This discussion is archived
1 4 5 6 7 8 20 Previous Next 290 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2012 9:52 PM by tonyschild Go to original post RSS
  • 75. $36 activation fee?!
    TCD60 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

I agree! Customer for 9 years never paid a fee for upgrading our 4 phones except when I first added a new line to our plan ORIGINALLY. We have been loyal Sprint customers for 9 years the last line added to our family plan 2 years 5 months ago. I upgraded one of the phones on one of my lines and got charged my first $36 "Activation Fee".  they called it a  "new-line fee" even though we've had the same plan for 9 years and there is no NEW LINE! This is the lame excuse they gave, the original email.

Dear Rich Dickson,

Thank you for contacting Sprint. I understand your concern regarding the

activation fee charges.

The Activation Fee is a one-time fee applied to validate the service

activation of the new line. This is a system requirement and assists in

the configuration of the services on the network.

Whenever a new line is activated, our system automatically applies an

activation fee to the account.  I sincerely apologies for the

inconvenience it can cause to you.  Unfortunately due to some system

restriction we are unable to waive the activation fee charges on the

account.

We value your business and appreciate the opportunity to answer your

questions. Please reply to this email or visit sprint.com if we can be

of assistance.

Yes! we're getting gouged!  Mutiply $36 x people on sprint, times all the phones represented by each customer,(that would be 4 for us. That's an extra $144 every two years they're charging us)  x how many people and phones? COme on!

• 76. $36 activation fee?!
    SP_Clarissa Bronze Expert

You are correct that there is a $36 activation fee for new lines of service. Customers who upgrade a current line of service are charged a $36 upgrade fee. I realize that it can be frustrating if you had the fee waived in the past; however, activation and upgrade fees are a standard charge.

Thanks,

Clarissa

• 77. $36 activation fee?!
    JaxsDaddy1119 Newbie

I added a line the week before last and then added a tablet last week. Both times an add stated "order online and the activation fee will be waived". So to my surprise, I view my bill and I have 2 activation charges on there. When I contacted customer service, the response I got was:

"Activation fee is a one-time charge to connect your new Phones or cards with our network. I understand that it is an additional expense but this fee allows us to continue providing you with the latest technology available, and manage the costs associated with activating your new phone or cards on our network. 

These costs include marketing, advertising, product development, customer service, equipment subsidies, technological and network management costs & are good value adds to your services.

I am sorry, we are unable to apply the credit towards the activation fee."

Even though the website misleads, no lies, they will not honor the offer. I will be sending both devices back and sticking with my single device. Has anyone else seen this false ad and then been billed anyway?

• 78. $36 activation fee?!
    john727211 Newbie

Yes, i was on the phone with a supervisor who was reading the same page i was misled by. Mine was to do with the Premier plan going away. I can't remember the exact converstation but it was like this -  I asked "so even though the website says this you are doing that?" He said yes, the website is wrong.

I know when i upgraded our phones the site said "may" be charged an activation fee not "WILL" be charged an activation fee. That is misleading right there, especially for those never charged a fee. I give up though... this type of stuff seems to be normal operating procedure and not only by Sprint.

Like i said before to sprint - change the site's prices to include the activation fee, it's a 1 line code change,

• 79. Re: $36 activation fee?!

JaxsDaddy1119 / john727211,

I apologize for any incorrect information that you received. The activation or upgrade fee for Sprint.com orders is displayed after you have finished selecting the phone, plan, and any additional services you want for the new or upgraded lines. It is listed under “Activation, upgrade and other one-time fees on your first bill”.

There was a recent promotion that ran from 1/17/12 to 1/25/12, and then from 2/5/12 to 2/8/12 where new lines of service purchased from Sprint.com would have the activation fee waived. During the promotion, the waived activation fee option was enabled and active on the website. Outside of the dates listed the activation fee would be applied. This promotion applied to new lines of service only.

If you added a new line on Sprint.com during the promotional dates listed above and were charged an activation fee, please send me a private message so that I can look into the issue for you.

