13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2012 9:57 AM by luvmynexus RSS

When is the Nexus S 4G getting the android 4.0 upgrade? and why did Nexus S get it first?

8652007741 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I dont understand why Nexus S 4g has not get update but the 3g tmobile version has! I really think google made a promise that all nexus owners get fast updates I think they should update ALL ( nexus one, nexus s, nexus s 4g and galaxy nexus) at the same time as we all are nexus customers for the same reason

• 1. When is the Nexus S 4G getting the android 4.0 upgrade? and why did Nexus S get it first?
    phefner79 Expert

Well, I hate to break it to you, but until Google solves this little "fragmentation" issue (which they can't even seem to get under control with their own Nexus phones)...you'll see more of this.

As for updates for the NS4G, it's coming. Maybe today, because Android was making some big announcement today on their Google+ page. Google has also released the binaries for the 4.0.3 update to the NS4G into the main Android repository. So it's coming soon...again, maybe today.

The Nexus One won't be getting ICS (officially) simply because it does't have enough ROM space. It only has 512MB, and some of that is shared with the user. Rest assured that someone will find a way to port ICS to it though.

• 2. When is the Nexus S 4G getting the android 4.0 upgrade? and why did Nexus S get it first?
    SmurfinTruck2011 Valued Member

If you dont have 4G like most of the people out there then just go get the ported version from T-Mobils Nexus S.  You will lose 4G abilities but like i said for most of us we dont have it anyways so it wont matter.

• 3. Re: When is the Nexus S 4G getting the android 4.0 upgrade? and why did Nexus S get it first?
    phefner79 Expert

If the OP is rooted, just go ahead and download the oICS ROM from ROM Manager. It's the latest ICS version (4.0.3) and runs pretty well, and has working WiMAX. It has been built specifically with the official google binaries for the ICS on the NS4G

• 4. Re: When is the Nexus S 4G getting the android 4.0 upgrade? and why did Nexus S get it first?
    V8B8 Newbie

As far as I know, the T-Mobile version is GSM, meaning it is pretty much the same as all the international versions.  The Nexus S 4G on sprint is CDMA, with WiMAX, which adds additional testing and drivers to the mix, delaying the update.  Also, sprint is notorious for slowing down the process of upgrades on phones.  It's not all Samsung's fault, the international versions of their phones get updates very quickly typically.  Versions on US carriers (notably Sprint) tend to lag about 6-10 months behind.  With a Nexus phone, at least you don't have to wait as long as everybody that bought something skinned with added sprint functionality (cough bloatware).

• 6. When is the Nexus S 4G getting the android 4.0 upgrade? and why did Nexus S get it first?
    brentcotton Regular Visitor

The update is not a Google issue it is a sprint issue. Because Sprint locks the phone to their network and requires certain software be put on their device it causes the fragmentation. there is 3 parts to android updates Google's when they release a new version they are done with their part, next the phone maker(ie samsung, HTC, Moto) they have to rewrite their overlay(touchwiz, ect) and software to work with the new updated OS. The Nexus phones skip the hardware makers step as Nexus is pure android. However the 3rd step is the carriers the carriers have to approve the update and if their software and applications that they require on their phones isn't compatible then you must wait for Sprint to invest the resources to update their software before they will push out the update.

Conclusion the update delay is 100% sprints fault.

note:it has nothing to do with gsm or cdma. verizon uses cdma and they were the first network to have ICS.

If verizon integrated Google Voice like sprint does I would be gone from this network in a minute. keep innovating and partnering sprint that's the only way you'll keep me as a customer.

• 7. When is the Nexus S 4G getting the android 4.0 upgrade? and why did Nexus S get it first?

brentcotton you dont understand how the Google phone works.  The Nexus S 4G being a Google Dev phone and Android at its vinilla flavor the only people that are slowing this down is Google.  The nexus S 4G has none of the Sprint Bloatware on it.  Google is waiting till the Nexus LTE is released on the network before they give the Nexus S 4G the official ICS update as they dont want to kill off their sales for the new phone.  Sprint will delete my post more than likely for saying this but just unlock the bootloader and put a custom ICS ROM on it if you want it sooner than what Google will give it to you (becuase this is a Dev phone and is made for it).  FYI brentcotton if you look at other threads you will see that the binaries for the Nexus S 4G are on Googles code site for 4.0.3 and as i said this phone gets all its updates from Google NOT Sprint.

• 8. Re: When is the Nexus S 4G getting the android 4.0 upgrade? and why did Nexus S get it first?

Smurfintruck,

you are well off base:

1st: Anyone with a Nexus S 4G from Sprint can simply go to manage apps and select the running apps tap, right there on the list is sprints bloatware running called "com.android.sprintmenu

2nd Google has already launched their LTE Nexus on Verizon The Nexus Galaxy. Also as the OP mentioned ICS is already available on T-Mobiles version of the Nexus S.

