This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2012 12:13 AM by RKOEHLER001 RSS

Mobile Hotspot On iPhone 4S

GeorgeFernando67 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I'm new member here. I would like to know if mobile hotspot is available on the iPhone 4S? If yes, what is the pricing?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Mobile Hotspot On iPhone 4S
    JoJo0401 Sprint Employee

Mobile hotspot is supported on the iphone 4s. The monthly cost is $29.99 and provides you 5GB of data when used as a wifi hotspot. The iphone 4s will have the capabilities of supporting up to 5 wifi capable devices connecting to the hotspot at any one time. Hope this helps!

• 2. Mobile Hotspot On iPhone 4S
    rmelzer1986 Newbie

Are you able to tether to your computer and use it as web access at no charge? I can do this on my HTC Hero, and I would imagine only the hotspot would have a fee, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

• 3. Re: Mobile Hotspot On iPhone 4S
    GeorgeFernando67 Newbie

JoJo0401  thanks for your reply, what if I go over the alloted data cap? what are the overage fees? Thanks

@rmelzer198: I want to use it as a wi-fi hostpot while travelling

• 4. Re: Mobile Hotspot On iPhone 4S
    JoJo0401 Sprint Employee

Hi GeorgeFernando67! The overage on the 5GB is $0.05 per MB (there are 1024MB in 1GB). Sorry for the delayed response.

and rmelzer1986, Sprint no longer supports tethering service...thats not to say there haven't been people who have attempted to find away around the system but currently there is not an option for tethering with or without a charge.

• 5. Re: Mobile Hotspot On iPhone 4S
    rmelzer1986 Newbie

Okay, thank you

• 6. Mobile Hotspot On iPhone 4S
    LUISFROCHA Newbie

I think I've read the answer somewhere, but the 5 GB is separate from the unlimited data of the plan, right? If I get the hotspot option, it won't suddenly cut my plan down to only 5 GB?

• 7. Mobile Hotspot On iPhone 4S
    Slickpig Regular Visitor

Also, one very important "hidden" feature of Sprint is that you can turn the mobile hot spot on and off at will on your sprint website account and the cost is one $1 per day you have it turned on, you will not be charged the whole $29.99 when you turn it on. I do this once or twice a month (on my Evo3d) when I need it for a trip or a weekend, and it only costs me a couple bucks. On your bill, you'll see the full charge, then a credit for the unused portion. It's fantastic, another reason I could never switch from Sprint! So the correct answer is NOT $30 a month, but rather $1 perday activated,  big difference.

• 8. Mobile Hotspot On iPhone 4S
    lilgeekygirl Bronze Expert

LUISFROCHA, The 5gb cap is for the hotspot feature only and will not change the unlimited data included in your plan.

• 9. Mobile Hotspot On iPhone 4S
    Regular Visitor

But you will still be charged for overages.  So if you decide to activate it for a weekend road trip you will still need to monitor the amount used.  You can reach 5GB's pretty quick if you have the kids in the back watching videos for this road trip. 

At $.05 a MB, you will suffer overage costs of  $51.20 a GB.  This overage cost is 5x what other providers charge you

Slickpig wrote:

Also, one very important "hidden" feature of Sprint is that you can turn the mobile hot spot on and off at will on your sprint website account and the cost is one $1 per day you have it turned on, you will not be charged the whole $29.99 when you turn it on. I do this once or twice a month (on my Evo3d) when I need it for a trip or a weekend, and it only costs me a couple bucks. On your bill, you'll see the full charge, then a credit for the unused portion. It's fantastic, another reason I could never switch from Sprint! So the correct answer is NOT $30 a month, but rather $1 perday activated,  big difference.

• 10. Mobile Hotspot On iPhone 4S
    sweetest1307 Newbie

Where do I go on the site to turn off and on the hotspot feature for $1 a day? Will I receive some sort of notification or email when I'm getting close to my 5gb or is there somewhere I can see how much I've used?

• 11. Mobile Hotspot On iPhone 4S
    Slickpig Regular Visitor

log into your sprint.com account, under your devices, choose, change services. On the next screen scroll down and choose, mobile hotspot 29.99. You'll get a conformation screen stating your total cost for add-on services, mine says 39.99, 10 for premium data and 29.99 for hotspot, click finished making changes, and your done. You'll get an email about the change to your account. You can check your data usage back under your devices screen, to tje right of your phone click, see all usage, then pick data. I think its a little behind on the amount of data used, so if your getting close be careful, it might be a day behind. I never come close to 5gb so I'm not sure if you get a notice, I would assume a text msg, but a quick call to customer service would answer that question. When your done with the hotspot, just do the reverse, and remove the hotspot from your account, you'll get another email about the change to your account, then some crazy credits on your bill, 29.99 - days used etc, but it works great for me! $3 for a weekend of mobile hotspot is awesome. Also, I've done this from my evo3d, kinda tough on a small screen, but possible. Finally, don't blame me if they change their policy, I used it on jan 3rd 2012, and it worked, you can always verify with sprint customer service if your concerned,  but the sprint csr was the one who told me about it Enjoy!

• 12. Re: Mobile Hotspot On iPhone 4S
    RKOEHLER001 Newbie

Will cell phone companies (including our carrier Sprint) EVER STOP nickle and dime'ing the consumer to death?  We already pay an extra $10/mo. for data.  Then if we want to use our cell phone as a "Hot Spot" (not sure why you would want to because 3G is still horribly slow) Sprint is going to charge us another $29.99/mo. ??? And this only gets you 5GB of data?!  What happened to "Avoid a data dilemma" Sprint?  What a joke.  I will be looking forward to the federal government passing legislation against all these absurd fees!  Shame on Sprint and all the other carriers.  One other point; cable modems with up and down speeds of 10 and 15 meg are only  $29.99 - $39.99/mo. in almost every region.  Why not just opt to have your cable company come out, set up service and buy an inexpensive access point for $14.99 (one-time fee)?

Dan Hesse should be taken out of corporate in silver bracelets.  Judging from all the antitrust and class action lawsuits on top of losing millions of subscribers sounds like he may not be employed their much longer.  If Sprint employees monitor this message board I would encourage you to shoot this little morsel to the top brass within Sprint.  Secondly, I would challenge any employee at Sprint to attempt a defense of your companies ridiculous billing practices and policies.

Incredibly disenfranchised,

Rob Koehler

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...