Thanks,

Clarissa

• 80. Re: $36 activation fee?!
    Levi4u Master

As far as the Waived Activation fees, Sprint is creating this headache themselves, "We will waive the fee, No we won't, But now we will, And again no we won't" And yet again they are now waiving them as far as this promo goes, Is it ONLY for AT&T customers this time? Either waive them or not, This waiving them then quiting for a few days and then start waiving them again only to have the customers have to fight to get what they thought they would get is getting old fast.

http://www.sprint.com/landings/competition/index.html?ECID=vanity%3Acompetition

• 81. Re: $36 activation fee?!
    JuanRamone Newbie

10 year customer, 3 lines of service and I just upgraded to the iPhone, which is $10 more per month, and they hit me with a $36 upgrade fee?  What happened to Premier Customers - I know you got rid of that program, but you need to empower your employees help your best customers, who pay on time, continue to increase services, etc.  This $36 is going to cost Sprint over $3,000 a year.  Why not even cover half the fee? or take $2 off for every year of loyalty?  Something is definitely better than nothing, but you guys haven't figured that out yet.  We know Sprint is focused on getting new customers, but if you can't keep the one's you have, it is a losing battle.

• 82. Re: $36 activation fee?!
    JaxsDaddy1119 Newbie

I ordered the iphone on the 2nd of February but the website and my final  order clearly stated the activation fee was waived if ordered online. I  had the tablet in my cart for a few days and finally placed the order  last Thursday morning, the 9th. But even when I placed the order, it still showed  that the activation fee was waived. This was a red flag when I called  in to place the order because they told me if I ordered over the phone I  would be billed for activation fee so I went back to the website to  complete the order. Had I known how untrustworthy Sprint is, I would  have captured screen shots. I will be returning the tablet. I am not  sure about the Iphone yet. I do not understand how my bill was $96 with  the single line and when I add a line and a tablet with the bare minimum  data plan that my bill goes up to $315. This been a total nightmare. I should of left my wife on ATT, ordered an unlocked Iphone since she was not yet eligible for an upgrade and stayed on ATT. Since she was on a family plan, the extra line was canceled and did not need to be so now she is incurring the $200 disconnect cost. I believe this is the fault of ATT because they automatically canceled the line when the # was ported even though they told the Sprint store rep it would not be cancelled. The line only had about 6 month left on the contract and she could of paid the $10 a month. Our goal was 1. to get her a new iphone and 2. Save money. Yet I went from $96 a month to $315 a month. I am being charged $40 in taxes plus $5 a line for credit risk. The data line for the tablet is only $20 a month so I have no idea how I went from $96 to over $300. This is ridiculous. The tablet is going back and if we can get her ATT lined added back, then the Iphone is going back too. She thought her $75 bill was month was high on ATT. Bare minimum we are looking at $150 for 2 lines before they even start adding in taxes or credit risk per line charges.

• 83. Re: $36 activation fee?!
    JaxsDaddy1119 Newbie

So after having one line and my bill being pretty consistent around $96 a month, I add a line and the tablet since I thought I would be saving $$$ in the longrun. The moment I activated the lines, I received the following bill with no explanation except that sorry but we will not waive your activation charges regardless of what out website stated. I was expecting around $150 a month without the tablet. $175 with it.

My Bill:

Monthly Statement
    Select Another Account

CustomerAccount NumberBill Period

Bill Date Bill Date

Printer-friendly Version (PDF)
    John TerrellJan 10-Feb 09Feb 13, 2012 Change Billing Preference

Hello!
    Sprint changed your service plan this month.  You may see an adjustment for a portion of your old plan, and charges  for your new plan.                                                    Plan Details Make Payment Now

Previous Balance$96.04
    Jan 26 Payment Check # 999999999999999999999999-$96.04
    Payment on Feb 03-$108.24
    Payment on Feb 09-$108.24
    New Charges
    Feb 03-Feb 09-Prorated Charges
    (214) 460-xxxx
    Feb 03 - Feb 09 Credit: Everything Data - 450 Anytime Minutes Included-$16.33
    Feb 04 - Feb 09 Credit: Premium Data add-on charge-$2.00
    Feb 03-Feb 09-Prorated Charges
    Feb 03 - Feb 09 Everything Data - 1500 Shared Anytime Minutes Included$25.67

