a flat surface and do not move it chances are better it will get a gps fix. If the phone takes too long in one spot try moving it a few feet to the left or the right. I find that every time I pick the phone up the GPS signal drops drastically. Even though I can get it to lock the accuracy is never within 50 feet its usually 200 or so feet. You can also try using an app from the market called GPS test. GPS test will allow you to see how many satellites the phone sees, and how strong the connection is between the phone and the satellites. Hope this info helps anyone who is having problems with their GPS.

For those that do not know; location can be found via 3g, 4g or wifi but gps is accurate down to street level. Location is a relative position this is why Google maps can tell you your area without the GPS being on, but for voice navigation to work there must be a GPS signal.

• 1. How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch
    Silver Expert

Use GPS test to "clear AGPS" then "update AGPS" in the Menu->Settings in that app.  That's what fixes the GPS 99% of the time.  Samsung has an issue with clearing the cache for their GPS so it won't lock quickly if your phone hasn't been rebooted in a while.

• 2. How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch
    Valued Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doent work for me.

• 3. How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch
    Gioia999 Regular Visitor

I have only had this phone about 10 days, and the GPS is truly horrible.  I switched from an old Samsung Moment which has a perfectly working GPS capability ... I have a windshield mounted Garmin in my car, and the Moment and the Garmin would get a fix at about the same time.  The GPS in this Samsung Galaxy 2 Epic Touch NEVER really gets a GPS fix ... this means Google Maps is virtually worthless, and Navigation is completely worthless.  This is an unacceptable situation for a phone/radio this sophisticated.  Was this consumer tested?  Am I the only person who relies on the phone for directions?  I have done the GPS Test suggestions, clearing AGPS, etc .. no change at all.  This stinks!

• 4. How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch
    Abarth99 Regular Visitor

I agreed with Joe.  It doesn't work for me either.  The only way for my phone to get a quick lock is by power cycle the phone.  I tried the Quick Reboot app, clear memory in Task Manager.  Neither worked.

• 5. How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch
    Abarth99 Regular Visitor

Gioia999 wrote:

Was this consumer tested?

Lol...We are going through Samsung consumer testing phase right now.  The final product should be ready in a year.  What you didn't get the memo? 

• 6. How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch
    s.wolf Newbie

Boooooooooooooooooooo Samsung for putting such a ****-tastic GPS in my new phone. I was so excited to have the new phone, large beautiful screen, fast processor, etc, etc. My wife got the 4s and now she wipes the floor with my GSII. Embarrasing. CAN WE EXPECT A FIX ANYTIME SOON? I'm so ****** off. Day 18 of my new phone... just past the "trial" date.

• 7. How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch
    Gioia999 Regular Visitor

I have to give credit to Sprint and Samsung ... I just had an OTA update of firmware a day or so ago, and this problem has completly disappeared.  I now get GPS sync in a decent interval ... GPS test still shows low Signal to Noise figures, but this is a detail.  Just let the OTA update propogate to everyone else ... I will be interested to see if others have my same experience.  -- I do NOT work for Sprint, and have nothing riding on this. 

• 8. How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch
    Abarth99 Regular Visitor

I updated 3 days ago to EK02, problem still exist.  Beginning to think it is a hardware problem and no update will ever fix the weak GPS radio in this phone.

• 9. How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch
    rick.spencer Bronze Expert

Abarth99 wrote:

I updated 3 days ago to EK02, problem still exist.  Beginning to think it is a hardware problem and no update will ever fix the weak GPS radio in this phone.

Same here. I was hopeful that the GPS would improve with the update but so far its the same if not a little worse.  The other issues I've had, such as slow data speeds, would sometimes be on par with my EVO although not nearly as consistent.  The GPS has NEVER been good.  Sometimes I could get a lock by clearing the memory or restarting the phone but again it was very inconsistent.  The tech at the Sprint store told me I can't expect it to be as good as the EVO because they were different phones,(how profound I thought), and I should just put up with it.  I really want to like this phone but it reminds me of a classic car I once had, a "57 mga", it was beautiful but I couldn't keep it working.  I have read a few peoples posts that state their Epic touch GPS is working fine so maybe there's a bad batch of phones out there. I sure wish Sprint/Samsung would explain this.  If it is a confirmed hardware issue that cannot be fixed then I would be disappointed but at least I would know for sure and not have to keep guessing.

• 10. How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch
    Abarth99 Regular Visitor

I think the GPS problem is both software and hardware related.  Not being able to lock on to satellites without restarting the phone is a software issue.  Dropping lock quicky and not seeing as many satellites as my wife HTC Evo 3d is a hardware issue, IMO.

• 11. Re: How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch
    Jim-Oleson Newbie

I agree regarding the GPS quality (which is a software issue).

To get around this, go to the market and install "GPS Status". This tool gets a lock within 15 seconds usually (cold) and will force the cache to clear. Then open Google Maps and boom, you are there.

Edit: Not my software either. Just happened to have it installed and noticed it worked well.

• 12. How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch
    bsmaven Regular Visitor

I just got the update and my gps now is worse. This is ridiculous on a $200 phone. I was torn between I4s and this, ***? The Sprint guys in the store al had this phone, I went in today and they said a fix is coming. I heard that about my lg  which was messed up for 6 months and a fix never came. Does Sprint just sell crappy phones from their vendors withno oversight?

• 13. How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch
    bsmaven Regular Visitor

ok just powered down and phone and started up again and gps fixed and seems to work.

• 14. How to Get a GPS Fix On Epic 4g Touch
    s.wolf Newbie
    Well... after going round and round and round with telephone customer service, and in-store techs... trying to be patiently optimistic about seeing resolution with the absolutely horrible GPS performance in my new Epic -- I got completely brick walled by Sprint's "resolution manager" earlier this evening. All this talk about "you won't get stuck with a phone that doesn't perform to certain standards" and "try this" and "try that" boiled down to them actually admitting this brand new, top of the line Epic 4g Touch has a KNOWN GPS antennae issue that for some reason... I should have known about as part of MY due diligence in researching prior to my purchase. He literally said (when comparing the Epic's GPS functions between current smartphones) "it's like buying a Ford Focus and expecting it to drive as fast as a Ferrari on the Autobahn". So I should have expected to have a horrible GPS antennae in my brand new top-of-the-line smartphone?! All I could do was laugh at him. Such horse honkey. My wife's iPhone KILLS the Epic in terms of GPS. It is laughable. "Your current location is temporarily unavailable" says my Epic. Meanwhile her phone has GPS locked to within 5 meters CONSISTANTLY.

Completely unsatisfied to say the least.

1 2 3 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...