1 14 15 16 17 18 20 Previous Next 296 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2013 3:41 PM by photogravity Go to original post RSS
  • 225. On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?
    BILLBANAS1 Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

We tried to get our iPhone 4S to work in Canada. We couldn't get away  from a Sprint signal (whether 3G or Extended). We tried a foreign micro  SIM and the phone would not work. Sprint says the phone is unlocked. The  activiation screen pops up and the phone doesn't work - you can choose  to connect to a wifi network or itunes. If this happens when we're  overseas, we're dead in the water. If someone who has used a micro SIM  in their iPhone 4S overseas could let me know exactly what happens (or  the procedure you used), I'd really appreciate it!

• 226. On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?
    cmesurf Regular Visitor

I uses my Sprint Iphone 4s with overseas sim card and it worked fine. Make sure you turn off the phone and remove sprint sim card and install your foreign som card and turn it on and it should see the service provider of that sim card. I had no problems when I changed to sprint sim card when came back to US. I didn't even have to connect to itunes either time.

• 227. On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?
    Zzznorch Valued Member

Smalldog602 wrote:

Can I buy an AT&T GoPhone and use the SIM from that phone in my iPhone 4S for travel in Mexico?  Sprint's rates are silly for using their international roaming, and with AT&T's GoPhone's, it's only $.25/minute for roaming in Mexico.

Most likely, the answer is no.  Even after the 4S is unlocked for international use, there is still a lock in place preventing SIM's with an MCC of 310 or 311 (United States) from being used (316 is okay as that is Nextel).  The only domestic exception appears to be MCC-MNC 310-010 which is Verizon.  By doing a number analysis on my Sprint SIM's ICCID at http://www.numberingplans.com/?page=analysis&sub=simnr, I see the phone is unlocked domestically for MCC-MNC 310-010 and 316-010.  If it wasn't, the Sprint SIM would be rejected by the phone.

• 228. On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?
    Lazhil Regular Visitor

Alright so I got on the chat with Sprint International and was told they are unlocking both my iPhone 4S within 24 hours...

I guess it's pretty safe to assume I can't test until I'm overseas right or is there a way I can run some diagnosis or something that I can run to see it's unlocked for sure?

• 229. On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?
    Lazhil Regular Visitor

So I chatted with Sprint and they set both my iPhones to be unlocked.

They told me to wait 24 hours and then sync my phone with iTunes and that once I did that, the phone would be unlocked.

I did it, and the phone did not do anything.

I chatted with them and they said the phone was all set. Called them and they said that in their system it shows a Pending Unlock which is because they cannot monitor when my phone is synched with iTunes but that as long as I synched it, the phone is all set and unlocked.

Can someone confirm that's how it works?

• 230. On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?
    robrrt5 Regular Visitor

Yeah that's the only way it gets unlocked thru them. No message will pop up onitunes or on your phone. They only way to verify is call them back again to ask if it shows in their system that it's unlocked. When I tested my phone with an international sim card while in the states.. I kept getting an error message to insert a valid sim. It wasn't until I was physically in Mexico, my phone accepted an international sim card. But yeah you do have to connect thru iTunes and let it sync and just follow up with sprint on what ur phone's status says on their end.

• 231. On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?
    Zzznorch Valued Member

robrrt5 wrote:

The only way to verify is call them back again to ask if it shows in their system that it's unlocked.

An Apple Store can pull up the records as well.

• 232. On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?
    tungtran1968 Newbie

I did unlocked my iphone 4s today. when you conect your iphone 4s to itune and sync to unlock, it wont work like that , you have to restore your iphone 4s to its original setting and when the itune done restore the unlocked messege will pop up " Congratulation your phone have been unlocked " but make sure you back up your phone before restore. Good luck

• 233. On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?
    Lazhil Regular Visitor

Can anyone confirm the above post?

Also on a different note, if I backup my phone to the iCloud, how do I reset to factory default and then restore from my iCloud backup?

I've had my iPhone for a little over a month and I'm still learning... :-/

• 234. On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?
    Trav280 Regular Visitor

Here is some General Information about unlocking the iphone:

Your account must be over 90 days old. There is no way around this reqirement. You also cannot unlock the iphone if your account has the Account Spending Limit (ASL) program. The ASL is based on your credit ran when your service is setup. You will also get put into the ASL program if your account gets suspended for non payment. If you are ASL, the only way to get out of it is if your account has been established for over 18 months and you have to have 12 months of positive payment history (No Hotlines or Suspensions) to have it removed. Also your account balance must be current. If you are one day past your payment due dat, you will need to make the payment before the unlock can be processed.

If you meet these criteria, your iphone can be unlocked. Call Customer care and ask for the International Department, only they can process this for you. They will submit the iphone unlock request,  and it now only takes around 15 to 20 minutes for it to be unlocked. Then all you have to do is hook your iphone up to your computer, back it up to itunes, then restore the phone from itunes and it will be unlocked.