(214) 460-xxxx
    Feb 03 - Feb 09 Premium Data add-on charge$2.33

(214) 454-xxxx
    Feb 03 - Feb 09 Everything Data - 1500 Shared Anytime Minutes Included$4.66
    Feb 03 - Feb 09 Premium Data add-on charge$2.33

Non-Prorated Charges

(214) 460-xxxx

(214) 454-xxxx
    Activation Fee-Additional Line$36.00
    Feb 10-Mar 09-New Shared Plan
    Everything Data - 1500 Shared Anytime Minutes Included$110.00

(214) 460-xxxx
    Premium Data add-on charge$10.00

(214) 454-xxxx
    Everything Data - 1500 Shared Anytime Minutes Included$19.99
    Premium Data add-on charge$10.00
    Feb 09-Feb 09-Single Plan - Prorated Charges
    (214) 562-xxxx
    Feb 09 - Feb 09 3G Tablet Conn Plan 1GB - 3G Tablet Data Plan$0.67

Single Plan

(214) 562-xxxx
    3G Tablet Conn Plan 1GB - 3G Tablet Data Plan$19.99
    Activation Fee-Additional Line$36.00
    Spending Limit Program Charge $4.99
    IPHONE 4 BLACK 8GB $108.24

ZTE V55 TABLET $108.24
    Sprint Surcharges $19.31
    Show DetailsShow Details And Explanation of Charges

Government  Fees & Taxes $18.34
    Show DetailsShow Details And Explanation of Charges

Total Due by March 04     $301.95
  • 84. Re: $36 activation fee?!
    dinka555 Newbie

i have been charged on an upgrade two ativation fees $36 each , they didnt mention at a time of extending contract , try talking with customer service they dont care , wouldnt help

i just cant belive that with taxes i have to pay allmost $80 for upgrade , i will make sure to check my bill each month and wont extend anymore with sprint for as long they have this fees

very unhappy , no trust

i guess this doesnt make them # 1 in customer service,cant have that title  lol

Message was edited by: dinka555

• 85. Re: $36 activation fee?!
    Catsailor2 Newbie

I got charged $36 X 3!  Moved to more expensive plan and more expensive phone - 12 year customer. 

And to think I was going to switch my primary home phone over to their service.  Not any more.

• 86. Re: $36 activation fee?!
    14KNIGHT Sprint Employee

Two lines of service are going to be 150.00 plus fees and taxes.  The activation fee for two lines is an additional 72 dollars one time, and the pro-ration which on the bill with out actually adding it looks to be about 30.00.  So there is about 102 dollars in charges that will not show up on a regular billing. I would guess with the two lines and the tablet the bill with taxes and charges would be about 200 to 210  depending on the tax area. If you would like to send me a private message I will get back to you with a better number    I would need your phone number and pin or security question to access the account I will not be in the office Wed or Thur

• 87. Re: $36 activation fee?!

Thanks for your feedback. With the sprint.com promotions from 1/17/12 to 1/25/12, and 2/5/12 to 2/8/12, the activation fee was automatically waived online if the order met the qualifications and was within the promotional period. The customer would not need to call into customer service to have the fee waived if they qualified for the promotion since it would be adjusted without them needing to do anything. 

If for some reason the order met all of the qualifications of the promotion but the customer was still charged the activation fee, then a customer service agent would be able to assist the customer in getting it corrected.

The most recent waived activation fee promotion on Sprint.com was valid from 2/5 – 2/8, and that promotion is no longer available. I sent the link you provided to our web team and that page has been updated.

Thanks,

Clarissa

• 88. Re: $36 activation fee?!

JuanRamone,

Your suggestions are important to us and I have submitted your feedback. Even though the Premier program is no longer available, Sprint will continue to look into other ways of rewarding loyal customers.

-Clarissa

• 89. $36 activation fee?!
    garrybuttner Newbie

When is the next promotion period for renewal free activations?  On a 5 line family plan that's been out of contract for a while, we're considering jumping ship to Verizon or AT&T.  But have heard of people being offered $70 renewal credits for 1 year and $100 renewal credits for 2 years...how does one get that?  That would counteract the activation fee for upgrading the phones on our plans.

1 4 5 6 7 8 20 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...