10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2012 12:44 AM by HiyaBuddy RSS

How Much Data Roaming Does My "Unlimited Roaming" Give Me?/Having rebooting issues after 4 exchanges and waiting on a fifth replacement...

HiyaBuddy Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

It's been a bit since I've posted regarding my EVO 3Ds and I thought my brother was the only one with problems but it looks like they are happening to me as well. My brother has a rooted EVO 3D so he's always swapping out roms and trying out new ones, but he's careful not to flash anything too risky that would brick his phone. As for mine, I liked(past tense here, it no longer applies) the phone the way it came when I signed us up back in July. My mother's EVO 3D has had little to no problems, probably because she doesn't use it as much or maybe she got lucky with hers and hasn't encountered any terrible problems. Now, I am seeing the problems happening with my phone. The random reboots are the worst, the browser closing itself down, and the htc sense home screen loading infinite loop, the freezing during the rebooting at the white htc screen that requires a battery pull, did I mention rebooting infinitely until the battery dies? I have had 4 replacements already and my brother had 3 and he said enough was enough and decided to root his phone to get better results. I thought it was a little weird that he could do it, I mean my mom just got him his first smartphone since he deserved it for working his **** off during his senior year of highschool but I guess he must have learned fast meanwhile the guy going for software engineering (me, two years left) has no clue about rooting but can most defnitely out code my brother.

This replacement(number 4) has the same problems as the others. It starts doing the random reboooting before it does automatic restore of my apps, so it doesn't look like the market apps are affecting my phone. I've had it tech serviced SEVERAL TIMES to have it stop rebooting. After probably bugging the heck out of the tech guy he said he would order me a replacement phone(number 5). I am to go pick it up tomorrow and I'm not holding my breath for anything because every replacement provided has worked poorly in the past. I have tried the master resets, the reset holding power down and volume down, I tried pulling the battery for a bit and removing the sd card, and still nothing. I have even tried to remove the sd card and keep it out of the phone but that didn't fix the problem. I put the sd card back in and it got worse, but on the last tech appointment(a week ago) the tech put in the order for replacement because they were backordered.So I'll pick it up tomrrow but I am expecting rebooting issues to conveninetly happen when I get home and after the sprint store closes.

So I have reached a dreadded impasse with Sprint, we get a 10% AAA discount and that will be affected (2 bucks a month is worth every penny when you have two kids in college) by the discount policy change and want to leave Sprint ETF Free. And because my brother and I are getting busy with the school year our data usage will plummet from winter break and summer numbers. I remember the first month we signed up, our data usage hit 13GBs. Also, my mom barely uses 100 mb of data a month but still wants a smartphone. I shopped around and AT&T gives us a better deal. Our data usage isn't going to be as high anymore so my brother and I will get the 3gb plans and my mom will have a 300 mb plan while my dad will continue with a flip phone since all he wants to do is make calls. My sprint bill comes out to 240.19 a month after taxes and it will be around 242 or 243 a month after the discount policy change. With AT&T we will have a bill of around 235 a month after taxes (my little brother's job helps him pay his 30 bucks a month for his ipad 3g plan but its just an under the table payment because he only can put in an hour a day, as I have mentioned he got an Ipad 2 for Christmas). That's 7 bucks a month that we can put toward our student loans (every penny helps...). This may sound like an AT&T fanboy but I also have one other reason for going with AT&T. And my other gripe is, why is Sprint not giving me functioning replacements? They want me to go all out and blow $500+ tax on a phone just so it will work, that influences me to switch since bestbuy will give us a $99 gift card each for our EVO 3Ds and we could use that for our new phones. Plus the bestbuy gift cards we got for christmas will cover the cost of our phones entirely( I am not looking for an Iphone, I like android phones).

They will be the best value for us and there is also one BIG ISSUE that my brother has with Sprint. To save money, my brother and I picked schools that we could easily commute to so an airrave wouldn't solve our problems. Only problem is, I have decent coverage while at school but he only has roaming or no signal and I confirmed this when we visited the school. Even by the windows in the library he will have roaming, I checked. He loves to use his phone for pandora, google music, and videos, etc. Because he is at school all day 9 AM to 9 PM that is where most of his phone usage will occur and this relates to my question in the first post. Last month's bill, I checked his usage. He used almost 2 gb of roaming data and this pattern will continue to occur month after month and he wants to take summer courses so he can get his degree faster. I'm proud of that, but I want to know how much data roaming he can use per month because even though it says unlimited when I check my account online I don't think it would be unlimited. His data roaming was almost 50% of his total data usage for the last bill. School has only been going on for a week, so his roaming is low as he hasn't been in the library too much yet, but that will change soon once his labs start and he has to spend time in the library. So my reason for choosing AT&T is simple, it just works in there and he gets full bars on his ipad while he has no bars with Sprint on his phone. He doesn't take the ipad with him because he doesn't want to risk anything happening to it there, but takes his laptop instead. AT&T works the best in there, it trumps Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc and the data speeds are insanely fast for 3g data not HPSA+...