If you ever take the iphone off of your account, the phone will be locked again. It must be active on a line to be unlocked and stay active on that line to remain unlocked.

If you are traveling to a country that has both CDMA and GSM roaming available (like Canada, part of the Carribean - ask the International department they can tell you what is available where) once you get there and put in the prepaid international sim in the iphone, you will need to go into Settings - General - Network  and select the carrier that your prepaid sim came from. Otherwise the phone will pull from CDMA and not the Sim card and your usage will be charges to your Sprint account. Sprint Worldmode phones will always pull from CDMA first when it is available unless you change the settings in the phone.

An additional note about using your phone internationally - Always call sprint prior to the trip, as roaming partners and rates change frequently. If you are not using a prepaid sim and are using a Sprint Roaming partner, you will need to have an enabler code added to your line to allow the service, and ALWAYS remember to turn off your Data, it is VERY expensive to use through the Sprint roaming partners. And, if your account is under 90 days old and ASL status, you will have to visit a Sprint Store (not Best Buy or Radioshack) to verify a photo id and have the store reps call into the International Department as a security precaution before adding ANY international Services.

• 235. On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?
    Lazhil Regular Visitor

Can you back it up to iCloud?

How does the restore work? I've never done it and don't want to mess it up.

does the backup keep my current settings such as phone books, apps, folders, wallpapers, etc.?

• 236. On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?
    cmesurf Regular Visitor

Yes, you can backup on Icloud and it will restore to last known backup. Save everything.

• 237. On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?
    Smithchampaign Regular Visitor

Thanks for the helpful info.

Just to confirm, I can activate an iphone 4s as an upgrade on an existing line and get it unlocked immediately, it does not have to be on the line for 90 days before it can be unlocked -- correct?

• 238. Re: On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?
    Zzznorch Valued Member

Trav280 wrote:

If you are traveling to a country that has both CDMA and GSM roaming available (like Canada, part of the Carribean - ask the International department they can tell you what is available where) once you get there and put in the prepaid international sim in the iphone, you will need to go into Settings - General - Network  and select the carrier that your prepaid sim came from. Otherwise the phone will pull from CDMA and not the Sim card and your usage will be charges to your Sprint account. Sprint Worldmode phones will always pull from CDMA first when it is available unless you change the settings in the phone.

When I went to Canada in November, my phone started up and connected right to Rogers without any intervention on my part once I installed the Rogers micro-SIM.  The visible networks were Rogers, Bell and Telus (WIND appeared but only because their 2100MHz allocation is compatible - 1700MHz is not).  All UMTS carriers.  In fact, if I tried selecting either Bell or Telus, the phone would not connect and fall back to Rogers.

I should note that just before I crossed the border into Canada at Niagara Falls, I turned off all roaming on the iPhone and I left it off.

• 239. Re: On international travel with my iPhone 4S, can I use the local sim card instead of sprint roaming?
    willguy8 Newbie

Trav280 wrote:

Here is some General Information about unlocking the iphone:

Your account must be over 90 days old. There is no way around this reqirement. You also cannot unlock the iphone if your account has the Account Spending Limit (ASL) program. The ASL is based on your credit ran when your service is setup. You will also get put into the ASL program if your account gets suspended for non payment. If you are ASL, the only way to get out of it is if your account has been established for over 18 months and you have to have 12 months of positive payment history (No Hotlines or Suspensions) to have it removed. Also your account balance must be current. If you are one day past your payment due dat, you will need to make the payment before the unlock can be processed.

If you meet these criteria, your iphone can be unlocked. Call Customer care and ask for the International Department, only they can process this for you. They will submit the iphone unlock request,  and it now only takes around 15 to 20 minutes for it to be unlocked. Then all you have to do is hook your iphone up to your computer, back it up to itunes, then restore the phone from itunes and it will be unlocked.

If you ever take the iphone off of your account, the phone will be locked again. It must be active on a line to be unlocked and stay active on that line to remain unlocked.

An additional note about using your phone internationally - Always call sprint prior to the trip, as roaming partners and rates change frequently. If you are not using a prepaid sim and are using a Sprint Roaming partner, you will need to have an enabler code added to your line to allow the service, and ALWAYS remember to turn off your Data, it is VERY expensive to use through the Sprint roaming partners. And, if your account is under 90 days old and ASL status, you will have to visit a Sprint Store (not Best Buy or Radioshack) to verify a photo id and have the store reps call into the International Department as a security precaution before adding ANY international Services.

It says that" If you ever take the iphone off of your account, the phone will be locked again.". Does that means that if my contract is over with Sprint and i leave Sprint or upgrade to another phone, the iphone then is lock and could not be use overseas again? If we do not put in the Sprint sim, how do they lock it?

1 14 15 16 17 18 20 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points