3rd Google doesn't care about selling a new phone, Goggle doesn't make money off people buying Android or Nexus phones, they make money off people using Android(from ads, music/movies/apps/book downloads, and it also provides them with wifi data for their map service). There is a huge disincentive for Google not to offer Android users their latest and greatest software(hurting their OS), and little to no interest in selling a new phone.

4th Google has nothing to do with pushing the updates out to customers. first off it's over Sprints airwaves so technically they control it, however it is the hardware manufacturer that pushes it(samsung in the Nexus S 4G case).

5th You completely contradict your self by saying Google wants to sell phones so they're not making it available, then you turn around and say that Google is making everything completely available on their code site, how dumb is that. I think you don't understand how Android, Google, Hardware developers, and Cellular providers work.

You do make a good point about wanting to sell the new phone but that is in the interest of Sprint and potentially Samsung or at least an agreement between both (Samsung want to sell phones but they also want their phones up-to-date, ie. nexus S update; Sprint spends money marketing new phones and makes some money from phone sales. Sprint negotiates with Samsung when updates are release.)

(and as a side note if Sprint allows my comment to stay up and your original hack comment from a month ago I don't think you need to worry about getting your post removed)

• 9. Re: When is the Nexus S 4G getting the android 4.0 upgrade? and why did Nexus S get it first?

BTW Sprint I shouldn't have to hack my phone to get new updates that are available on every other network this is why you suck and are bleeding -.84 cents a share and can't get anyone(exaggeration) on your stupid network.

• 10. When is the Nexus S 4G getting the android 4.0 upgrade? and why did Nexus S get it first?

I am not going to waste my breath (other than this last post) trying to teach someone about a GOOGLE DEV PHONE!!!!!! Yes the Nexus is on VERISON not SPRINT so once you realize just because one carrier has it does't mean google will release the update to all phones....unless you work for them.  Go to xda-developers and do some research about the Nexus S 4G which is sprint VARIATION of the Nexus S and not controlled by Sprint.  http://code.google.com/android/nexus/drivers.html#crespo4g
    go to that link and scroll down a bit and you will see the binaries from sprint and samsung which GOOGLE uses for the phone! and if you notice on the Nexus S 4G under about phone sprints stuff is seperate from the firmware reason being it gets its updates from Google.  Anyone with any kind of knowledge about Google Dev Phones knows that when your dealing with vanilla Android google is the only one in control of the update and as this is a dev phone its made for roming if you want and its easy to do.  Once again go to xda-developers and do some research before attacking someone about an update.

• 11. Re: When is the Nexus S 4G getting the android 4.0 upgrade? and why did Nexus S get it first?

The reason you have to hack/unlock your phone is because Sprint does control the phone. The firmware is updated from Samsung, buddy, you're right that it is kept separate from the Sprint app(although any update may cause sprints app not to work properly). Google makes their OS available to their hardware partners(samsung) and their partner pushes it out regardless of the model nexus/droid/galaxy/rezound/evo.

I get that you are much more technically sauve then myself, but you're misinformed regarding the business aspect(who does what), and i understand exactly what you are talking about and suggesting.

The only way Samsung can push it to phones is over Sprints airwaves with Sprints OK. Samsung wants to continue to do business with Sprint. So if Sprint says (for example) we will spent $100,000 marketing your new LTE or 3D or whatever phone, but we want to hold off on the ICS update so that is a new feature, then guess what Samsung says "ok". But this conversation doesn't even happen, it goes like this: Samsung: "hey Sprint ICS is out and its ready for Nexus 4G S, do you want to push it", Sprint: "not yet, after we launch our new phone". Both companies already know what each others interest are and they don't ruffle feathers too much cause they are partners.

Also the Nexus might be a DEV PHONE but it as sold as a consumers device, you can't just download ICS and install, you have to hack/unlock your device.

• 12. Re: When is the Nexus S 4G getting the android 4.0 upgrade? and why did Nexus S get it first?
    wsu87 Valued Member

LOL brentcotton you have no idea what you're talking about. As has been proven in other threads on this forum, sprint gives their coding for proper radio functioning to google and google then releases the finalized version of updates. doesn't matter who owns the 'air waves', but where the SOURCE is (google, in this case). There is no BLOATWARE on the nexus s 4g, perhaps you don't know what 'bloatware' means, but 'com.sprintmenu.android' is NOT bloatware. it's a background operation for updating PRL and profile to attain signal for your phone. BLOATWARE means UNWANTED SPRINT BRANDED APPLICATIONS like sprint nascar...do some RESEARCH.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points