This discussion is archived
1 22 23 24 25 26 28 Previous Next 410 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2012 7:05 PM by PrattEpic Go to original post RSS
  • 345. Gingerbread GPS Issues
    MIchaelWEnd Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

Just want to let everyone know, I applied the OTA this morning to an unrooted stock epic. The GPS is working... somewhat. If you use Telenav the GPS signal stays active the whole time, if you use any other program (Navigon or Google Navigation) after about 5 minutes the phone loses the GPS signal just as always before. Here is the kicker though, if you go out of the program and reopen it finds the GPS signal again and starts working normally (for about another 5 minutes). I downloaded and installed GPS Status and it shows 9-11 satelites with a lock on 4 or 5 consistently. No reboots today since I installed at 7 this morning. I spoke to Sprint at the Bayshore NY repair center, they privately acknowleged the problem and gave me the number for Smasung Epic support (877-392-4252) Samsung was kind enough to send me a prepaid UPS 2 day return authorization for the phone, though they say the don't know of any problem with the phone they would be more than happy to repair it becuse it's still under full warranty with them (2yrs from purchase). I was considering that before the OTA came in this morning, but now it looks likw I will stick with Telenav.

• 346. Gingerbread GPS Issues
    epicowner Regular Visitor

SenseiMP wrote:

FYI -- anyone who has installed the GPS (via GPS_Fix.zip over at the XDA site) will have their EL30 update fail with a status 7 error.

However, it looks like adelmundo over at xda-developers has provided a Remove_GPS_Fix.zip file, which can be installed via clockworkmod, in order to put the old gpsd file back -- so that EL30 can be installed:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=21782574&postcount=86

Question:  This removes the gpsfix file from the phone that has the gpsfix.zip installed, right?  But how do we get old EI22 gpsd file back on the phone so the E30 update can be installed?

• 347. Gingerbread GPS Issues
    SamsungSux Regular Visitor

re: note # 345 from Someguy with an Epic. 

So your note also seems to confirm that the EL30 update doesn't address the GPS issues.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but - their kind offer doesn't seem too kind or nice to me.  They aren't acknowledging a problem (no surprise there; neither does Sprint).  They do not need to repair your phone, as many of us have discovered it's a software fix, not a hardware fix. 

So you'll send them your phone; you'll be without a phone for days or weeks (depending on availability of replacement phones); they'll send you a refurbished phone.  Which may or may not still have the GPS problem. 

I'd think long and hard before going down that path.

Ed

• 348. Gingerbread GPS Issues
    coasterphotos Bronze Expert

epicowner wrote:

Hey Coaster,

Looks like loads of users are now benefitting  from your posted gpsfix procedure.  Notice that lately, since OTA update EL30 has been released, users are reporting that, after having installed gpsfix.zip from the proc, the OTA update is failing with a status error.  According to what youve written, OTA updates should NOT be having a problem if the steps were followed correctly.. Do you have any insights as to why these OTA updates are failing on gpsfixed phones?

It was thought by many people that it wouldn't matter, but in fact it does. And that is the risk of installing unofficial files on your phone. The latest update checks for the correct size of the gpsd file and since the "fixed" one is different, it fails.

You can unfix your GPS by using the file at this link. This will put the original gpsd file back on the phone. Follow the same process used to install the fix. And after you install the update your GPS will probably still be broken so you will need to install the fix again.

• 349. Gingerbread GPS Issues

coasterphotos wrote:

epicowner wrote:

Hey Coaster,

Looks like loads of users are now benefitting  from your posted gpsfix procedure.  Notice that lately, since OTA update EL30 has been released, users are reporting that, after having installed gpsfix.zip from the proc, the OTA update is failing with a status error.  According to what youve written, OTA updates should NOT be having a problem if the steps were followed correctly.. Do you have any insights as to why these OTA updates are failing on gpsfixed phones?

It was thought by many people that it wouldn't matter, but in fact it does. And that is the risk of installing unofficial files on your phone. The latest update checks for the correct size of the gpsd file and since the "fixed" one is different, it fails.

You can unfix your GPS by using the file at this link. This will put the original gpsd file back on the phone. Follow the same process used to install the fix. And after you install the update your GPS will probably still be broken so you will need to install the fix again.

Thanks Coaster, that makes it clear.  Would you expect that this size checking procedure for the gspd file would be standard operating procedure for all future updates, including a future update from GB to ICS?

