This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2012 8:44 PM by blegs RSS

RE: Sprint not too enthusiastic on Windows Phones

cernajose Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

http://www.wpcentral.com/sprint-not-too-enthusiastic-windows-phones

I have two things to point out:

1. One model of a phone vs 30 android models - The arrive is a great phone just look at the ratings, however not everyone wants a bulky phone with a keyboard and small screen.

2. Sprint reps only push android phones, well now maybe iphones - Every time I go into a sprint store a rep tries to sell me the newest andriod phone. When I ask about the arrive usually they say:

I have not really tried that one

I dont know

Windows mobile is bugy and slow and old

I been with sprint for a long time I have 10 lines with them but unless they get some decent windows phones im out. I need a big screen, gsm world, sprint windows phone.

So what is your opinion on the subject?

Describe your perfect sprint windows phone?

PS http://signon.org/sign/wp7-on-sprint?source=c.url&r_by=1955143

• 1. RE: Sprint not too enthusiastic on Windows Phones
    Shane_M Sprint Employee

My personal opinion is that Windows Phones are really underrated. I love the new Windows phones and really like the changes they've made with their recent software updates. They don't have all the fragmentation that bogs down Android so software support and consistent updates are excellent from what I've experienced.

• 2. RE: Sprint not too enthusiastic on Windows Phones
    FredSmythe Regular Visitor

I like the changes WP7 has made in their software too, particularly the bugfixes. I sure wish Sprint would let me AVAIL MYSELF OF THEM. 'Cuz you know what? AT&T will.

• 3. Re: RE: Sprint not too enthusiastic on Windows Phones
    blegs Regular Visitor

See this article - there may be light at the end of the tunnel:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Microsoft-Phone-Windows-Phone-8-Sprint-Windows-Phone,news-14322.html

Now all we need is more apps for it. There are way too many companies that write apps for Apple and Android, but ignore the Windows platform.

Perhaps this has something to do with Microsoft's pricing models - one would think that they would do all they can to encourage apps, even if it costs them in the short run.

• 4. Re: RE: Sprint not too enthusiastic on Windows Phones

Yay, a new Windows Phone...

...that Sprint will promptly abandon if it fails to outsell the iPhone. Which it will, because you can't beat a juggernaut like that right now and Microsoft (rightly) is playing the long game.

Fool me once, et. al.

(MS is addressing the apps issue.)

• 5. Re: RE: Sprint not too enthusiastic on Windows Phones
    Doctorc4 Regular Visitor

Just curious what apps are missing?

• 6. Re: RE: Sprint not too enthusiastic on Windows Phones
    blegs Regular Visitor

To name just a few:

1. Starbucks payment (in Apple and Android)
    2. JP Morgan Chase Bank quick Deposit (in Apple and Android)
    3. Google Wallet - or something similar and as universally accepted
    4. Amazon Cloud Player

I can go on and on - everywhere I look, I see references to an app that is available for Android and Iphone. Nary a mention of Windows Phone. This may be one reason why people have not been more enthusiastic about switching to this platform.

Note - I am currently a Windows 6.5 user whose contract is up in May. I would love to continue when the Win 8 phone comes up, but would really like to see a more universal acceptance of the platform.

• 7. Re: RE: Sprint not too enthusiastic on Windows Phones
    Doctorc4 Regular Visitor

Interesting. Are these things that you use now, or items that you want added? Since you are on 6.5 (I was on 6.5 before moving to the iphone 3G, and then to the HTC Arrive), I don't think it is possible to even use these items. Once you are in/on the platform, you will find that there are TONS of apps. You can even look through the marketplace on the web to find stuff (You can even have the app sent to your phone from the website). The "There are no apps" line just isn't true. Netflix? Evernote? Gasbuddy? IMDB? Skype? A Roku remote? All there.

Personally, there is not a single one of those apps that you mentioned that I use or would use. Amazon Cloud player? That is what the Zune Pass is for. Alternate payment methods? I use cash, or my card. I see no reason for those apps. But hey, this is America, use whatever you want :-D

I wish that SquareUP had an app, and I wish that the Yelp app was better. But I haven't found an APP that couln't be replaced by the website (Except for SquareUP). But then again, I see people all gaga over instagram, or color, or path, or stuff like that and those things are just not things that I use or would use.

