This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2012 4:58 AM by NiteWlkr Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: Whats up with 4G
    IMNOTDAVIDXNSX5 Valued Member
    Currently Being Moderated

Here's a conversation that someone else posted where they were told in writing that wimax is no longer expanding.  The person in chat still tries to convince him that wimax is not a bad purchase choice, as usual...

-------------------------------------------------------

Well here is the thing, i was thinking about getting a new 4G phone and I  realized they are no longer going to be supporintg WiMax and jump over  to LTE.   If if you bought a WiMax phone in hopes that it would improve  over time, forget it... it will not and they are rolling out 4G LTE in 6  months... Here is a chat I had with a Sprint Rep just now...I hope I  asked the right questions and I was not rude to her.  Here it says "you"  it is me asking the questions.  

| Megan: Thank you for visiting Sprint. What questions can I answer for you today? |

| You: will the Samsung Galaxy S? ll, Epic work on your future 4G LTE network ? |

| Megan: I would be glad to give you more information on phones. |

|  Megan: Let's move this chat and make it a window of its own. That way,  you'll still see this web page while we chat. Please click 'Yes' to move  it now. |

| Megan: Simply click on the white "Yes" button below and we can continue. |

| You: ok done |

| You: will the Samsung Galaxy S? ll, Epic work on your future 4G LTE network ? |

| Megan: Thank you for moving the chat. |

| Megan: Samsung Galaxy S ll, Epic will not works on LTE network, this phone is not compatible with LTE. |

| You: are has sprint stopped expanding Wimax? |

| You: and.. has sprint stopped expanding Wimax? |

| You: sorry for the typo |

| Megan: No problem! |

|  Megan: Sprint expects to support WiMAX customers throughout the life of  their device. WiMAX customers should continue to get their great 4G  speeds and customer experience they've been enjoying since Sprint  launched the country's first 4G network from a national carrier in 2008.  |

| Megan: Sprint will continue to sell WiMAX devices through 2012.  There are no current plans to take down the WiMAX network or to shift  our customers off this network. |

| You: but ... you are not expanding no wima |

| You: x |

| Megan: Yes, you are right. |

|  Megan: Phones that are WiMAX capable will not run on the LTE network,  however, WiMAX will coexist for years with LTS, so WiMAX phones will not  become obsolete once we launch LTE. Separate devices created with the  LTE specific chipset, antenna, and other hardware will be made available  to use on the LTE network. |

| Megan: Are there any other questions I can help with? |

| You: hhg |

| You: sooo |

| You: If I already have spotty coverage on WiMax already I am losing out |

| You: why should I extend or even become a customer with Sprint if I am not going to see improvement on your network |

| Megan: Throughout 2012 Sprint will be working to add 4G LTE, and improve existing 3G coverage. |

|  Megan: Customers in Dallas, Atlanta, Houston and San Antonino are  scheduled to receive 4G LTE coverage in the first half of 2012. |

| Megan: Please Click Here (

http://www.sprint.com/landings/lte/index.html?ECID=vanity:4glte#notify)

to sign up for updates on LTE coverage. |

|  You: If a customer that doesnt know to ask these questions, do you tell  customers about the above? Like your 4G wimax phone the coverage wont  be expending and your LTE phone your are selling will only work on above  regions. |

| Megan: Right now I also do not have complete  information regarding this service, I would recommend you to call our  customer care at 1-888-211-4727. |

| You: OK but on the number to call I would be speaking to someone like you, why can't you answer me? |

|  Megan: This service is yet not launched and we have very limited  information and I gave you all information regarding this, which I know.  |

| Megan: You will get concerned department at customer care this regard. |

| Megan: Please Click Here (

http://www.sprint.com/landings/lte/index.html?ECID=vanity:4glte#notify)

to sign up for updates on the Galaxy Nexus and other 4G LTE devices. |

• 31. Re: Whats up with 4G
    BARSMONEY1 Newbie
    We do not charge for "4G Service". Our $10.00 Premium Data charge is for all Smartphones, regardless if they are 3G only or 3G/4G.

This is completely untrue. I originally signed up for data service with the HTC Hero on 3G and was told that I had to pay an additional $10/per month when I upgraded to the EVO for 4G service. I have the statements to prove it.

I have been contemplating a switch for the last 2 years and now I have seen enough BS to finally pull the trigger. I have been paying extra money for a service that is unavailable most of the time and drains my devices battery life within a matter of minutes when in use anyway. All I can say is WOW.

It's funny that I also had the same exact experience with the $20 credit. They offered it to me 2 years ago when I wanted to leave for AT&T and the iPhone (saying it would be permanent). Now it's gone. And so am I...

Goodbye Sprint!!!

• 32. Whats up with 4G
    TMEPS775 Newbie

You are exactly correect, the 10.00 data plan ruse is just that, a ruse. I upgraded to the GS2 months ago under the auspices that 4G would be coming to Reno soon. Now I find my GS2 won't even work w/ LTE when/if it ever arrives here. I've hung in there w/ Sprint for years. They have good coverage in my area. However, I think I've finally reached my fill. No 4G for the foreseeble future, no LTE, & paying for something I won't get. I'm going to grin & bare it & buy out my 5 phone contract & move to Verizon. I have friends who have been there forever & they LOVE it. They're never treated like the ugly step children like here at Sprint. Sprint doesn't even make the effort to keep their clients happy.