So if he ends up getting asked to leave the Sprint network (as I have read around forums) he would go to AT&T but the problem we have is, we don't want to pay a second bill on top of our Sprint bill so we hope the discount policy change works in our favor because it would get out of hand if we had to bring in a second wireless bill to our pile of bills. This is the better option for us. Another gripe I have with Sprint is that we don't get a decent 4G signal and data speeds are always inconsistent but terribly slow most of the time. The data capacity upgrade on a nearby tower won't help at all because I went to an area with updated towers and the speed was still the same. I don't believe the airrave will work too well either because our home address has full bars, but again, we have the same data speed problem.Wifi works when in range of the router but our rooms are out of its range because it has been placed in the basement we don't have any plans to move the computer because my mom and dad like where it is. So this is my dilemma with Sprint...

• 1. How Much Data Roaming Does My "Unlimited Roaming" Give Me?/Having rebooting issues after 4 exchanges and waiting on a fifth replacement...
    robotaholic Gold Expert

I am sorry for the problems you all have had with devices and signal.  We appreciate your business and don't want to lose it and I am sincere in saying this. 

I will tell you that according to the terms of service in the contract, the maximum amount of roaming you can have per month is 800 voice minutes and 300 megabytes of data.  If you continually go over this limit, after several communications including text messages and phone calls, your service can be terminated.  We don't want to see this happen.  I am just providing you the information to try to help.

thank you

-John

• 2. How Much Data Roaming Does My "Unlimited Roaming" Give Me?/Having rebooting issues after 4 exchanges and waiting on a fifth replacement...

John,

Thank you for your answer, but I want a solution to my problem. I have asked if I can have the Evo 3D swapped with an Epic 4G Touch because the specs are comparable when I read them and look at both phones, but the reps keeep telling me they can't because its not an viable option. The only offers I have received are another (probably defunct) Evo 3D, a Nexus S 4G ( a step down), Photon 4G (I tried the photon, I did not like the exeperience with it), and an Evo Dessign 4G (big step down from the 3D). Where are my other options, if I can't get a properly functioning phone then I have to consider switching...

I only say I want the Epic 4G Touch because it is the most stable, as of now however, I don't believe it is such a stable phone. I have read the forum posts here regarding the latest update and what it did to the phone. I just want a working phone, and if Sprint can't deliever that I will heavily consider leaving for AT&T.

• 4. How Much Data Roaming Does My "Unlimited Roaming" Give Me?/Having rebooting issues after 4 exchanges and waiting on a fifth replacement...

@ VDC I've seen that video already. I tried the epic 4g touch in store, I even asked for the epic 4g touch as an alternative but that didn't work. How can sprint make a customer pay $500+ tax on a new phone when the replacements they provide DO NOT WORK. I have my replacement EVO 3D and it hasn't frozen YET (keyword there). When it starts acting up, I'll have to phone in again to complain and insist on gettting the epic 4g touch as a replacement. I don't think ebay is viable option. I've gotten phones off ebay before and I've gotten screwed over so many times I can't even count that, despite buying from reputable sellers.

So lets say I buy an epic 4g touch off ebay, brand new they have them for around $400 or used is around $300. Lets say I buy a used one find out that even though it was gauranteed in working condition the phone becomes defunct and I have to get a replacement epic from Sprint, Then the whole fiasco with exchanges will begin again. Whereas, if I were to buy a brand new phone from AT&T with my $99 gift card for my EVO 3D I would pay 99+ tax. I wouldn't have an etf because of the discount policy change and I confirmed this with a supervisor from account services he even gave me a reference number in case I do port over. So the option to switch would make more economic sense if I am not charged an ETF as the superviosr promised me. If I were to put up with Sprint how many more exchanges am I looking at before I'll be offered the epic 4g touch? If I can't get the epic then Sprint leaves me no choice.

@VDC sorry if it sounded like I'm bashing you, but honestly I am not I'm just trying to show my frustration that I have with Sprint. In the beginning Sprint worked fine, then the Iphone comes out and the Sprint Network goes to isht. I live in a 4G area but to get a relaible signal I need to take a drive up the street (about 2 miles) to get consistently working 4G. Now that is not an option when Verizon has 4G LTE coverage in this area, as well at AT&T LTE. Data speeds have become worse, they are especially inconsistent throughout the week. I have mentioned a thousand times how youtube stutters and streaming music is impossible because of the constant pausing waiting on Sprint. Maps take forever to load in a very good coverage area. This happened today on my replacement EVO 3D. My friend next to me with his AT&T phone (it was an htc Aria and he had 3 bars) loaded up google maps and found directions faster than I did. Whhen he got the directions, my maps finally finished loading. I thought my phone was supposed to be faster, well I'm not seeing the faster when a phone of lower quality bests the more advanced phone with data speed. With AT&T data would be limited, but it would feel worth $240 a month not like Sprint, which feel likes a rip off for $242 a month with these data speeds that are getting worse. If I paid $200 a month to Sprint the service I receive still would't feel worth it. If I could, I would only pay Sprint 170 a month for everything because that is what its worth to me for the service I am receving. If I could laod a youtube video with no problems, stream my music with no issue, and load up maps quickly I wouldn't mind $250 a month but the service is absolute garbage and that makes me call foul on Sprint.

