1 2 3 8 Previous Next 112 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2012 11:38 PM by mmark27_ RSS

1/25 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29

dshoem01 Gold Expert
Currently Being Moderated

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Security update

- Dismissing multiple calendar alerts

- Commercial Alert System (CMAS) activated

Important Notes:

- Software version is: S:D710.10S.EL29

- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within approximately 10 days

- Refer to the Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Updates for install instructions

Message was edited by: dshoem01 - 1/26, correct sw version number

• 1. 1/25 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29
    Silver Expert

And before anyone asks....the "Security Update" part is for sure the removal of Carrier IQ or CIQ if you've been following the news.  This does include updated modems and such as well that isn't in the highly detailed notes that Sprint is offering above.

• 2. 1/25 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29
    Silver Expert

And here's s review of EL29 for the timid:

• 3. 1/25 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29
    mrcminnesota Expert

I am not trying to be rude but why the push to release this version when it does not appear to fix defects (the only thing I really see is probably for Carrier IQ) and I have read that there is some data speed slowing as well as more gps issues related to this version. This phone has already a history of gps issues and who wants to reintroduce data speed issues (mine has improved somewhat with the previous version). Why not fix the issues that many customers have with this phone?

• 4. 1/25 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29
    m3jia Valued Member

mmark27_ wrote:

And before anyone asks....the "Security Update" part is for sure the removal of Carrier IQ or CIQ if you've been following the news.  This does include updated modems and such as well that isn't in the highly detailed notes that Sprint is offering above.

I've given up on posting defects and issues, unless it's affecting Sprint cancelations I really doubt they care. There are a bunch of defect/requests that Samsung just won't get done.

• 5. Re: 1/25 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29
    Silver Expert

mrcminnesota wrote:

I am not trying to be rude but why the push to release this version when it does not appear to fix defects (the only thing I really see is probably for Carrier IQ) and I have read that there is some data speed slowing as well as more gps issues related to this version. This phone has already a history of gps issues and who wants to reintroduce data speed issues (mine has improved somewhat with the previous version). Why not fix the issues that many customers have with this phone?

Agreed.  There was a version EL26 that made its way out before EL29 (not to an official OTA) and it did improve the speed, but it drained the battery life significantly.  This EL29 does improve the Bluetooth stack, reportedly, as well as the sound.pool issues that were causing games to crash.  It's unfortunate that Sprint is not more forthcoming with what they know about these defects and software fixes.  Most likely they don't report them because they have no idea what's going on, which is evident in the small amount of rep interaction even on this forum, the official Sprint company community.  It always amazes me that fixes like "Dismissing Multiple Calendar Events" is press worthy for the release when 99.99999% of the users NEVER SAW THIS ISSUE.  It is not mentioned once on this forum....again the official Sprint company community.  However, there are thousands of replies about the GPS, yet not a peep from Sprint.  The GPS sucks on this device, quite frankly.  It works, sure, but reliably, NO.  If this were the iphone, they'd be all over it.  That's just the truth.

I will have to say their biggest ally in this mess is the development community.  To highlight, the discontinued HP Touchpad from September now has an ICS release for it that is fabulous and it's only an Alpha release.  There are very talented people working on Android.  LEVERAGE these people to help make your product stand out from the crowd and be perfect.  Don't wall it all up and turn out sub-par releases.

• 6. 1/25 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29
    MoPho2011 Valued Member

I'm confused...I've received NO updates...and they refuse to push them through. I  have had this since 9/2011 and have NEVER been able to "update Android" or "update Firmware"....wth??  My Epic Touch looks NOTHING like this! They say I have to take it to a store for updating...I NEVER go to stores...all online. Why have a smartphone when I can't use it to UPDATE ITSELF???? Furious!

• 7. 1/25 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29
    m3jia Valued Member

MoPho2011 wrote:

I'm confused...I've received NO updates...and they refuse to push them through. I  have had this since 9/2011 and have NEVER been able to "update Android" or "update Firmware"....wth??  My Epic Touch looks NOTHING like this! They say I have to take it to a store for updating...I NEVER go to stores...all online. Why have a smartphone when I can't use it to UPDATE ITSELF???? Furious!

What version are you on now?

• 8. Re: 1/25 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29
    acidic-e- Valued Member

first off if you have done some more research this EL29 update from sprint does actually look to be a bit different then what was leaked by Samobile about 3 weeks ago.  The baseband is actually a different build from looks of it as well.  Granted the EL29 that was leaked could of had debugging left on but that could also effect other things or it could also be this is a totally different EL29 build for the phone does that same day with minor changes.  As for GPS issues I've yet to have 1 single problem with mine also Do not ***** at Sprint for GPS issues you need to raise **** with samsung if you are having them.  The GPS problems are not a Sprint issue in the least but how Samsung does things period.  Lets face it samsung makes great phones but their Radios and such are totally trash and work half of the time.  In all honesty Motorola/HTC make better radio's then Samsung when it comes to a CDMA phone maybe samsung should use theirs instead seriously since that's part of the problem right there.

Also this does do other things then just remove CIQ as well.  If that's all this build did it could of been released over a month ago as EL13 (since that was the first leaked build out of samsung that had CIQ officially removed as well)  This does have other fixes that Sprint just does not put in there nor does samsung for that matter.  Things have changed in the rom period.  incoming call screen is totally different now as well as icons that have been updated to match other software (like the Note and such) This is not just a CIQ removal build for the phone and people need to stop thinking that this is all this update is bringing you cause it is NOT the truth.