Sorry, but it was your own doing.

• 33. Whats up with 4G
    harmlesslyfatal8 Regular Visitor

I totally get your point. Also, if you're still reading this forum, I would like to see the letter you sent to Sprint's legal department. I was told when I bought my Photon 4G that WiMax was still being rolled out, and I've been quoted several times that my area would have service by 2012.. well, it's February, and they stopped rolling out WiMax more than a year ago.

I'm almost tempted, but almost not, to switch to Verizon. LTE has been here with Verizon since beginning 2011. It is possible that I will just eat the ETF.

• 34. Whats up with 4G
    rodv1966 Valued Member

Sprint 4 g is a joke.  I was told in august 2010 that nj would be covered so I, bought two epics.  I was told I had to pay 10$ a month extra for 4g.  At that time, only 4g phones had that charge, so for sprint to say at that time it was not a 4g charge is a flat out lie.  Ever since last september, the 3g stinks as well.  I used to have good signal and could use, my phone at work and in town, but now I have dead zones and slow data all over this area.  To top it of, they have 4g in only a few towns and even then, it keeps disconnecting.  I feel so played by sprint and I still don't know why I' mexpected too keep my end of a contact, when sprint isn't providing what they were before last september.  I'm not canceling and paying any etf, but I'm counting the days until this august when I can tell sprint I want a .divorce

• 35. Whats up with 4G
    rodv1966 Valued Member

So sick of sprint salespeople lying to you and the company refuses to do anything about it.  In august 2010, I bought two epics and paid the extra ten bucks a month for each one because I was told the 4g service was coming in a month our two.  It is a great and a half later and no 4g.  I think sprint owes metwenty bucks a month since when I signed on because then, only the evos and epics has the charge., if I knew sprint lied to me, I wouldn't have bought a 4g phone

• 36. Re: Whats up with 4G
    rodv1966 Valued Member

Hey imnot,

private mail me if you wany my story in detail.  I have been arguing about the lack of  4g and the deteriorations in, both call quality and 3g coverage since september.  My phone and text quality were very good before then and have been bad ever since., I have made calls, emails and postings, but nothing except the attitude that you are stuck under contact and tough luck if your service isn't what it was in the fiesta 30 of service, when I could have canceled.

These sprint reps are giving canned responses from their legal department and still can't answer one basic question.  If there wa no wrong information given by sprint staff about the 4g charges and availability, why are there so many stories from customs, cross country claiming it.  We all didn't get together and make it up.  We were lied to by sprint employees and should be reimbursed.

• 37. Re: Whats up with 4G
    mapesy Sprint Admin

IMNOTDAVIDXNSX5,

I rejected your last two posts as they contained content not in line with the Sprint Community Guidelines.

As it states under Do not post inappropriate content section:

• Content relating to current, future, or proposed lawsuits for Sprint.  This is not the forum for legal issues with Sprint, and we are not allowed to discuss ongoing litigation.  Do not solicit class action clients.

mapesy

• 38. Re: Whats up with 4G

mapesy wrote:

IMNOTDAVIDXNSX5,

I rejected your last two posts as they contained content not in line with the Sprint Community Guidelines.

As it states under Do not post inappropriate content section:

• Content relating to current, future, or proposed lawsuits for Sprint.  This is not the forum for legal issues with Sprint, and we are not allowed to discuss ongoing litigation.  Do not solicit class action clients.

mapesy

I mentioned an ongoing arbitration dispute.  Arbitration is not litigation nor does it even take place at a court...

• 39. Re: Whats up with 4G

Yeah, they're obviously not intelligent enough to realise this. I probably won't be affected, but I'm switching anyway. The speeds that I can get with Verizon for just a little more per month? I think I'll take it, especially since I've had so many people continuously tell me that WiMax is still rolling out. They continue to actually reiterate that Sprint is still rolling out 4G, yet they won't give out details, as they don't have them, yet they can tell us, without a doubt, that WiMax is on its way here. It's ridiculous.

They won't inform their customers, they won't even inform their employees of what's going on, so why should I stick around through all of this?

Edit: I just got off the phone with a supervisor in Technical Support. She told me that Sprint was definitely not rolling out more WiMax towers because of the conversion to LTE. Sprint may be adding 4G towers, but they're not WiMax, and they definitely aren't adding any LTE towers currently. Besides, LTE won't be going to any new areas. It'll be going to markets that already have WiMax services. i.e. Dallas, Chicago, Charlotte, etc. Newer markets won't be til Q3, if they're lucky.

Edit2: This is coming one day after a supervisor in Account Services told me that Sprint is STILL rolling out WiMax. She reiterated it numerous times. I have been told by telesales, account services, just to name a couple, that WiMax is still being rolled out to new markets. According to Sprint, they're going to try to have LTE in I think 295 markets by the end of 2013, covering more than 250 million people. Verizon Wireless 4G LTE is currently in 214 markets, covering more than 200 million people. Sprint has a LONG way to go to even think about catching up. They won't be able to keep their unlimited data plans, either.

