This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 Previous Next 51 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2012 11:41 PM by jmada Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: Access to Sprint.com
    raylitherland67 Sprint Employee
    Currently Being Moderated

FYI.....We are aware of this. We are working hard to get this issue resolved as soon as possible. No ETR.

Sprint.com - degraded

TICKET: IM833226

SUMMARY: Sprint.com - degraded

DETAILS:

• Customers are intermittently being redirected to an external vendor site when attempting to go to Sprint.com homepage.

ACTIONS:

• Fix agents are working to resolve this issue
    • NO ETC
  • 31. Access to Sprint.com
    das19951 Regular Visitor

Kimberly, reread the reply in the link you posted.

Not only did the dns cache/history/cookies get cleared, but also the DNS server settings on the computer and/or router were changed to something else.  According to the thread over there, changed to 8.8.8.8 (google), or 4.2.2.2 (level3.net).

Making these changes, I can access the site just fine and access bill pay, etc.

• 32. Access to Sprint.com
    WendallSmith1701 Regular Visitor

I played with this for hours last night trying to figure out if it was only me seeing this.  I finally did a search and found the other guy's post.  Here is what I did.

Cleared history, cache, active logins, etc in my Firefox.

Shut down all browser windows and application windows

Unplugged from the internet

Clicked on Start and then typed cmd

Once at a command promtp, I typed: ipconfig /flushdns

Waited for the confirmation and then typed: exit

Plugged back into the Internet

Open Firefox and went to www.sprint.com

Selected Current Personal User

... and voila... I was on sprint.com and was not being redirected.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.  My hard drive recently crashed so I am still getting all of my programs installed.. but eSet has been on since the get go.

Before doing the info above, I could not get sprint.com to work on Firefox, IE, or Safari.

It would work on my phone and on my daughter's Mac.  I saw that someone else was not able to get it to work on a Mac... I don't know why it worked on my daughters Mac.. the only thing I can think of is she was not logged in and it only started for me AFTER I logged in.  But, once it happened... I could no longer visit any page whether I was logged in or not to sprint.com.  The only page I could access (after clearing cache) was the main splash page that asked if you were a current user.  Once I clicked from there was was on inq.com.

Also, I had cleared my cache before I came across that other site and that did not work.  I also checked my system for viruses and malware.  It seems like something happened to my DNS while on sprint's site and once I cleared that.. it was fine.

I too work with computers a lot and probably know more than the average person which is why this seemed so odd to me.  I also did a google search on that pagesinxt.com URL and found that other sites had been hijacked via this redirect.  It sure seems like to me something happened to there website that affected my DNS... but who knows.

Hope it all gets figured out.

• 33. Access to Sprint.com
    wingland Sprint Admin

Good day -- we have isolated the issue to a DNS change that was made by one of our partners (INQ) and failed, resulting in the DNS record pointing their systems to the offending site.  The change was backed out at 8:36 PM last night, but due to the way DNS works, it will be up to 24 hours before all customers stop seeing the redirect.

We are monitoring DNS servers nationwide to ensure the change is appropriately propigated and are meeting with the vendor and DNS provider to identify the root cause of the failure and put corrective action in place to prevent this from happening again.

This change does not impact billpay, view bill etc.

Customers with issues with site speed or stability should contact customer care and have them log a ticket for the IT teams to investigate.

Thank you,

Will

• 34. Access to Sprint.com
    GeekOfTexas Bronze Expert

IMO, this appears to be an issue where DNS entries were changed on DNS servers on the internet. It does not look like any hack on Sprint's side redirecting to the site. That is why changing to Google's DNS server of 8.8.8.8 and flushing DNS seems to resolve the issue.

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

• 35. Access to Sprint.com

But I did not change to Googles DNS server.. I only flushed my DNS.  I too thought it was rather odd and couldnt figure out why it didnt happen to everyone.

• 36. Access to Sprint.com

Ok, I was just on the Sprint.com site again (1/27/2012 @ 6:20 PM EST) and I was looking at the coverage map.  I switched back to Plans and I was redirected to the inq.com / pagesinxt.com website.  I cleared my cache, shut down my Firefox, unplugged the internet and flushed my DNS.  Plugged back in and the site is working again.

Very odd.

• 37. Access to Sprint.com
    MARTINVISH Newbie

WOW, I'm so glad it is not just me!!  I did all the normal fixes, ran my virus program, cleared everything you can possible clear and it is still doing it   So I don't think it's as easy to fix as some people who have posted believe.  Hope they take care of it soon.

• 38. Access to Sprint.com
    scorpt Newbie

Same here. Good knowing I'm not the only one.....well not actually good...but ya'll know what I mean...

• 39. Access to Sprint.com
    BGC1966 Newbie

Thanks.  I am on the phone with Sprint now. yes, they informed me they are wrkng on this issue.  I've seen earlier postings on another site dating back to 2003 with the same thing.  I got on from one link but was redireected to inq.com in the middle of trying to upgrade online. smh. I pray they get this fixed ASAP!!

• 40. Access to Sprint.com

What I do not get is they say this has something to do with one of their partners.. but this "inq.com" looks more like a malware site.  It is not a real site. It links to more links.  AND, if you look at the URL it is pagesinxt.com.  And, if you do a search on that... there are other sites that have had these redirects done to their sites and they had nothing to do with it.  That is why I thought it was hacked.

