This discussion is archived
1 2 3 8 Previous Next 125 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2012 11:53 PM by jwbarnes RSS

not receiving texts since 2/1

marasarko Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I live in zip code 44067, i've been having issues receiving texts since 2/1/12, and i have a samsung intercept. occasionally, i receive the text when it was sent, recently the problem seems to be getting much worse and it can take anywhere from 2-24 hours to get them. some of them that i've had other people send me as tests, i haven't received at all. voicemail also seems to be affected by this. what the heck is going on?

• 1. not receiving texts since 2/1
    robotaholic Gold Expert

I am sorry you are having these problems.  There can be several things that cause you to not get timely (if any) notifications.  Have you tried taking out the battery and putting it back in?  Also, how much internal storage do you have left? You can see by going to home/menu/settings/sd & phone storage - see how much storage you have...sometimes phones wont receive messages if there isn't enough memory to hold them...

Try a battery pull and then please update the data profile on the device by going to home/menu/settings/system updates/update profile - and let's see if you get your notifications...You can test it by sending a text message to your own phone number to see if you get them. 

Sometimes you need to set your phone's Roaming mode to Sprint only instead of Automatic in order to consistently get your notifications.  If the steps above don't fix the problem, please reply back to this thread and then we'll set the Roam mode to Sprint only.

Thank you!

-John

• 2. not receiving texts since 2/1

No luck. 56MB of storage (i was at 32, then cleared the caches). tried updating profile, didn't work. went to settings/wireless & networks/mobile networks/system select and selected "sprint only". still not working.

-Sara

• 3. not receiving texts since 2/1
    DONALIEN Silver Expert

Did you notice any change in the number of signal bars on your device when you changed to Sprint only? Delayed text messages are usually related to signal issues. It's prompted by very low signal strength or when roaming because, essentially our network is unable to find your phone to deliver the messages. When set to Sprint only, it pretty much rules out roaming as the cause of the issue. If you have 0 or 1 bar after changing to Sprint only, that is probably the problem.

If you still seem to have good signal strength, I would start looking at the possibility of other factors. Is there anything else you can think of that could be causing the issue? Does the issue clear up in different locations? I don't see any tower issues in 44067. Some apps have been known to interfere with the retrieval of text messages. In particular if you have any type of task killer, anti-virus or text message apps, you should try uninstalling then and powercycle the phone. This is because their is a piece of software running on your phone specifically to receive texts. If there is an app killing or interfering with this process, you may not receive messages until you powercycle. If all else fails, you can try a factory reset. If it's software related, a factory reset will likely work. Let me know if you have any luck.

-Donnie

• 4. not receiving texts since 2/1

my bar strength is good, and my apps are pretty basic. the issue seems to clear up at my work, oddly enough, which is about 3 miles south of where i live, same zip code. also, receiving a phone call triggers me to receive a few messages, but not all of them (ones i've sent to myself or ones i asked friends to send, and who knows what other ones i'm missing) i have no task killer besides the standard task manager that came on the phone, nor do i have any other texting apps or anti-virus.

-Sara

• 5. not receiving texts since 2/1
    DONALIEN Silver Expert

If you shoot me a private message with a physical address, I can locate the specific tower and make sure there are no problems. Has this issue occurred on any other Sprint devices at the same location?

-Donnie

• 6. not receiving texts since 2/1
    Ddemars99 Newbie

same issue here. i am in the same area in ohio and i do not received texts timely or at all, until i go to make an outgoing call. by continuing to call my voicemail i then receive the texts but this is getting frustrating

• 7. not receiving texts since 2/1
    GWOMAN74 Regular Visitor

Marasarko, - having the exact same problem and I live in 44067 also. I went to Best Buy since that is where I have my protection plan through (Geek Squad) after checking on what the problem could be, and hearing I would have to send my phone in for a re-furbished, replacment phone, I decided to hold off and spoke to the Mobile guys at BB. Before I told them the problem, the gentelman I was talking to asked if he could guess. He listed everything that I am having problems with, which is the same exact thing as you, not recieving texts in "real time" and it's affecting voicemail too. He said he has seen almost 50 = 100 people come in and exchange their phones, thinking it was the phone, but it's SPRINT and the network in the area we live in.

I spent the rest of the afternoon on the phone with Sprint, trouble shooting my phone, reprogramming it, and almost had to take it down to factory settings (something I was hesitant to do) then my Dad called me and said he was having the exact same problems with his sprint phone, and he has an LG, and lives in the next city over from me (I'm in Northfield, and he is in Walton Hills)

The Best Buy guy said it seemes to be affecting Northfield, Macedonia, Twinsburg, and well now Walton Hills.

