This discussion is archived
1 5 6 7 8 9 12 Previous Next 180 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2012 1:14 PM by dshoem01 Go to original post RSS
  • 90. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    11JMGUADAGNOLI6 Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

LilGeekyGirl,

I used the tutorial on Sprint.com that walks us through the back up. If you need the link, I'll find it again later and repost.  As it is, I backed up my "contacts" to my SD card, but only one of several hundered were backed up!  Amazing!  (and not in the positive sense of the word).  (grins)

• 91. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    JJC-FL Valued Member

I can't agree more, this is very frustrating and upsetting, but stop beating up the first level support, they can only do so much. I would recommend you send a message to sprint Managment, I love the Epic and I have no real problems with Sprint, yes service could be better, the big 4G promise that never was fully implemented etc. I would contact the board of directors. http://www.sprint.com/governance/board/

Let the board now your issues (professionally please, ranting raving etc is not going to get you what you want).

I am sure things will work out one way or another if you are calm and cool when you send your message.

• 92. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30

Yeah, they would not let me access your message PinaColada7.  But I see you did repost it. 

• 93. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30

Let's see; six days of not being able to receive calls or voice mails unless i do a hard boot, and then i can only retrieve the voice mail messages.  This is a social type networking to voice our frustrations about the inability to get satisfactory service.  I highly doubt (m)any of us would rant and rave to the board of directors, without using couth, of course.  There are ways to rant and rave without acting belligerently. 

• 94. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    WYLDBRRY1 Regular Visitor

I am also having this problem with my Samsung. This is very disappointing.  I can't afford to spend the next two days getting my set up again after a hard reset.  But I also can't get to a Sprint store before saturday. So basically I can't recieve calls until then. I honestly don't care whose fault it is. I just think a fix needs to happen now, without inconveniencing customers.

If this is being caused by an app, does any one know which one yet. Maybe we should all post what apps we have installed? Or is that a waste of time? May a Sprint person can tell me...

• 95. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    PhysicsGuru Expert

WYLDBRRY1, make sure you have everything not saved to the sd card backed up, (contacts, calendar events, call logs & texts if needed) and give us a call at 800.927.2199 and let the agent know that you would like to perform a RTN. A RTN factory reset is the same reset Sprint and Asurion does to wipe devices and is more through then the Factory Reset option in the menu structure. The RTN process will ask you for a code that only a sprint rep can provide. This should fix your problem.

If you are concerned about setting up your device just they way you like it again, you should check out MyBackUp or Titanium Backup. These apps can backup and restore your settings, but because they are third party apps, I cannot recommend them in an official capacity. This should get you back up and running in less then an hour. -T.

• 96. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    Rob_71 Newbie

Another broken Epic here.         

• 97. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    shadyhill79 Newbie

PhysicsGuru, I have an UNROOTED Epic 4G, because if I root the device, apparently it will void the warranty.  I can ONLY backup all of my data using the apps you mentioned IF I have a rooted phone. Please direct us to Sprint approved instructions to root our phones so we may...

1. Pay money to buy an app

2. Backup all of our data

3. Then wipe our phone

4. Then restore our apps and data

To fix an issue that was caused by Sprint/Samsung/Google (I don't really care which one, all I know is that it was not caused by us - the affected and frustrated customers).

Thank you in advance for your reply and assistance.

• 98. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    THEREALDC110 Regular Visitor

After a hard reset 2 days ago and phone working fine it is now back to not receiving incomming calls.

• 99. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    OCTAVIVS Newbie

Sadly, I now have the same problem. Phone updated this morning and phone locks up on incoming calls and says force close. I lose the call, but strangely my phone stays linked to my car's bluetooth and I also lose control of my car's computer (2011 Honda Pilot) without turning the phone off or the car off. After the last update, I lost text messaging sound notification and it only vibrates which I don't notice. I told my wife to call me instead and now I can't get her calls. This is a serious safety issue. I hate to do a factory reset since setting up the microsoft exchange for encrypted email for work was a nightmare. Hopefully there will be a fix soon. Otherwise I may have to buyout my contract and switch to verizon. I have had Sprint for 4 years, but this is the worst phone I have ever had for reliability and dropped calls. Just figured I would add my name to the list of customers with phone problems.

• 100. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    WYLDBRRY1 Regular Visitor

Uh...okay thanks. I may try that. However, my question was whether those of us having issues should offer you Sprint folks and your Samsung contact a bit more info given that:

1. previous posts by sprint reps have suggested that not everyone is having issues.

2. the issue is likely caused by a conflict with a downloaded 3rd party app

I'm just wondering if we gave you a list of our apps would that help you all locate the supposed "conflict culprit" or rule it out if there isn't one? If Talking Tomcat or one his buds is hijacking this update it might help ya'll find a fix faster, no?

I just hear lots of folks complaining but nobody offering up info to help you find a way to OTA fix what was OTA broken.

Just offering up a little cooperation action rather than everybody spitting at you guys on this thread for another week or so.

Happy to post mine if it will help.

• 101. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    adopt4him1 Regular Visitor

Tonight was my 3rd trip to the Sprint Repair store.  A little background:  I got the update at noon on Sunday.  Since then no incoming calls and no voicemail.  Two facory resets and a cashe wipe and  I can now get incoming calls but  my email is not currently coming in.  After the second reset I didn't reload any of my apps or change any of the settings.  It is right out of the box - stock except for adding my email account... possibly the reason my email now isn't working?.  I have had 6 conversations to the Sprint customer service, three trips to the Sprint Store and 2 calls to Samsung.  I do have a return mail for Samsung to send the phone in because it is still under warranty.

J, a God, at the C, MN  store restored all 311 of my contacts that went missing and shared with me that Sprint has opened an investigation as of yesterday, Jan 23.  Once the investigation becomes a 'known issue' Sprint stores will be able to give customers new phones in exchange for the malfunctioning ones.  Until then, you will pay $35 for a new phone if you don't carry insurance, regardless if the phone is under warranty or not.  It is interresting to me that if Sprint knows enough to open an investigation, yesterday, why people are still getting the update this morning?  They know it is a problem and continue to roll out the update.

For now I am going to wait it out and see if this becomes a 'known issue'.  I can still use my Samsung return if I need to but don't want to be without a phone for 6-10 days.  I would rather a Sprint guy hand me one over the counter that I don't have to pay for.

• 102. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    FAIL_PHIL_FAIL Regular Visitor

Another victim here, two hours last night with three different sprint peeps. I thinl the PRL updates never really happen, but don't know WTH is going on. Circling June 1st on my calendar - contract over date - been a nice 12 years sprint - good luck with this whole cell phone company thing...

• 103. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    RSPC Expert

No update for me yet.

just a quick FYI if you factory reset.

you can view and restore the apps you ever downloaded by going to the Google Android Market on your PC, log in, click on "my library"  It will say they are all installed already, but you can just click and have them reinstalled. Its one at a time, but much faster than doing it from your phone.

• 104. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    QCAZDad Newbie

Same Same here.  Never bothered calling anybody because I know the answer from a history of dead end calls to customer support.  I switched from Verizon and it's been the worst 18 months of phone service I have ever had.  Customer service is garbage, phone service is even worse...  Samsung and Sprint both at fault for not field testing their updates properly.  We aren't your lab rats Sprint.

1 5 6 7 8 9 12 Previous Next