This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2012 8:16 PM by Kizzel00 RSS

Any options other than paying full cost?

Excess3000 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I bought the HTC Evo 4G when it came out and recently had it replaced via insurance because of a crack in the old one.  Both phones have had terrible issues with programs trying to download in the background and never actually doing so, programs running in the background and restarting even if force to class, and programs crashing. Not to mention I was told that 4G reception was great in the area and right after leaving the mall, found that I rarely get 4G in my area.  My first Evo had the extended battery but that thing died.  I refuse to buy another extended batter.  I am not elligible for an upgrade until October but am not sure I can handle using this horrible phone for another 9 months.  This is my third android and have not been impressed with any of them, so though I really do not like Apple, it looks like iphone is my only viable option.  Best buy will only offer 30 dollars for trade in of this phone.

So the question is, is there any other options for getting rid of the phone and getting something else without paying full price?  This phone is horrible.

• 1. Any options other than paying full cost?
    Shane_M Sprint Employee

Excess3000,

I'm sorry to hear you've had a poor experience with the HTC EVO. Since you're looking for alternate options of changing devices before your upgrade eligible I know that we offer $90 from the Sprint Buyback program and last I checked you could get around $100 on eBay as well. There's used iPhone's on eBay with Sprint you could get for under $300. If you're open for something other than the iPhone we also have refurbished devices you can purchase at a discounted rate on this site under shop > phones.

• 2. Re: Any options other than paying full cost?
    VorlessDarkChaos Silver Expert

Excess3000 wrote:

I bought the HTC Evo 4G when it came out and recently had it replaced via insurance because of a crack in the old one.  Both phones have had terrible issues with programs trying to download in the background and never actually doing so, programs running in the background and restarting even if force to class, and programs crashing. Not to mention I was told that 4G reception was great in the area and right after leaving the mall, found that I rarely get 4G in my area.  My first Evo had the extended battery but that thing died.  I refuse to buy another extended batter.  I am not elligible for an upgrade until October but am not sure I can handle using this horrible phone for another 9 months.  This is my third android and have not been impressed with any of them, so though I really do not like Apple, it looks like iphone is my only viable option.  Best buy will only offer 30 dollars for trade in of this phone.

So the question is, is there any other options for getting rid of the phone and getting something else without paying full price?  This phone is horrible.

Check this out http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-57376667-85/sprint-upgrade-now-program-to-offer-prorated-fees/

Sprint is offering select subscribers a chance to upgrade their handset, even if they aren't eligible for the "New for You" pricing.

According to a leaked internal document scooped up by SprintFeed, the carrier is providing prorated upgrade fees that range from the typical $36 on up to $165. Provided the customers meets the criteria, they can renew their plan and pick up a new smartphone at a somewhat reasonable price.

Take, for instance, the Samsung Epic Touch 4G, which Sprint offers for $199.99 with a two-year service agreement. Outright, you would pay a hefty $499.99 if you opted to buy the handset without a contract.

Under the promotional program, though, even the highest upgrade rate of $165 would result in a total price of $365, or $135 less than normal. Depending on how badly you want that hot new device, it would make for a tough decision.

Looking through the finer print it appears that Sprint isn't proactively hunting customers down to tell them the good news. As SprintFeed advises, the deal should be offered only at corporate locations and will run just a month, from February 12 through March 14.

If you're in the market for a new device and can't wait to ride out the rest of your contract, check to see if your local store will honor the "Upgrade Now" program. Though some of the comments on the original SprintFeed blog post indicate that the carrier has turned away a couple of users already, it never hurts to ask. And keep in mind that the promotion will not apply to corporate wireless accounts, Airaves, tablets, or iDen devices.

Read more:

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-57376667-85/sprint-upgrade-now-program-to-offer-prorated-fees/#ixzz1n8dAnJf8

Message was edited by: VorlessDarkChaos

• 3. Any options other than paying full cost?
    Kizzel00 Regular Visitor

I know it says "Only at the Corporate Locations" But, I work at radioshack, and I have had a couple customers who called sprint, paid the fee to upgrade early, and my SNAP portal allowed me to upgrade their phones.

• 4. Any options other than paying full cost?
    Levi4u Master

The ones that came to you got offered retentions(save desk) Buy up, This is a Upgrade Now Buy out program, 2 different programs.

Kizzel00 wrote:

I know it says "Only at the Corporate Locations" But, I work at radioshack, and I have had a couple customers who called sprint, paid the fee to upgrade early, and my SNAP portal allowed me to upgrade their phones.

• 5. Any options other than paying full cost?
    Kizzel00 Regular Visitor

Ahh ok that my makes sense, these things dont get explained to us haha

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points