After I told the Sprint woman about my Dad having the same problem, she decided to open a CTMS network ticket to send someone out to our area.

We need to keep on Sprint so they get this resolved. I rely on texting a ton as I'm sure most people do.

P.s. I work downtown Cleveland and recieve texts just fine, so its the network where we live!

Kristine

• 8. not receiving texts since 2/1
    Shanetalk Regular Visitor

You can also add Brecksville. I talked to a rep yesterday and she confirmed that Sprint was having issues with the tower I would typically be using. They said it should be fixed by today. So we shall see. I am still upset at the fact that no one knew what was going on until a day or 2 later. Even the people on this website that are Sprint tech people had no idea which is odd to me. It started from what I was told around thursday night/friday night for some people. So here is hoping that it is fixed soon. No one that lives in the Northeast Ohio areas should get rid of their phone, get it repaired, restore, go to factory defaults etc until you know the cell tower in your area is working properly.

• 9. Re: not receiving texts since 2/1
    GWOMAN74 Regular Visitor

Hey Shanetalk,

Thanks for jumping on this thread, and continuing to validate that it's not our phones, but the Sprint service. My texting issues started on 2/9, but I missed a voicemail on 25jan, that didnt show up until 26jan after someone else left me a voicemail and pushed that one from the day before through.

As the weekend progressed the problems, mostly concerning texting, seem to be getting worse. Let's hope that Sprint is monitoring this thread, and that the rep you spoke to and the rep i spoke to are actually opening tickets to get our area checked out. The list of cities seems to be growing which can only lead to more disatisfied customers for Sprint.

Again, texting from downtown Cleveland, NPWSE = no problems what so ever!

• 10. not receiving texts since 2/1

Yes they always assume it is the phone and not their network. Most of the time it is their network. I had Verizon and never had any problems. Makes me regret switching now....They claim the problem is fixed after calling them today but texting still does not work. The only way I get my texts is if I call myself they come through which it never happened before till the tower went down or something happened to it....

• 11. not receiving texts since 2/1
    LADIVACRJ Regular Visitor

I am also in the Brecksville area and have spoken with 2 reps since Friday.  Was told this afternoon that service should be restored by tomorrow at 11:32am.  I certainly hope so.  I am also having problems receiving calls. My phone is ringing about 8 times before it actually rings on the cell phone.  So not only am I missing texts, but phone calls too.  Can I get a credit on my bill, for the problems this is causing me???

• 12. not receiving texts since 2/1
    GWOMAN74 Regular Visitor

I would call Sprint and ask them to credit your account.

I was on the phone with Sprint three times yesterday and finally asked to speak with a supervisor as I felt I was getting conflicting information. The supervisor was very nice, and showed me a few things I didn't know as to how to back up things on my phone in case I had to take it down to factory settngs. She advised that someone would call me back to troubleshoot my phone and after two hrs of doing what Denise suggested, with none of it resolving the problem, I asked what Sprint is going to do since I am not getting the service I am paying for. She said she would credit my account, how much I do not know, but I will be following up on this as well. You may want to call them back if this is not fixed by the time they told you.

I have a feeling that this will take a while for them to fix, but as long as we keep on them individually, as well as collectivly, they will have to get to the bottom of this texting/vm problem as it is unacceptable for this to go on much longer.

• 13. Re: not receiving texts since 2/1

Bad news...From what I was told a few minutes ago the issue has been resolved and the supervisor got a lil snippy with me stating that it probably is only affecting a few people. But we created a help ticket and they will look into it within 72hrs...So not sure where the one guy got that the issue will be fixed by tomorrow. According to Sprint and the super is they thought the issue was resolved and closed the ticket. So yeah I dunno what to do from here. If they keep not fixing it I may have to think about looking into a different carrier.

• 14. not receiving texts since 2/1

it's becoming pretty apparent that it's affecting more and more people, it's just taking a stupid long time to go through the bs to find out that no, it's not our phones or something we did, that it's the network. if i go 3 miles south of where i live (from northfield to macedonia) my texting service works just fine. so i'm sure that the longer this issue continues, the more people (hopefully) that they are being manipulated in order to give sprint sometime to clean up whatever problem this may be. and yeah, i want my acct credited for this. it's just silly.

1 2 3 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points