• 350. Gingerbread GPS Issues
    SamsungSux Regular Visitor

I'm thinking that it's an extra bonus feature of Coaster's GPS fix that now Sprint can't force updates to the phone!

I'll sit back and wait a few weeks to find out exactly what is in this update, and what the impact is to the people that do download it.  If I don't want it, I won't allow Sprint to send it to my phone.

Perfect!

thanks again Coaster (and the others that helped to resolve this problem for us)

Ed

• 351. Gingerbread GPS Issues
    coasterphotos Bronze Expert

epicowner wrote:

coasterphotos wrote:

epicowner wrote:

Hey Coaster,

Thanks Coaster, that makes it clear.  Would you expect that this size checking procedure for the gspd file would be standard operating procedure for all future updates, including a future update from GB to ICS?

I would expect that all updates check for the files it plans on replacing or updating. I (and others) thought it just checked to see if the file existed...but apparently it checks to make sure it is the correct size as well. If a new gpsd file isn't included in an update, it won't care which one is there because it won't check.

I seriously doubt we will ever see an update to ICS on the Epic. Samsung has said there isn't enough space for it in the system partition.

• 352. Gingerbread GPS Issues
    Marcoid Regular Visitor

However, it looks like adelmundo over at xda-developers has provided a Remove_GPS_Fix.zip file, which can be installed via clockworkmod, in order to put the old gpsd file back -- so that EL30 can be installed:

Unfortunately that file (Remove_GPS_Fix.zip) did not work for me.  Here's one that did:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-epic-4g/151308-gingerbread-el30-official-el30-gingerbread-samsung-epic-4g-5.html#post1574663

Here are my initial impressions of EL30:

• When I reverted back to the EI22 gpsd, I would lock to 4 or 5 satellites. With EL30, I got 5 (though it did lock pretty quickly). For comparison sake: I got 10 or 11 satellites when I had applied GPS_Fix on EI22, in that same spot in front of my house earlier tonight.  So I don't see much improvement.  I'll monitor it as time goes on, hoping for no freezes/restarts.  I may just re-apply GPS_Fix at some point.
    • Consider me lucky, I have not had any issues with incoming calls.
    • The new Phone icon and incoming call screen are just meaningless candy.
    • I see that EL30 STILL doesn't include the ability to video chat in Google Talk, as was supposed to be available in Android 2.3.4 and above.
  • 353. Gingerbread GPS Issues

Is there any way to know in advance which gpsfix removal tool we should use to allow the EL30 update to succeed?

• 354. Gingerbread GPS Issues
    cygoonda Newbie

guywithanepic,

I'm curious, what version of telenav are you using?

someguywithanepic wrote:

Just want to let everyone know, I applied the OTA this morning to an unrooted stock epic. The GPS is working... somewhat. If you use Telenav the GPS signal stays active the whole time, if you use any other program (Navigon or Google Navigation) after about 5 minutes the phone loses the GPS signal just as always before. Here is the kicker though, if you go out of the program and reopen it finds the GPS signal again and starts working normally (for about another 5 minutes). I downloaded and installed GPS Status and it shows 9-11 satelites with a lock on 4 or 5 consistently. No reboots today since I installed at 7 this morning. I spoke to Sprint at the Bayshore NY repair center, they privately acknowleged the problem and gave me the number for Smasung Epic support (877-392-4252) Samsung was kind enough to send me a prepaid UPS 2 day return authorization for the phone, though they say the don't know of any problem with the phone they would be more than happy to repair it becuse it's still under full warranty with them (2yrs from purchase). I was considering that before the OTA came in this morning, but now it looks likw I will stick with Telenav.

• 355. Gingerbread GPS Issues
    agilfox Newbie

I applied the OTA update this morning, so far:

* Successfull incoming call (screen has changed),

* I had solid GPS for 40+ min commute into work.  (GoogleNAV, note there was also an update to Google Maps I ran as well)

* Had Pandora streaming the entire drive in as well.

I will be doing further testing later this afternoon and this weekend, but so far it has worked.  My biggest test will be to see if MyTracks can keep signal as well.  Loosing that makes me nuts as that is how I track my running and rides.

This was on a unrooted and unfixed Epic.