• 9. Re: 1/25 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29
    MoPho2011 Valued Member

I'm at EK02. Just spent an hour on phone with Sprint techs, who told me to go to a store.  Not going to a store!  This is why I have a smartphone, for CONVENIENCE.

Nothing works to update it, not anything. Three people tried sending codes or something, I still get "software up to date" when trying to update Android.

Got a call in to Samsung. I want this phone replaced. While talking about the issue, it abruptly disconnected, to add insult to injury. I've received NO updates at all other than PRL and Profile since I got it, and I try -- regularly.

• 10. 1/25 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29
    Silver Expert

Relax man, everyone is on ek02. Just be patient. It'll push.

• 11. 1/25 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29
    Panzer06 Bronze Expert

Well you got at least one update because EK02 was an update.  EL29 will arrive over the next few days so you'll be fine if you want it. 

Cheers,

MoPho2011 wrote:

I'm at EK02. Just spent an hour on phone with Sprint techs, who told me to go to a store.  Not going to a store!  This is why I have a smartphone, for CONVENIENCE.

Nothing works to update it, not anything. Three people tried sending codes or something, I still get "software up to date" when trying to update Android.

Got a call in to Samsung. I want this phone replaced. While talking about the issue, it abruptly disconnected, to add insult to injury. I've received NO updates at all other than PRL and Profile since I got it, and I try -- regularly.

• 12. 1/25 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29
    MoPho2011 Valued Member

well, some already have it. I want some features that are shown on EL26, that I never received. Was I supposed to get that update, or did people go download it. i am not going to root my phone, I'm too ignorant of things to trust that. I DO want the current version of the  $600 phone I have, and I expect it ASAP. I mean, I came here because of a Sprint tweet about it, so I expected to "Update Android" easily. I spent an hour on the phone with techs going "DUH, I don't know why you can't get it", and they all seem gobsmacked that I was only on EK02. So yes, I want, I want it now, I want the dialer shown that others have, I want the calling icons that look and behave differently..basically, I want this phone to be CURRENT. And I'm darned hacked off that people are throwing it in my face that they have it -- and I don't.

Annoyed with Sprint, with Samsung.... just annoyed. Sick of Sprint kicking me around, being sneaky, hiding things, eliminating programs, dreaming up stupid charges, and being just generally freaking a pain. Don't tweet that the update is available if I can't do it -- And do NOT tell me to go to a store! I'm in Texas, where a store can be hundreds of miles from where I am using my phone. Give me a break.

I never thought I'd say I wish I'd gotten one of those irritatingly proprietary Iphones instead, but they SURE are easy to update.

Just update the phone, that's all I ask for my $600 bucks and the doubling of my bill since I bought my "smartphone" that is apparently too stupid to update itself, even if I push it. 

Ready to throw this thing against a wall and go buy a iphone.

• 13. Re: 1/25 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29
    Panzer06 Bronze Expert

This is not Apple with their stranglehold on the hardware and software.  The carriers have little to no say on how Apple rolls out updates.  It's controlled and handled by Apple so when an update is available you can easily retrieve it via itunes if you don't want to wait for the OTA (which only recently became possible with 5.x)  Android on the other hand does not have this.  It runs on many different hardware platforms and updates are staggered by the carriers to minimize problems on their networks.  EL29 just was released.  You'll get it when you get it or you'll drive all over TX ... end of story.

If you're tired of Sprint and their practices move on to another carrier.  As with any product or service you can choose who you do business with. 

Cheers,

• 14. Re: 1/25 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29
    acidic-e- Valued Member

First of all EL26 was NOT and official release it was a "leaked" build that was released nothing more No one on Sprint unless you rooted your phone used EL26.  So no you were not supossed to get that update at all.  EK02 was the only OFFICIAL OTA ever released for this phone till the now EL29 update.

As for throwing it in your face that others have it.  In all honesty you sound like someone that thinks just cause you spent money on something you are "entitled" to everything when that's not the case.  Look at ANY cell phone company that rolls out updates over the air and you will see they do it in stages to not impact the users on the network and half millions of people downloading an update all at the same time.  You need to learn to have some patience first and foremost as well.  Also as for the iPhone comment you do realise that Apple does the updates themselves and you are locked to iTunes in order to do that.  Also in that same respect lets say you did get a iPhone 4s and you didn't update for say over a year and the new model came out with a new version of iOS.  My guess is you would want it then and there but sadly you would STILL be waiting for it since even Apple does not update all of their products at the same time (it's uncommon but it has happened) or they drop the older device and force you to update to the new model to get that latest iOS build.

As the tweet said yes it's being rolled out that's it as of today "it's being rolled out over the next 10 days"  I actually rolled my phone BACK to EK02 just to see if I had it so I could strip the baseband from it since it's new and I don't even have the update yet.  But I'm also not the one acting like I'm "entitled" when I spent just as much as you for a new phone.  Relax sit back and chill out and learn some patience and if you are ready to throw it against a wall and go get an iPhone please do us all the favor and go over to the iPhone I'm sure you will still find things to complain about with that as well.

P.S.

Oh and MoPho I had EL29 cause I rooted my phone.  Also What I said was not throwing it in your face I was stating there are other changes then just a CIQ removal which Samsung does NOT even tell you about.

1 2 3 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...