Thank gawd we all have a choice in the matter. Otherwise, we would all be forced to use apple products. :-D

Have a great day!

• 8. Re: RE: Sprint not too enthusiastic on Windows Phones

Amazon Cloud player? That is what the Zune Pass is for.

You are seriously suggesting a subscription service (that might not even HAVE the tracks you own) as a replacement for a (comparitively practically free, if not free outright) service that lets you listen to the music you already own? That is just about the most idiotic thing I've ever heard.

• 9. Re: RE: Sprint not too enthusiastic on Windows Phones
    Doctorc4 Regular Visitor

The Zune pass, (Which originally was $15 a month, could be used on 3 devices and came with 10 DRM Free downloads a month. Now currently $10 a month no free downloads, big step back, I admit it.)  is great for someone that has ecclectic and ever changing tastes. Take for instance my two daughters. They go through music like it is going out of style. Because every week, it is. When an album comes out, their friends are all grousing about how they need to buy more apple credits to get the music. My kids have the new albums the day that they come out. No extra charge. Now what if you want to keep it? Just pay for it. Done.

Now, you are asking about Amazon's Cloud Service. I have bought many MP3's from Amazon for wahtever reason. They are available in the cloud player. Awesome! Or... You could just download them and add them to your device. Not to shabby, huh? But what about stuff you don't already own?

Here is an example. I run a Kielbasa Kart in the local park (www.wiebesnacken.com if you are interested.). I play music off of my phone through a bluetooth speaker that I have setup under my canopy. What is interesting, is that I have hundreds of songs on that playlist, and I didn't pay extra for any of them. If I get out there, and decide that it is not suitable for the environment, I delete it. No harm, no foul, no money lost. Now what if someone comes up and says, "I wish that you would play more Bob Dylan." You got it! I grab the phone, type in Bob Dylan, ask what their favorite song is, and BAM. It is playing on the speaker in mere moments. This is something fresh that was not in my collection. THAT is the power of the Zune Pass.

• 10. Re: RE: Sprint not too enthusiastic on Windows Phones

Yeah, thanks, I've worked at Microsoft, I'm very aware of how the Zune Pass works.

It is still not an analog, technically or financially, to Amazon Cloud Player. I'm not saying it's not a great value; it absolutely is, for all of the reasons you suggest. (Although I seriously SERIOUSLY question the legality of your example. I guarantee you you're not licensed for public performance, which is what you're doing.) But I maintain that "you don't need that free app; here's a paid service that does something completely different that you should use instead!" is a beyond-idiotic argument.

• 11. Re: RE: Sprint not too enthusiastic on Windows Phones
    Shane_M Sprint Employee

blegs,

There's a lot of articles about NFC (near field communication) enabled phones which is what Google wallet uses coming to Apple/Windows phones supposedly this year. Hopefully these reports are accurate.

• 12. Re: RE: Sprint not too enthusiastic on Windows Phones
    Doctorc4 Regular Visitor

It is not idiotic at all. Amazon Cloud Player plays music that you already own. Period. You buy it, you can play it. Great! What if you don't own it? Then what do you do? You buy it, right? For about $1 each. After a few of those purchases, you could have just had a service that allows you to grab a WHOLE catalog of songs, instead of the few that you just paid for.

Here's a free App. Spotify. Yup. It is on there.

Happy now? :-D

• 13. Re: RE: Sprint not too enthusiastic on Windows Phones

It is not idiotic at all. Amazon Cloud Player plays music that you already own. Period.

That's the exact freakin' point.

Here's a free App. Spotify. Yup. It is on there.

a) Spotify is another paid service, especially and specifically if you want to use it on a mobile device.

b) The level to which you don't get it is truly staggering.

• 14. Re: RE: Sprint not too enthusiastic on Windows Phones
    blegs Regular Visitor

Here's another app that is not offered for Windows Phones:

SiriusXM Internet Radio

I have a Zunepass - I am one of the few who bought a Zune HD player. I like the Zunepass, but I don't consider them one and the same. Each has it's own strengths and weaknesses. As an Amazon Prime user, I get quite a bit of space on their cloud player site, and would like to have the ability to access it with a Windows phone.

I am sure that there are many more. If you wish, I will continue to add them whenever I run across one.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...