Sprint, I WANT ANSWERS!!!

• 5. How Much Data Roaming Does My "Unlimited Roaming" Give Me?/Having rebooting issues after 4 exchanges and waiting on a fifth replacement...
    VorlessDarkChaos Silver Expert

It is really understandable to wants answers and do not worry I did not take what you said the wrong way and with your current Evo 3D hopeful there is no problems. I do find it very strange how some people have more problem with there mobile then others. Since joining sprint on july 2007 I never had any problems with any of my mobile phones.Is it possible for screen on a smart phone just crack by being put down?

• 6. How Much Data Roaming Does My "Unlimited Roaming" Give Me?/Having rebooting issues after 4 exchanges and waiting on a fifth replacement...

@VDC no problems so far. It's working like a well oiled machine. As for a screen cracking on a smartphone remember "Like Kevin Garnett, Anything Is Possible!!!" As you can tell I'm a Celtics fan and I'm from Boston. Well, to be truthful about your phone I consider a screen cracking by itself somewhat likely. I'm no fluid dynamics expert or physicist but maybe the phone had too much strain on it either vertically or horizontally that at that instance you set the phone down, the structural intergrity of the Gorilla Glass (Galaxy s II right? I can recall reading a post I think it was you who posted.) was compromised and it slowly cracked. I'm not saying you squeezed or held it too hard, but maybe the way it was packaged or handled an object was putting strain on the glass and you just happened to be the unlucky guy who had to deal with it cracking.Either that or that pane of Gorilla Glass is defective, because they should test the Gorilla Glass for pressure at their factory if it is in fact so "strong and advanced". Kinda like how they test concrete to see if it can withstand a certain amount of weight and pressure. I've never had a cracked screen, ever. It's weird how none of my phones haven't cracked despite having dropped my previous phones from before Sprint quite a few times.

I'm looking at you Sprint, I want an answer!

• 7. Re: How Much Data Roaming Does My "Unlimited Roaming" Give Me?/Having rebooting issues after 4 exchanges and waiting on a fifth replacement...
    VorlessDarkChaos Silver Expert

I never had a crack screen with any of my mobile phones,I was not the one with that problem with crack screen. Person who posted that said that screen crack when place on counter.

Click on this user name RC1024 to send him a message about your problem.

• 8. How Much Data Roaming Does My "Unlimited Roaming" Give Me?/Having rebooting issues after 4 exchanges and waiting on a fifth replacement...

@VDC I have sent RC1024 a PM. I hope he can get back to me promptly...

• 9. How Much Data Roaming Does My "Unlimited Roaming" Give Me?/Having rebooting issues after 4 exchanges and waiting on a fifth replacement...

These incosistent data speeds in a good coverage area are seriously a joke, 6 BARS WHERE I LIVE. I was told the issue was fixed 2 weeks ago and when I called in I was told there are no reported issues in your area. Zipcode 02141 and I get speeds of .20 mbps at 3AM at night WTH Sprint, get your act together! It is especially sad when the upload speed is 4 or 5 times my download speed. And my cousin's iphone 4 on AT&T? 4 mbps on 3 BARS OF 3G.

• 10. How Much Data Roaming Does My "Unlimited Roaming" Give Me?/Having rebooting issues after 4 exchanges and waiting on a fifth replacement...

Well Sprint, I don't know why you haven't answered my inquiries yet, but I will update you on the fabulous refurbished EVO 3D I was given. Just about an hour ago I started using the Youtube app on the phone, I clicked agree to T&C, and searched for a video. While watching the video, the phone froze entirely and didnt respond to any button presses. It was strange, however, that the phone continued to play the audio from the video but that was it. The first time, the phone restarted itself no problems. After I unlock the phone I tap volume up and notice my ringtone has been changed to "silennt ringtone." FYI, I don't have any custom ringtones on my sd card, I just use the stock ones provided with the phone. My notification ringtone also changed itself. My weather widget stopped responding and it prompted me to force close. The weather widget also changed istelf to Centigrade, completely by itself. So back to Youtube and the phone froze a second time. This time I had to do a battery pull. When it finally booted up, All of my shortcuts on my lockscreen disappeared and my weather won't load on my lockscreen. I tried changing the types of lockscreens to just wallpaper, then back to weather. I still got nothing and have no shortcut icons. I haven't even had the replacement EVO 3D 3 days and it already crapped up on me. What's going on Sprint???

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points