Back in September, I went to Dallas. Dallas, as we all should know, has 4G through Sprint. My connection was spotty at best, and when I did get a full connection, it maxed out at 11mbps. Three days ago, I went to a Verizon Wireless store to look at the RAZR Maxx. 24181 kbps connection.. near my home town. Tulsa isn't a 4G market for Sprint. That is why I am switching and will be willing to pay an extra $35 a month.

• 40. Re: Whats up with 4G
    THOMSON9541 Regular Visitor

In another message I asked which phones were Wimax and LTE.  The anwser was all are WiMax.  My present phone is the EVO 4G and has never been on 4G.  Since WiMax is dead guess it will never will.  My question is why would anyone buy a phone from Sprint at this point in time since they have no phones that operate on the system they are installing?

• 41. Re: Whats up with 4G

harmlesslyfatal8 wrote:

Yeah, they're obviously not intelligent enough to realise this. I probably won't be affected, but I'm switching anyway. The speeds that I can get with Verizon for just a little more per month? I think I'll take it, especially since I've had so many people continuously tell me that WiMax is still rolling out. They continue to actually reiterate that Sprint is still rolling out 4G, yet they won't give out details, as they don't have them, yet they can tell us, without a doubt, that WiMax is on its way here. It's ridiculous.

They won't inform their customers, they won't even inform their employees of what's going on, so why should I stick around through all of this?

Edit: I just got off the phone with a supervisor in Technical Support. She told me that Sprint was definitely not rolling out more WiMax towers because of the conversion to LTE. Sprint may be adding 4G towers, but they're not WiMax, and they definitely aren't adding any LTE towers currently. Besides, LTE won't be going to any new areas. It'll be going to markets that already have WiMax services. i.e. Dallas, Chicago, Charlotte, etc. Newer markets won't be til Q3, if they're lucky.

Edit2: This is coming one day after a supervisor in Account Services told me that Sprint is STILL rolling out WiMax. She reiterated it numerous times. I have been told by telesales, account services, just to name a couple, that WiMax is still being rolled out to new markets. According to Sprint, they're going to try to have LTE in I think 295 markets by the end of 2013, covering more than 250 million people. Verizon Wireless 4G LTE is currently in 214 markets, covering more than 200 million people. Sprint has a LONG way to go to even think about catching up. They won't be able to keep their unlimited data plans, either.

Back in September, I went to Dallas. Dallas, as we all should know, has 4G through Sprint. My connection was spotty at best, and when I did get a full connection, it maxed out at 11mbps. Three days ago, I went to a Verizon Wireless store to look at the RAZR Maxx. 24181 kbps connection.. near my home town. Tulsa isn't a 4G market for Sprint. That is why I am switching and will be willing to pay an extra $35 a month.

Thanks so much for this post.  VERY informative and very supportive of what i've been saying.  I'm definitely printing this out and adding it to my collection.

• 42. Re: Whats up with 4G

THOMSON9541 wrote:

In another message I asked which phones were Wimax and LTE.  The anwser was all are WiMax.  My present phone is the EVO 4G and has never been on 4G.  Since WiMax is dead guess it will never will.  My question is why would anyone buy a phone from Sprint at this point in time since they have no phones that operate on the system they are installing?

Exactly.  your last question leads to exactly why sprint is lying to people about WIMAX.  because why the heck else would anyone buy those phones anymore?  They have to keep telling people that WIMAX is expanding or else they're going to lose millions in the phones just sitting at their wherehouse.

• 43. Re: Whats up with 4G

The only reason people should even consider buying a WiMAX compatible device is if they currently live in a WiMAX market. If they don't currently reside in one, or travel to one often, then they're wasting money. They could buy a 4S for the same price to get the same usage out of it, without worrying about not having 4G.

Btw, I have already switched to Verizon. I am on a 10GB plan that I will probably never come close to. I get a 20% discount through my employer, that I would have had to sign a new contract for at Sprint. Anyway, my LTE speeds are tremendously fast. On average during peak hours (8am-8pmish) I get 8-12mbps download. Upload is constantly fluctuating. However, during nonpeak hours, I get insanely faster speeds. I've gotten anywhere from 22mbps to 37mbps download. Upload still fluctuates a lot.

Just giving you guys an idea on what you might look for. If you have any questions, email me at harmlesslyfatal@hotmail.com and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

• 44. Re: Whats up with 4G
    NiteWlkr Regular Visitor

I agree. I was "sold" with the same pitch. Granted, I didn't purchase the phone under duress but it was definitely part of the bargain; that 4g speeds would make the phone more usable and result in more data transfers thus-the extra fee. I know I am responding late and randomly to this thread. Unfortunately I was off and away finishing grad school. But I am not trolling I can promise you that. Please contact me regarding this issue of false and deceptive trade practice by Sprint. If you haven't gathered, by grad school I meant law school and this is looking to me like the beginning of a legal $&!@ storm.

Best,

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...