• 356. Gingerbread GPS Issues

Im getting really confused.. I have a NON rooted Epic 4g. Its stock GB, EXCEPT, I performed the 18 step proc to install GPSFIX.zip, and its been working great. Now I want to be able to install EL30, however some people are using the xda removal file to set the gpsd file back go stock GB, and others are saying it doesnt work and are instead extracting the original EI22 gpsd file from somewhere and inserting into an update.zip file, etc, etc.

Is there one place we can go to find out the steps that will work for a non rooted Epic 4g with the only departure from stock being the installation of the gpsfix file from the 18 step proc on pg 13?   Also, do all the steps need to be repeated, or is it enough to copy the remove_gps_zip.zip file into the root directory of the sd card and go into recovery mode to install it?

• 357. Gingerbread GPS Issues
    EpicDAVE Regular Visitor

I have had the GPS on for 24 hrs since the update on my recently hard reset phone. Getting 3 or 4 fixed out of 9 or 10 although I have not driven around with it will do it later. Only issue is google maps was off this morning. I use Sygic a much better app than TelNav but you must pay for it it is cheap and has a lot of neat features including a gps check I have it on plugged in charging and not locking up the phone. It may be that all of you who just couldn't wait while people like me badgered Sprint and Samsung for the update wasted your time. Even though there is nothing officially released on EL30 fixing the GPS issue it may be what they did fix allows it to work as it should have. I do not care for the call screen though liked the old one better.

• 358. Gingerbread GPS Issues
    Marcoid Regular Visitor

epicowner wrote:

Is there any way to know in advance which gpsfix removal tool we should use to allow the EL30 update to succeed?

I would suggest using the 2nd one (oldgps.zip, the one from the Android Central link); it worked for me.  Also, I looked at the gpsd file in both of those zip files; and although they are the same size, the modified date for the one in oldgps.zip is 2009 (looks old enough to me), as compared to the one in Remove_GPS_Fix.zip which is 2012 (looks too new).

epicowner wrote:

Im getting really confused.. I have a NON rooted Epic 4g. Its stock GB, EXCEPT, I performed the 18 step proc to install GPSFIX.zip, and its been working great. Now I want to be able to install EL30, however some people are using the xda removal file to set the gpsd file back go stock GB, and others are saying it doesnt work and are instead extracting the original EI22 gpsd file from somewhere and inserting into an update.zip file, etc, etc.

Is there one place we can go to find out the steps that will work for a non rooted Epic 4g with the only departure from stock being the installation of the gpsfix file from the 18 step proc on pg 13?   Also, do all the steps need to be repeated, or is it enough to copy the remove_gps_zip.zip file into the root directory of the sd card and go into recovery mode to install it?

You will probably have to go through all of the steps again, unless you have the ClockWorkMod (CWM) bootloader on your phone permanently.  The key thing is that the stock bootloader will only install "official" update.zip updates, as it will fail if you try to instal GPS_Fix.zip or oldpgs.zip, etc.; so we need to use CWM to install these unofficial updates.  And although there are 18 or so individual steps, it's not so bad -- there really are 3 main things to be done:

1. Put your phone in download mode and install CWM via Odin.
    2. Let it restart and pull the battery before it boots up, so CWM doesn't get wiped out.
    3. Boot into CWM and install oldgps.zip.

FYI -- additional info on my experience with EL30 so far.  I used Google Maps/Navigation on my 40-minute commute to work this morning.  I had no freezes or restarts, and the GPS stayed locked the whole time.  However, it was only using 5 satellites out of 10 available.  I don't have enough experience with GPS software to know if that is a reasonable trade-off between location accuracy and battery life, or if it's considered too "weak", or what.  Most of the time the GPS Test reported about 10-20 feet of accuracy.

• 359. Gingerbread GPS Issues

SenseiMP wrote:

epicowner wrote:

I would suggest using the 2nd one (oldgps.zip, the one from the Android Central link); it worked for me.  Also, I looked at the gpsd file in both of those zip files; and although they are the same size, the modified date for the one in oldgps.zip is 2009 (looks old enough to me), as compared to the one in Remove_GPS_Fix.zip which is 2012 (looks too new).

Well, arent we setting our gpsd file back to stock Gingerbread version?  I didnt get GB in 2009; wasnt that Froyo time?  I think I did get  in 2012, or was it the end of 2011?  I dont really remember, but it was certainly well after 2009.. but if oldgps.zip works Im going to try it.. Wish me luck.

1 22 23 24 25 26 28 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points