• 41. Re: Access to Sprint.com
    TechTrooper Newbie

I was just as ****** as most customers here who have experienced this problem... BUT the problem is not the Sprint website, but a hijack of the Windows registry. I know, I know many of you say it's not working on your tablets, and iThings, but I tried on my wife's computer (WinXPPro) & my laptop (Win7Pro) & both accessed the Sprint main page just fine. It was my media PC (WinXPMC2005) that was irking me. I downloaded MalwareBytes ran the quick scan... found over 70 issues, mostly registry entries. Rebooted opened up the Explorer 8 browser & straight to www.sprint.com & viola I was back to a normal landing page.

http://www.malwarebytes.com

I hope this helps, but I would suggest anyone having the issue of accessing www.sprint.com & only to get www.inq.comdownload & run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

NOTE: I have Norton AntiVirus 2012 & it did not find anything "wrong", but being an IT tech my instincts told me to try the Malwarebytes since it is the best in the industry at finding this sort of problem. BTW I am not affiliated with Malwarebytes in any way.

Best,

Edward

• 42. Access to Sprint.com
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

KimberlyHuff1701 wrote:

What I do not get is they say this has something to do with one of their partners.. but this "inq.com" looks more like a malware site.  It is not a real site. It links to more links.  AND, if you look at the URL it is pagesinxt.com.  And, if you do a search on that... there are other sites that have had these redirects done to their sites and they had nothing to do with it.  That is why I thought it was hacked.

The Domain Name System (DNS) is what changes the url you type in (i.e. google.com) into the actual IP address of the site (google.com is located at 74.125.224.147 in my location, it will vary slightly depending on where you are). Lots of times large sites like Google will have multiple IP addresses assigned to the same domain, and depending on where the user is located, will dynamically change which server is used to balance website load and speed for the user. When a website changes its IP address to another server or host, another domain may then be assigned to that IP address because it is then "available" to be used again.

This is one of the reasons why the IPv6 rollout is such a big deal. Currently most of the web uses IPv4 which is severely limited in the number of IP addresses available, and in all actuallity we really hae run out already. The trouble is not everything supports IPv6 and many web hosts are slow to upgrade their systems to support IPv6. This change should alleviate some of these issues because there will be a surplus of addresses available, and previously used IPs can be "blacklisted" for a period of time until all of the DNS systems across the Internet have had time to update to the new location.

There are a LOT of DNS servers on the Internet. Most of them are hosted by individual ISPs (think Comcast, AOL, Cox, Time Warner, etc.) so they can monitor traffic on their network and redirect to controll speed and throttling, or help manage network congestion. All ISPs do this, and DNS is one small piece of the pie. Personally I use OpenDNS on my home network, with Google's DNS system as the backup, and I have noticed they both update their DNS listing much faster than Comcast did when I used their DNS system by default. In addition your comptuer, router, phone, etc. all have a local DNS cache that it uses so it doesn't ave to constantly check with a DNS server for every link you click. If you are using an outdated DNS cache it will direct you incorrectly if the location has changed IP addresses since you last had that DNS/IP address updated in your system.

• 43. Access to Sprint.com

@halcyoncmdr123,

Thanks for the detailed info.  Some of that I obviously knew but in all my workings on the net.. I have never had this happen to me.  AND, I know that in the past, Comcast usually updates their DNS twice a day.  This first happened to me over 24 hours ago.  I get why flushing my DNS fixed the problem, but what I dont get is why did it happen to me again 22 hours later?  I also don't understand why it happened to some but not others.  For example, we tried it on my daughter's Mac and she did not see it.

I am not saying this is something other than what Sprint is saying... I am just confused as to how and why it is all happening.

Thank you for the detailed info.

• 44. Re: Access to Sprint.com
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

KimberlyHuff1701 wrote:

@halcyoncmdr123,

Thanks for the detailed info.  Some of that I obviously knew but in all my workings on the net.. I have never had this happen to me.  AND, I know that in the past, Comcast usually updates their DNS twice a day.  This first happened to me over 24 hours ago.  I get why flushing my DNS fixed the problem, but what I dont get is why did it happen to me again 22 hours later?  I also don't understand why it happened to some but not others.  For example, we tried it on my daughter's Mac and she did not see it.

I am not saying this is something other than what Sprint is saying... I am just confused as to how and why it is all happening.

Thank you for the detailed info.

Anything related to DNS can be hit or miss. Physical location, ISP, system configuration, network configuration, DNS propogation, etc. all have a factor in the end result. It may be that the issue appeared originally because of an outdated DNS entry on your system after the DNS change was started by INQ. Then after you flushed your DNS cache on your system the issue was resolved because the DNS server you were using was already updated to the new IP address. The issue then could have reappeared because from what Will posted above it looks like INQ reversed the change (I could be reading the post wrong, but that is how I am reading "The change was backed out at 8:36 PM last night"). So your system's new local DNS entry was wrong again. DNS entries on a computer may have varying timeouts depending on how that system is setup. If there is no local DNS entry already, or the local entry is expired, then the computer will query the DNS server for a new IP address for that URL. I don't know what the default timeouts are for Windows/Mac/Linux/etc., or if there is any kind of variance between them.

The DNS system is extremely complex and consists of a TON of small moving parts. Any wrench in the system can cause massive issues and redirect problems across the entire Internet, as evidenced by this small change going wrong. This is one of the reasons why SOPA/PIPA were so highly opposed by those who took the time to read about them. This is one of the reasons Wikipedia and Google (among thousands of other sites) went dark on January 18th to raise awareness about it. The SOPA/PIPA resolutions directly mucked with the DNS system, they messed with a fundamental piece of the greater machine, and threatened to destabilize the entire system in doing so.

EDIT: Wikipedia's entry for the DNS system, it should provide at least a basic understanding of how it works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...